What's new

Tom Ford (vulgarity) Fabulous

Ad Astra

The Instigator
An ad for this popped up. :001_huh:

I thought the site was hacked. :001_unsur But this is a real thing by Tom Ford.

Seriously.:07:

I'm not a prude. I have used this word (ahem).:a32:

But really- do you want kids seeing, using or thinking the ***-word is OK?:001_cool:

AA

I believe there are far better words to convey meaning than using vulgar language. I wouldn't purchase the product simply for that reason. I also wouldn't want to be hit in the head with the bottle when my wife throws it at me. She's even less of a fan of the word than I am. As to the ad popping up on the site, there are algorithms that rotate various ads and the site likely has little control over the content.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I believe there are far better words to convey meaning than using vulgar language. I wouldn't purchase the product simply for that reason. I also wouldn't want to be hit in the head with the bottle when my wife throws it at me. She's even less of a fan of the word than I am. As to the ad popping up on the site, there are algorithms that rotate various ads and the site likely has little control over the content.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Oh, it wasn't THIS site - it was actually my local newspaper's "news" site! Which kids and everybody can see.

I'm shaking my head. If "words hurt," how does it play to trivialize the worst word in English to a product name?

AA

obscenities should be used in moderation, otherwise they lose potency. South Park had a great episode on another word becoming too maintstream until everybody was using it constantly. Swearing should have an impact that makes people stop and listen. If it's on every bottle, then it is worthless.

Sounds to me like more of the "bold, daring, outrageous" stereotype of the fashion world. The name of this fragrance is totally in-character for that industry. Remember the Calvin Klein ad from the nineties that everyone got all up in arms about, where the guy behind the camera is talking to what looks like a teenager in a wood-paneled basement?

This is a tried and true marketing strategy. It plays on the nerves or most people but galvanizes people who would pay the $320.00 for it at Neman Marcus.
proxy.php

Oh, it wasn't THIS site - it was actually my local newspaper's "news" site! Which kids and everybody can see.

I'm shaking my head. If "words hurt," how does it play to trivialize the worst word in English to a product name?

AA

I know you're not a prude, Mike, but I think this one will be a losing battle for American culture. I predict that "that" word will soon become part of mainstream speech. You see and hear it in some of these video games these kids are playing now... doesn't help with parents who seem to raise their offspring with a free rein. Manners are thrown on the back burner now.

Don

I guess it's a Tom Ford thing. Tuscan Leather is supposed to smell like cocaine. Black Orchid like ladies panties. I've never actually seen either of those descriptions in advertising copy, but I've heard it all over. He (and his corporation) likes pushing buttons. To his credit, he manages to bring edgy, challenging fragrances to the shopping mall, and most of what I've tried lives up to the hype. I think that's a hard deal to pull off.

I haven't tried this one, but the reviews I read just now over at basenotes are pretty funny. I imagine Ford has gotten a lot of buzz out of the indignation this has stirred. It doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. French Connection UK has been mining this particular turn of phrase for a while. Given the surprisingly stupid and racist advertising that the fashion industry generates year after year, this could have been a lot worse. Frankly, those of us who are upset by it are probably not his target audience.

The scent is good, I agree that the name could use some classing up. I've noticed retailers cover up the word on the packaging. I'm far from a prude, I'm a soldier (I've also worked with the Navy) so I'm not easily offended and some of these words are in my work vocabulary, I also had a father that taught me automotive repair (also increased my vocabulary) but when I put on a suit and tie I don't use these words and that's what it is, I'll still wear this scent because it is fabulous, but at the end of the day Mr. Ford has done what he set out to do cause buzz.

Given the surprisingly stupid and racist advertising that the fashion industry generates year after year, this could have been a lot worse. Frankly, those of us who are upset by it are probably not his target audience.

Yep, there is that. Once again, The Nid Hog shows his wisdom.

Don

Sampled it last week when visiting the local branch of House of Fraser, which carries the private blend line. The word was blacked out on the bottle and they had a poster with the word crossed out with red lipstick. It's nice but was instantly overshadowed for me by Ombré Leather- if you're a fan of Tuscan Leather this is really worth a try.

Top Bottom