What's new

Toilet paper

After several months of successful shaves, I cleaned my blade with a mild polish, using toilet paper. The edge seems to be shot now.

I didn’t cut the toilet paper, or apply pressure to the edge, but could that have dulled the blade? After running 300 laps on a Naniwa 12K, it is still disappointing.

Should I run it on an 8K, or even a 4K to bring it back? I don’t want to go down to too low of a grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear, I wasn’t polishing the edge. The tarnish was a good 1/4” above the edge, but the toilet paper would touch the edge now and again.

The tip of the edge is the thinnest part of the blade. Polishes work by removing metal. And many of those same polishing compounds can be used to touch up an edge. One example is cromox. So if it can sharpen the edge it can dull it as well.

The tip of the edge is the thinnest part of the blade. Polishes work by removing metal. And many of those same polishing compounds can be used to touch up an edge. One example is cromox. So if it can sharpen the edge it can dull it as well.

That’s understood, but I wasn’t polishing the edge or applying paste to it. The toilet paper would occasionally drag across the edge though. I know paper can dull a knife quickly and maybe a razor’s edge is so fine that toilet paper can fill it.

I have done the same as you explained, but never had edge issues afterward. If the paper did catch the edge I would have thought a couple of 12k laps would fix that.

Did you strop well after 12k?

Something dulled the edge. So I'm going to say it was the polish. Unless someone thinks it could be something else. Lol

I have done the same as you explained, but never had edge issues afterward. If the paper did catch the edge I would have thought a couple of 12k laps would fix that.

Did you strop well after 12k?

I did strop. Well might be subjective:). I just hate to go down to lower grit unnecessarily.

Something dulled the edge. So I'm going to say it was the polish. Unless someone thinks it could be something else. Lol

I’m not ruling that out. Some might have got on the edge and I wiped it off not thinking, but I didn’t rub the edge.

I would hit it with my 1k. And bring it up to whatever you finish it on. it's unlikely any of us will live long enough to wear a razor out.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A few laps on 1k won't hurt anything. Remember, you may weii never have to do it again. But unlike a full bevel set, there is no need to use any great amount of pressure. Run your progression as usual, and you should be good.

A few laps on 1k won't hurt anything. Remember, you may weii never have to do it again. But unlike a full bevel set, there is no need to use any great amount of pressure. Run your progression as usual, and you should be good.

I will do so. It’s just crazy that it was shaving fine yesterday.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s almost certainly the metal polish. I use lint-free paper towel squares with jnat slurry on them to clean soap residue off my razors after shaving and before stropping, but you can’t hit the bevel. Never had a problem, and I’m on shave #45 on a Filly that I’m testing that’s been cleaned that way every shave. Metal polish on bevel = rehone.

It’s almost certainly the metal polish. I use lint-free paper towel squares with jnat slurry on them to clean soap residue off my razors after shaving and before stropping, but you can’t hit the bevel. Never had a problem, and I’m on shave #45 on a Filly that I’m testing that’s been cleaned that way every shave. Metal polish on bevel = rehone.

I get black spotting above the edge. I don’t think it’s soap. I rinse and dry thoroughly, so I minder of it’s blood from really minor nicks. Don’t know.

I get black spotting above the edge. I don’t think it’s soap. I rinse and dry thoroughly, so I minder of it’s blood from really minor nicks. Don’t know.

Do you use an alum block to get a better grip?
Just abit of alum on the razor can discolor it.

Do you use an alum block to get a better grip?
Just abit of alum on the razor can discolor it.

No. I’m done shaving and showering before I use alum. The razor is stropped and put away before my shower.

I ran her in from 1K to 4K to 8K to 12K. I need to spend more time on the edge, but it shaved well. Now to figure out what causes the small black spots and how to safely clean them. Either that or quit being obsessive.

What works for me is after shaving I dry with a towel then strop then spray with clippercide. I have zero issues with rust, water marks etc. I do leave the blade scales open to dry out for a day minimum.

Top Bottom