What's new

Toggle

Since I'm posting pics tonight, here is something that I found this last July and I've been shaving with it since then. I love shaving with it.

It's not a bad looker, but like others I've read about, the adjuster doesn't work. At first, I couldn't get the adjuster to spin much, but after much soaking and gentle twisting back and forth, I got it to spin the whole way. But no luck on getting the adjuster to actually adjust. So it's stuck where ever it was last adjusted to. I think it maybe 4 or so. It's pretty mild shave - better then a Tech. Still, I get a darn good shave out of it and just love the design.

When I found it at the antique fair, it was at the end of the day. It was sitting in a bowl with knick-knacks. $8. I figure it was worth a go. So it doesn't work, I still like it.

I don't think it's worth it to try and fix it. I would hate to completely break the darn thing.

-jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had several Gillette adjustables that were stuck like yours. You could give it a shot of penetrating oil down the handle, let it sit for a day, then give it a soak in soapy water to rinse out the oil. Might take a couple times but eventually that adjuster will come loose. It's just gunked up. Or you could send it to Cap for disassembly and cleaning.

I've had several Gillette adjustables that were stuck like yours. You could give it a shot of penetrating oil down the handle, let it sit for a day, then give it a soak in soapy water to rinse out the oil. Might take a couple times but eventually that adjuster will come loose. It's just gunked up. Or you could send it to Cap for disassembly and cleaning.

thanks, but it's not stuck anymore - the adjuster spins freely from 1 to 9 and back again. It's just not adjusting. No tension, no adjusting. open or closed.

-jim

When I found it at the antique fair, it was at the end of the day. It was sitting in a bowl with knick-knacks. $8. I figure it was worth a go. So it doesn't work, I still like it.

I don't think it's worth it to try and fix it. I would hate to completely break the darn thing.

-jim

For what you paid for it and what they go for these days it might be worth exploring what it would cost to fix it.

Bob

$8 is a real steal. As others have noted, send it to Capt. Murphy for some TLC and you will be amazed.

thanks, but it's not stuck anymore - the adjuster spins freely from 1 to 9 and back again. It's just not adjusting. No tension, no adjusting. open or closed.

-jim
Yep, got that in your previous post. Like I said, I've had several adjustables like that (not toggles unfortunately :)). Even though the dial turns, if the adjusting mechanism doesn't move, it's probably just gunked up and you can free it with some penetrating oil and soaks in soapy water. Soapy water on its own might eventually work but I've found for really stubborn ones, they need a little more than that. I guess there's a possibility that you've got a broken spring or something but I don't think it's all that likely. Disassembly and cleaning/repair by Cap is also a good option to get it back in great working shape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom