What's new

Toggle Toggle, Toggle Toggle goes the Turkey

$Icon2.jpg

I do not see $10,000 Toggles by 2015 and don't think anyone is thinking that. More like that Toggles separated from the pack and show no signs of dropping back.

+1

Yep, the toggle has become one of the most desirable razors and people are willing to pay almost any price to have one. It all boils down to availability, there were not that many toggles produced as compared to other models and the cost was more.

It seems that people received them as gifts and didn't use them. They were put away and were looked at as something special. If my father received one, I know he would have put it away and used his super-speed. He grew up in the depression and people of that era were savers, especially when items of a perceived value were given. To me this seems to me that this is the reason for many toggles that are in mint condition with the warranty card and case intact. If you think about it there were many more super-speeds produced in that time frame and you very rarely see one in mint condition with instructions. People used super-speeds and I doubt they were given as gifts.

I have seen it for last five years, in all honesty a trend has been permanently set. I dont see any other razor model out pricing it at this level.

There is no way to be certain if a current trend is permanently set for the future. There are many examples of collectible trends that have completely fallen off, and many people wasted a lot of money because they thought the trends would continue. My point is that unless you have a crystal ball, there is no way to know whether a trend will continue or fail in the future because there are too many unknown factors in the future. So if you're buying the toggle because you really want one as a collector, that's great, but if you think that you can buy one now and sell it for twice the amount 5 years from now, that may not be the case.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is no way to be certain if a current trend is permanently set for the future. There are many examples of collectible trends that have completely fallen off, and many people wasted a lot of money because they thought the trends would continue. My point is that unless you have a crystal ball, there is no way to know whether a trend will continue or fail in the future because there are too many unknown factors in the future. So if you're buying the toggle because you really want one as a collector, that's great, but if you think that you can buy one now and sell it for twice the amount 5 years from now, that may not be the case.

Yep.
Like in 2014 when they find the abandoned warehouse in Boston with 73,000 mint NOS toggles.

Wait it out? William, you over see and manage a world leading business, you should realize that this trend may be here for long time.

First off, Alex...I am a CoMgr at Walmart. Please don't make it sound like I am a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. :biggrin1:
I have no doubt that you may be correct about the Toggles pricing. I definitely defer to you in razor knowledge. What I meant by my statement was that for me, over $400 for a razor I will only use a few times and have it in my collection is not feasible/desirable. I would love to be able to pick up a nice Toggle, I just can not justify the pricing on them recently. If they never go back down in price, I will have to count them along with other razors that are just too expensive for me. I highly desire a Toggle, but I can't justify it at this point. (I have been in love with slants at the moment and I'm concentrating my resources exploring these amazing razors.)
I am hoping they come back down in price. I could see spending $150-$200 sometime for one, but it will be ok if I never own one.
:thumbup1:

After Christmas last year the prices dropped temporarily I was the highest bidder on a mint D1 for $160 but didn't get it because the seller had a reserve on it.

I think that the difference between collectibles and razors is purpose. Very few items that are in the collectible category are used on a daily basis. Shaving is something that is very personal and people are always looking for the best possible shave.

Think what one commercial featuring Rick from Pawn Stars has done. It has generated more talk than we would have ever imagined. If just a small portion of the people try wet-shaving and stay, the numbers have the potential to be significant.

I would say a safe bet on toggles will be around the 400 to 500 mark. A Braun razor is around the 250 mark and we all know the cost of multi-blade systems. Granted a toggle can break, but a vintage razor will last another 50 years with just a little TLC.

I have seen the future. Toggles are cool and always will be cool.
(Sure wish I had cleaned the Egg MacMuffin off my tie)....

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
One just sold last night for almost thousand bucks in the busy Christmas season when everyone is broke and in one of the most depressed economies in USA history.

First off, Alex...I am a CoMgr at Walmart. Please don't make it sound like I am a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. :biggrin1:
I have no doubt that you may be correct about the Toggles pricing. I definitely defer to you in razor knowledge. What I meant by my statement was that for me, over $400 for a razor I will only use a few times and have it in my collection is not feasible/desirable. I would love to be able to pick up a nice Toggle, I just can not justify the pricing on them recently. If they never go back down in price, I will have to count them along with other razors that are just too expensive for me. I highly desire a Toggle, but I can't justify it at this point. (I have been in love with slants at the moment and I'm concentrating my resources exploring these amazing razors.)
I am hoping they come back down in price. I could see spending $150-$200 sometime for one, but it will be ok if I never own one.
:thumbup1:
OH, I thought you was a CEO, my bad:laugh:......what if you see a Slant for 600?

I told my broker to get me some Toggle futures and warrants.

Does anyone remember the "Sticky run up" a few years back.... prices broke into thousand +

Isn't that technically a turnbuckle, jim? I have been wanting to try a toggle for quite some time now, but am holding out for finding one in the wild for next to nothing. (yeah, right) I am not a collector, though. I am a shaver. An ugly one in working order at an affordable price is much more likely to entice me than a beautiful collector's piece. I want to use it.

Alex,

My U-G-L-Y broken Toggle is coming your way in the mail tomorrow for you to work your magic. I warn you, one look at it and you may give up toggles forever. But if you bring it back to life, and after I have it replated....well, the before and after shots may well restore your faith in humanity..... and toggles.

This is the weirdest thread I have read in all of 2013. To say that it is filled with bizarre non-sequiturs would be a big understatement.

Anyway, I replied to this post because I thought it was the funniest of them all (let me Toggle that for you). Congrats, here is your Emmy.

FWIW, I pretty much agree with Inferno. A Toggle is a very cool oddity. I have one that is in very good condition (not mint). At the time I bought it, I paid 100% of retail. It is probably worth slightly more now. I keep it mostly because I need a few really cool high-value items in my collection. I have shaved with it exactly one time.
As for value, Toggles go up and down (just like DRs), but mostly up ...

Top Bottom