What's new

Toggle PIF

Yes, you read it correctly. A gold plated F 4 toggle to be PIFFed as shown in these pics (click on thumbnails for larger pics)

... so what is the catch you say?

Well you win some and you lose some. This time I lost. Paid $144 including postage for a cased Toggle with the adjustment not working. After having great success with penetrating oils I thought I could fix ANY problem. Not this one unfortunately.

Despite my best efforts including soaking for 3 weeks it remains stuck on 3
proxy.php

The plating is in pretty good shape and the opening and closing works REALLY well after the soak. The previous owner obviously tried to fix it without protecting the razor so there are marks on the adjustment ring and handle where pliers or some such device were used to hold it while turning. It was mentioned in the original eBay listing but late at night I missed that
proxy.php
(I did wonder why it was in my watch list without a snipe being set!).

So my loss could be your gain.

Here are the rules of the PIF.

1. You pay postage from Australia to you. I will confirm the amount at the conclusion of the PIF with the winner. If they want to back out that will be fine - we will draw again.
  2. You will use your best efforts to try and fix the adjustment and create a thread for the process with pics. I don't care whether you soak, ultrasonic for weeks or disassemble but you must take before, during and after photos and post in a thread here so we can all watch and learn. Videos would be nice but not required.
  3. If you try don't want to continue to try and fix the Toggle you will create another PIF for another member to have a go knowing what you have done. So, say, you want to try your uber wonderful penetrating oil and it doesn't work and you are not willing to disassemble then PIF it on! The aim is to get this baby fixed or die trying!
  4. If you get it working it is obviously your to keep or do whatever you want with
  5. To play post 'let me at it!' in this thread. I'll keep it open for about a week - I'll set a fixed date closer to the end.
  6. At this stage I think that the winner will be drawn by random.org

Basically I'm sacrificing this razor in the name of 'science' and further learning. I'm selling the case separately for $A45 plus postage if anybody is interested.

[sigh] not one of my best purchases. After a couple of drinks stay off eBay late at night guys!
proxy.php

EDIT: Please bear in mind that the aim is to see this fixed and the body of knowledge grow. Please only enter if you have a plan and the skills necessary to try and save this baby. It might help us all if you post an idea of what you will be trying in your thread.

Last edited:
LET ME AT IT! I would love to give it a go! It may be stubborn, but I would stop at nothing to save such a rare specimen!
My intention is to put it into a crockpot with a mild soap and water solution on a low heat setting. It can sit immersed in there for a few days. If that fails, I plan to take it to a jewlery store my friend works at to dunk in the ultrasonic bath! The crockpot worked with an old slim I found at an antique store. I am happy to spend as much time as needed to restore the razor. I hope who ever wins this beautiful piece is patient with it and understands what a rare piece of shaving history this is, and how important it is to save!

Last edited:
heck yeah.............LET ME AT IT! i'll get the ultrasonic cleaner all warmed up, as well as a few other tricks I have in mind. (pliers......omg, I assure you "No razor will be harmed in the making of this repair")

Last edited:
Let me at it Mark.......if oil did not do it maybe water will!

***EDIT-My process would involve warm soapy baths along with finger only pressure to the dial with a once a day cycle for a minimum of 30-60 days.-EDIT***

Last edited:
Please do NOT count me in. I just wanted to say that this is a great PiF. Kudos to you and congrats to the lucky winner.

WARHAWK

Real Men Wear Pink: Proud supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Let ME at it!

The kids say "You can fix anything!"

Save the case. See if the PIFee wants dibs on it, to keep the set together.

Last edited:
Nevermind...I withdraw so that someone who has real skills can get this back working in the true spirit of this PIF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom