What's new

Toggle Patent filed 1956 granted 1958

Thanks Alex, I can see where soap scum and buildup could lead to a jam of adjustment ring or the 3 parts that need to move together to open the doors. Once stuck, trying to force rather than clean and finesse the parts back into motion would make it worse. Do you think if folks had kept them clean the issues would not have occurred as often if at all?

The mechanism is a little to complex for that type of application. Unless you make an exact copy using the latest stainless steel, the same issues will occur.
But cleaning it better, and more often would do wonders for it.

However some modification to the basic design would be best.
We will see since I'll be using mine every day. I'll report back on any issues but so far I haven't noticed any wear on the mechanism. Thanks for the info!

Thanks Alex, I can see where soap scum and buildup could lead to a jam of adjustment ring or the 3 parts that need to move together to open the doors. Once stuck, trying to force rather than clean and finesse the parts back into motion would make it worse. Do you think if folks had kept them clean the issues would not have occurred as often if at all?
The harder water, harsher soap, creams and crude shave gear ingredients back in those days may not have been ideal to the internal parts of those razors. I think that even if the razors were maintained properly it may still of caused issues to some extent.

The mechanism is a little to complex for that type of application. Unless you make an exact copy using the latest stainless steel, the same issues will occur.
But cleaning it better, and more often would do wonders for it.

However some modification to the basic design would be best.
Not really too complex

full

Last edited by a moderator:
As Far as i know the serial number toggle is the rarest of these awesome razors. Especially a lowest serial number (refer to wiki). The serial number variety is far different than the D-1 or F-4 1-9 dial versions. The nickle version especially complete set is right up there with the 1-5 serial toggle. They are both goregess razors and there packaging is super cool and unique in itself.. The Holy Grail's of Toggles for sure!

according to captain murphy and chris, if a gellette adjustable gets damaged correctly in the tto mechanism, it becomes the super rare variety known as a "push pop" adjustable.

anyone up to do that on purpose?

As Far as i know the serial number toggle is the rarest of these awesome razors. Especially a lowest serial number (refer to wiki). The serial number variety is far different than the D-1 or F-4 1-9 dial versions. The nickle version especially complete set is right up there with the 1-5 serial toggle. They are both goregess razors and there packaging is super cool and unique in itself.. The Holy Grail's of Toggles for sure!

Make sure to realize that there are two different nickel plated toggle models. The 1-5 Dial that Alex has shown above and the 1-9 Dial (more commonly known as the "chrome" toggle) that is shown here.

View attachment 614000

Which one do I want and why?

Well it all depends or your budget or luck. The 1-9 model goes for around $1000 or more on ebay. The 1-5 model is very rare; I only know of two to exist. If you could get someone to part with one I would guess it would fetch something north of $5000! (Full disclosure: I have one and will not part with it, lol. You can see more pictures of it at the link in my signature. Plug, plug. Lol).

I have one question for the experts on the 1-5 serial number Gold Toggle (A-5) stamped plate). If the patent file date is Nov 1 st 1955,how did Gillette release the serial toggle in 1955 with it showing a publication date of Aug 1958, which would be in time for production of the known D-1 Toggle 1-9 dial for Holiday 1958. Is the 1-5 serial toggle a prototype, being it was price tagged? Or did Gillette release the serial toggle before the patent office approved the design? I have not seen a rendering of the changes from the serial toggle to the D-1 design? I of course am not an expert on patents and things maybe were filed well before 1955 in another format to the patent office.

Last edited:
The 5...It's a prototype model.
Since there are quite a few in the line, if you were to list the top 5 in order of most desireable (the 5 position at #1) , what would be your choices?

Hey Glenn that is pretty mean making me salivate all over my keyboard. I am close to banging my head on the monitor glass like a fly trying to get to a donut. I promise not to try to badger and blade you into selling yours :0. Now where do I find the nickel one?

Last edited:
Or did Gillette release the serial toggle before the patent office approved the design?

I think this is probably the case with the 1-5 Serial numbered being retailed in the mid fifties before the Patent was issued and the
1-9 D-1 coming out in 1958.

Since there are quite a few in the line, if you were to list the top 5 in order of most desireable (the 5 position at #1) , what would be your choices?

Hey Glenn that is pretty mean making me salivate all over my keyboard. I am close to banging my head on the monitor glass like a fly trying to get to a donut. I promise not to try to badger and blade you into selling yours :0. Now where do I find the nickel one?
Top 5 adjustable?

Here is my opinion on the Top 5 Gillette Adjustable s. This is based on models that have been proven to be original factory prototypes and also models marketed by Gillette. All of these fetch big bucks for sure! #1 being ultra rare.

#1 Gold Serial # toggle 1-5 setting (Love this razor and it's rifle tight construction, and also cool packaging with the double case/travel in pig skin and your own personnel serial number)

#2 Nickle Toggle 1-9 setting (My favorite for the razor and the packaging)(My opinion the best presentation Gillette ever made)

# 3 Bottom Dial 1-5 setting(prototype) and 1-9 setting (very Limited marketing)

# 4 D -1 Red Dot Fat boy or aka 195 adjustable.(very Limited marketing)

#5 D-1 and F-4 1-9 Gold toggle. (Can be had.. but a complete set in minty is getting harder to put your hands on one of Gillette's truly great razors)

Thanks Alex, Long Beach beat you to the punch. Thanks Long Beach for the rundown. I am happy with my F4 but will continue looking for the #2 nickel Toggle like my Dad had. I could live with the #1 serial 1-5 toggle ;) but the value is getting up there where I may hesitate to use it. And using it is what it is all about for me.

Thanks Alex, Long Beach beat you to the punch. Thanks Long Beach for the rundown. I am happy with my F4 but will continue looking for the #2 nickel Toggle like my Dad had. I could live with the #1 serial 1-5 toggle ;) but the value is getting up there where I may hesitate to use it. And using it is what it is all about for me.
:thumbup:

Top Bottom