What's new

Toggle Parade

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Very nice! I expected it to be about like a Fatboy only a more awkward handle, but I was wrong. The head design is totally different than the Fatty supports the blade farther out, no slightly warped blade. Which I never really thought was an issue, but this does seem smoother and maybe even a little more efficient than the Fatty on the same setting. Also felt much better in hand than expected, it's a keeper for sure!
I think one big difference is in the way it adjusts. If I remember right, it doesnt change the curvature of the blade like the others do. Someone explained it to me, but I have 3 kids. I forget A LOT!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

32A07AB6-B2AA-4862-8D15-7A49B6B91EA5.jpeg
ADF4D8C6-2383-4831-AF28-A327B034C364.jpeg
681C8978-314A-48D1-9CC6-9FBBE47C2BBE.jpeg
I got my D1 Toggle yesterday and tried it for the first time this afternoon. It was spectacular. I have a Fatboy and Slim, and for some reason I just assumed it would shave like those two, but I was wrong. It was extremely smooth and efficient. I started on the 5 setting, (I use a 7 on both Fatboy and Slim), and at first I thought it was so mild that it wasn’t cutting anything. On closer inspection in the mirror, it had taken off all the hair, but it was so smooth that I barely felt anything. It’s a keeper! And thanks to our member Hannah’s Dad for parting with this beauty! I really appreciate it. I do have one question though...when storing the Toggle, do you leave it with the Toggle open or in the closed position? Is there any stress on the spring in the toggle mechanism that warrants it being left open? ‍♂️

View attachment 991333 View attachment 991334 View attachment 991335 I got my D1 Toggle yesterday and tried it for the first time this afternoon. It was spectacular. I have a Fatboy and Slim, and for some reason I just assumed it would shave like those two, but I was wrong. It was extremely smooth and efficient. I started on the 5 setting, (I use a 7 on both Fatboy and Slim), and at first I thought it was so mild that it wasn’t cutting anything. On closer inspection in the mirror, it had taken off all the hair, but it was so smooth that I barely felt anything. It’s a keeper! And thanks to our member Hannah’s Dad for parting with this beauty! I really appreciate it. I do have one question though...when storing the Toggle, do you leave it with the Toggle open or in the closed position? Is there any stress on the spring in the toggle mechanism that warrants it being left open? ‍♂️
Congratulations on getting your Toggle. Hannah's Dad doesn't sell anything but the best. Good win win for both of you. :a14::a14:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Very nice! I store my Toggle closed with no blade in .
I too purchased my Toggle from Dan and it's a
Favorite of mine for sure. He really takes care of the Razors that He has and a super nice guy too! Enjoy your shaves.

View attachment 991333 View attachment 991334 View attachment 991335 I got my D1 Toggle yesterday and tried it for the first time this afternoon. It was spectacular. I have a Fatboy and Slim, and for some reason I just assumed it would shave like those two, but I was wrong. It was extremely smooth and efficient. I started on the 5 setting, (I use a 7 on both Fatboy and Slim), and at first I thought it was so mild that it wasn’t cutting anything. On closer inspection in the mirror, it had taken off all the hair, but it was so smooth that I barely felt anything. It’s a keeper! And thanks to our member Hannah’s Dad for parting with this beauty! I really appreciate it. I do have one question though...when storing the Toggle, do you leave it with the Toggle open or in the closed position? Is there any stress on the spring in the toggle mechanism that warrants it being left open? ‍♂️
Congrats!! I love mine more than any other razor in my collection. It is the only one to have a permanent position next to the sink and gets used more than any other. Second place is my Schick C3 Repeater and 3rd is the Rocket HD500.

About closed vs. open: I leave mine closed. Not sure about spring tension but I assume opened compresses it and closed releases most of the tension. Could be wrong though.

I don't believe open or closed matters if storing dry, clean Toggle. When using that razor, keep the head down if you rinse it under a running stream. The goal is to limit as much water down the barrel as possible. You can't eliminate it entirely, but you can limit it.

When I use a Toggle, it always gets blow dry with a can of computer duster. Then, with the doors open, flip it over on a microfiber towel, stand it on it's doors so any water in the barrel can drain out.

Cleaning with a Toothbrush is where you will want to flip it right side up to rinse the tray out. Please don't. If you do, shake it gently, blow dry and stand to dry.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've been a subscriber to this thread for a while, and did use the Toggle recently. But honestly it feels like the Fatboy to me, I should love it, spent lots of time running down the case etc, but while it is a great item on a shelf, as a shaver, again to me face, I see why it went the way of the dodo

Congrats!! I love mine more than any other razor in my collection. It is the only one to have a permanent position and gets used more than any other.
Same, and I've tried a lot of razors over the past 10 years. I know it has it's flaws but wish Gillette hadn't abandoned it after only a couple years.

One tip I was told by Cap is when you flip the Toggle to open the razor slightly pull down just a little bit before flipping it as it will help to reduce the marks that will occur from flipping the Toggle over and over and so far the one I had plated in Rhodium shows no scratches whatsoever. I find the Toggle slightly more efficient than either the Fatboy and the Slim and definitely smoother when all are set on 9 setting and have done a few side by side Shave Offs with all 3 just to confirm my initial thoughts.

Enjoy your Toggles Gentlemen!

So that is the elusive 1960 gold "Chrome" Toggle without the toothy grin. How exciting!

It is gold but I have no way to authenticate it for factory plating. Mr. Conti believes it is a replate because the spring indicator is gold. Razor Emporium seems to think it is original based on photos. No one wants to take one apart anymore, it seems.

No worries tho, it is still pretty special even if replated. It joins another Chrome Toggle in my den that was preserved by CAP and Razorplate in 2017. I will enjoy them for a while.

20211230_084457.jpg
20211229_165509.jpg
20211229_165448.jpg
20211229_165424.jpg

Mine is a D-1 that was not working when I got it here on BST some years ago. The adjustment was firmly stuck. After much soaking in hot water it loosened up and has delivered wonder shaves ever since. Some drops of mineral oil keep the adjustment knob loose. The aspect I like the most is the worn off gold wash that only comes from years of use. Only one number has any black ink left. It feels like a comfortable pair of shoes when I pick it up.

IMG_6106.jpeg

Top Bottom