What's new

Toe lines on Leather

Despite taking care during passes I'm getting mark lines from the blade toe. They are not cuts but they are visyally annoying. The razor is a 6/8 full hollow with a round toe. I use the finger twist method to reverse direction.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Beemer, a leather strop is flexible, no matter the type of leather, its thickness or how tight you hold it. The toe going over the leather will slightly mark it as the leather curves up at the toe.

If your toe marks are more than just slight, you are probably; not holding the strop tight enought, not stropping light enough, not holding the blade flat, or some/all of these.

I get slight marks from the blade toe but I also have a relatively soft thin leather strop. That is how I like it.

Concentrate on keeping the center of the razor flat on the strop, this way, neither end will get significant pressure.
Sounds like you are not keeping it flat.
VERY LITTLE pressure is needed for stropping.

Thanks to you both. I'll take up on your advice. The strop cost £100 so I need to look after it!

It sounds like you are lifting the heal. Try practising with the strop lying on a flat surface.

Also - what height are you holding the end of the strop? That could be affecting your technique.

Despite taking care during passes I'm getting mark lines from the blade toe. They are not cuts but they are visyally annoying. The razor is a 6/8 full hollow with a round toe. I use the finger twist method to reverse direction.

If by "finger twist method" you mean spinning the shank with your fingers during the flip, I cannot recommend it as it leads to mysterious nicks from my experience. I prefer to grip the shank continuously with my thumb and forefinger with a partial turn of the wrist during the flip. No mysterious nicks using the latter method.

Without seeing the strop, it's hard to know what the toe or mark lines are. It could be as slight as leaving soap traces at the end of the pass. Can you rub them out with your thumb or are they permanent?

It night be as simple as a little nick or burr that's too small to see. I was fixing one the other day that had a bad toe. I thought I had it licked but when I went to strop it was obvious I hadn't quite got it. You can also see where I almost cut this strop one time. That was a scary moment. I love vintage shell. Anyway, check your bevel really close. Might have a nick or burr.

IMG_20191222_201825.jpg

Top Bottom