What's new

Today’s shave

Tonight I think I’ve finally had a shave with a razor and blade combination that I can honestly say that I didn’t care much for. I used my Muhle R41 on Razorock barber pole handle with a Kai blade. For me not a very nice combination. Rough and tuggy. First time in quite a while that I can remember that feeling. I’d rather use that razor with any other blade to be honest. Maybe for me it’s just not a good combination. I can try it again at some point in a different razor. But at the current moment probably not in a hurry to try them again though.

To a large degree the Muhle R41 seems to be a "love or hate" razor with many shavers. I know it only by reputation. I've never used one.
Usually it’s not so bad for me. But for whatever reason I just couldn’t like it with that Kai. Which I probably won’t use anymore with that at the very least.

The KAI blades are very slightly wider than average. It can make them feel different, for better or worse, depending on the razor.

The R41 works well for me with blades such as 7 O'clock Yellow or similar.

The KAI blades are very slightly wider than average. It can make them feel different, for better or worse, depending on the razor.

The R41 works well for me with blades such as 7 O'clock Yellow or similar.
Yeah I remember reading about them being a little wider than other blades. And definitely was a no go with that one. Way to tuggy and uncomfortable. But I ordered a tuck of the 7 o’clock yellows. I’ll have to try those with it again. It has been a while since I’ve tried it.

Some razor / blade combinations just don't work. You might try another blade and see how it goes.
Yeah I think it was just a bad combination for me. Which is why it kind of just threw me off. I’m not used to shaves being that rough. Usually a lot of other blades I can use with it don’t bother me as much.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Was it the blade and razor head or did the classiness of the RazoRock barber pole handle throw off the esthetic forcing you to shave at bad angles to pay for making the R41 too ‘extra?’

Was it the blade and razor head or did the classiness of the RazoRock barber pole handle throw off the esthetic forcing you to shave at bad angles to pay for making the R41 too ‘extra?’

"You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off of you.

You feel like heaven to touch, I wanna hold you so much."

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
When I use a Yaqi Mellon and squint until it looks like a Timless scalloped cap, trouble ensues. I’m just not worthy, man

Oh it was the blade and head combo. I’ve tried quite a few other blades with it that have shaved a lot better, and much more comfortably. But for some reason with a Kai it just tugged really bad and was really uncomfortable. A very unpleasant combo. Which is why I surprised because I usually don’t that bad of luck while shaving. So I’m just going with that combo is going to be a no go in the future. I got plenty of other razors to try them with in the future though.

Combos are real. Very real.
Oh yes. That’s probably the first time I’ve ever had a blade and razor combo that just tugged and was totally uncomfortable. But being me I was stubborn and figured I’d finish the whole shave with it. Hopefully Kai’s will work better in the other razors I have. That’ll be the next experiment down the line.

+1! Some razors work with most blades. Some razors work well with certain blades.

And some razors just don’t work for me anyway! :facep::facep::facep:
Very true. I’m still trying to get used to the Karve G OC and especially the Ikon Tech. Then again those two I don’t use as often. I’ve got more shaves with the Ikon Tech. I love the efficiency. But it’s quite the beast to get used to since it’s so much more blade forward than any razor I have. And I think with the Karve I just don’t think I’ve quite got the angle just right on it.

Top Bottom