What's new

Todays honing has me wishing my hair grew faster

It was finally time to hone the "Russian Bear". The edge it came with wasn't bad and has served me well at 3 shaves a week since the end of August. Today, I would put my edge on it. Honing razors is a more recent endeavor for me but after getting a few GD razors shaving like pros, I felt ready to go after something a bit nicer.

I started off getting my stones ready. It was a lengthy task since I've been using them to get all my hand planes and chisels ready for some work, and I have a lot of planes and chisels. Almost 2 hours getting stones ready for some razor honing. I really need to get a dedicated set.

Once they were good to go, I started to the work of setting the bevel. I worked one side until I could feel a burr all the way across. This took 250 passes with moderate pressure. Then I did the same number of passes on the other side. Then 50 laps alternating sides with light pressure. Cleaned it up, 5 laps on a canvass strop, 5 on leather, and gave it a test on my arm. It was shaving hairs nicely. I wouldn't want it anywhere near my face yet but on my arm, it was doing what I wanted. On to the 3000 stone. This time 50 laps and then cleaned up, 5 laps on the cotton strop, 5 on canvas, test. I was happy with the results. 8000 stone, followed the same process as the 3000. Test wasn't quite where I wanted it yet so I did another 25 laps and tried again. There it is! Final stone, 12000. 50 laps again and then some short X strokes using some super light pressure. Cleaned it up, stropped as above, and test. At this point I could shave and be quite happy with it. But I want to be school girl giddy over this thing.

Final step is the diamond pasted balsa strops. 0.5, 0.25, and 0.1 microns. Using feather light pressure I stropped 20 laps, 15 laps, then 10 laps. Tree topping like Paul Bunyan, and barely making a sound while doing it. Clean shave with the spine touching my skin. Anyone have a rapid hair growth tonic? I don't want to wait till tomorrow for my next shave!

1667864010380.png

I should add, that the very last bit of the toe and heel aren't great but I'm not too concerned with those areas as I don't really use them when shaving. The extra work of getting those spots dialed in as keen as the rest of it just doesn't seem worth it for areas that don't contact my face.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Feels good, doesn't it - but not the wait.

Dedicated gear just for SRs is well worth it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think you should work on refining those litt bits at the toe and heel. Once they are shaving like the rest of the edge, you will be surprised at how handy those area are when face shaving.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Whisker Growth Accelerator
  • Take fresh goat's manure and mix into a paste with chilled seawater.
  • Apply manure paste to as a face mask in the evening and leave on overnight.
  • Rinse your face of manure paste before your regular morning shave.
  • After your morning shave, apply fermented salami paste as a balm and rub well in. Do not wash the salami paste off until the evening.
Repeat the above for at least 30 days. By then you should notice a difference in your whisker growth and who are your true friends.

Those who have tried this method have never complained of the result.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
It was finally time to hone the "Russian Bear". The edge it came with wasn't bad and has served me well at 3 shaves a week since the end of August. Today, I would put my edge on it. Honing razors is a more recent endeavor for me but after getting a few GD razors shaving like pros, I felt ready to go after something a bit nicer.

I started off getting my stones ready. It was a lengthy task since I've been using them to get all my hand planes and chisels ready for some work, and I have a lot of planes and chisels. Almost 2 hours getting stones ready for some razor honing. I really need to get a dedicated set.

Once they were good to go, I started to the work of setting the bevel. I worked one side until I could feel a burr all the way across. This took 250 passes with moderate pressure. Then I did the same number of passes on the other side. Then 50 laps alternating sides with light pressure. Cleaned it up, 5 laps on a canvass strop, 5 on leather, and gave it a test on my arm. It was shaving hairs nicely. I wouldn't want it anywhere near my face yet but on my arm, it was doing what I wanted. On to the 3000 stone. This time 50 laps and then cleaned up, 5 laps on the cotton strop, 5 on canvas, test. I was happy with the results. 8000 stone, followed the same process as the 3000. Test wasn't quite where I wanted it yet so I did another 25 laps and tried again. There it is! Final stone, 12000. 50 laps again and then some short X strokes using some super light pressure. Cleaned it up, stropped as above, and test. At this point I could shave and be quite happy with it. But I want to be school girl giddy over this thing.

Final step is the diamond pasted balsa strops. 0.5, 0.25, and 0.1 microns. Using feather light pressure I stropped 20 laps, 15 laps, then 10 laps. Tree topping like Paul Bunyan, and barely making a sound while doing it. Clean shave with the spine touching my skin. Anyone have a rapid hair growth tonic? I don't want to wait till tomorrow for my next shave!

View attachment 1553279
You could try going out at night and howling at the moon. Maybe that will speed up hair growth ;)

Whisker Growth Accelerator
  • Take fresh goat's manure and mix into a paste with chilled seawater.
  • Apply manure paste to as a face mask in the evening and leave on overnight.
  • Rinse your face of manure paste before your regular morning shave.
  • After your morning shave, apply fermented salami paste as a balm and rub well in. Do not wash the salami paste off until the evening.
Repeat the above for at least 30 days. By then you should notice a difference in your whisker growth and who are your true friends.

Those who have tried this method have never complained of the result.
Needs cayenne pepper friend.

Top Bottom