What's new

Today's Experience with the Schick Injector Type O

Several years ago, I bought a Schick Injector Type O clone (from ebarbership?). It's an excellent razor. It reminds me of an "improved Type L." However, I've used it surprisingly little, as I have a tough beard and the Type O is a bit mild. The last time I used it was maybe a year ago, but loaded with a NOS Schick Twin blade the Schick Type O gave an outstanding close and comfortable shave. The tough whiskers just melted away.

I went to use the Type O this morning, and to my dismay when I inserted the key the head would not raise, and the key would only go in halfway. Apparently the head had frozen up from non-use, with maybe a little help from deposits from my hard water. I inserted a small flat-head screwdriver, and with a little wiggling the head became free, and then I was able easily insert the key and I loaded a Chinese Schick blade. The 4-pass shave was fairly close and remarkably comfortable. I like the Schick Type O Injector razor very much.

I notice there is a You Tube video showing a guy who cuts a DE blade in half, lengthwise, opens the injector head, inserts one prong of a pair of tweezers to hold the head open and then with a little finagling manually inserts the two halves carefully sandwiched and positioned. He now has an injector razor loaded with a homemade twin injector blade. A twin blade is the best (though expensive, if you can find 'em) blade for these later mild Schick injector razors. The guy made the process look astonishingly easy, and I intend to try it the next time I load a blade.

Are any of you familiar with such a homemade injector twin blade? Have you done it? And what do you think? It certainly beats the high cost of the hard-to-find NOS twin injector blades. If it works well for me, this will be the most exciting thing I've learned about shaving in a VERY long time!

Last edited:
The closest I have come to that is when I cut a Shark blade down to size and loaded it with an empty injector body for Shark Week. Personally, I would be afraid of damaging my razor if using pliers. Maybe you could cut both halves to proper size and glue them together before injecting into the razor.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Huh, I have an O but like most of the later Schicks it doesn't get much traction here .. and the twin blades always got clogged with me beard so those that were collected live in one of the dead drawers .. So Steve, sorry I am lazy but it sounds like way too much trouble, and twin half-azzed DEs will of necessity lack the blade rigidity that makes the Schick Injector shine for me .. easier to just shave with the Fatboy if the DE edge is what makes your socks go up & down that day

Huh, I have an O but like most of the later Schicks it doesn't get much traction here .. and the twin blades always got clogged with me beard so those that were collected live in one of the dead drawers .. So Steve, sorry I am lazy but it sounds like way too much trouble, and twin half-azzed DEs will of necessity lack the blade rigidity that makes the Schick Injector shine for me .. easier to just shave with the Fatboy if the DE edge is what makes your socks go up & down that day
I understand, and I don't necessarily disagree. Happy shaves!

Top Bottom