What's new

Today’s Best Patchouli?

The entire Mugler A*Men line has a prominent patchouli note. Most of them are better suited for colder weather, but Kryptomint and Ultra Zest should work well for the summer.
My favorite patchouli fragrances

1. Mugler Pure Malt
2. Mugler Ultra Zest
3. Mugler Pure Havana
4. Mugler Kryptomint
5. Mugler Pure Tonka
6. Mugler Pure Chili

I wore patchouli for almost 27 years..I always used a lil dab of the EO.

Aura Cacia was the best IMHO. (besides the stuff I got in the Middle East..WOW..that was some dank stuff!!!)
proxy.php

Lil dab will do ya for hours.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just checked this out. $20 for 4.2 oz on Amazon—is this possible? What say you about Givenchy Gentleman?

P.S. By modern, I mean post-1974...
Givenchy Gentleman has been my go to favorite since 1973. Very sophisticated with that patchouli “je ne sais pas quoi”. I recently got a new bottle from Amazon and it was the same scent as a bottle I’ve had for several years. A little bit goes a long way!

I’m a little late to the party with this thread, but I have to list the most complimented fragrance I own, Montale Patchouli Leaves (even more than other ones I have that are often complimented, including Creed Aventus, Creed Royal Mayfair, Bleu de Chanel Parfum, Dior Homme Intense, Parfums de Marley Layton, Amouage Reflection Man and Jubilation XXV). It is a beautiful, almost gourmand patchouli, with incredible projection and sillage. A couple sprays will last at least twelve hours, making it a good value as well. I’d recommend getting a sample if you can.

Several years ago (probably in 2011), I was looking for an incense fragrance, and picked up a bunch of different samples. Somewhere in the archives, there is a long thread where I tried and reviewed 8-10 different ones. The process of wearing them and committing my thoughts to paper really helped how I looked at fragrances in general. I’d recommend the process, and I’d love to read someone breaking down a host of patchouli scents.

Montale does not get as much attention in general, at least around here, as it used to. Really interesting house. I do not recall what Patchouli Leaves smells like, though. I do slightly remember it having some gourmand aspects.

Monsieur by Bruno Jovanovic for Frederic Malle is simply the best patchouli, period.
it was Frederic's idea to create a male counterpart to Portrait of a Lady.

Javanese Patchouli by Zegna gets my vote for a straight-up patchouli.

If looking for a significant patch component, seek out either of my two favorites (both powerhouses, the former modern, the latter 80s)...
Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle (don’t let the name fool you, this Jammy rose/patch/ambroxan can be worn easily by either gender) and vintage Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills.

If looking for a significant patch component, seek out either of my two favorites (both powerhouses, the former modern, the latter 80s)...
Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle (don’t let the name fool you, this Jammy rose/patch/ambroxan can be worn easily by either gender) and vintage Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills.

I was inspired to get Givenchy Gentleman by some of the posters on this thread. I enjoy it, but my Giorgio for Men is a better frag, to my nose. Love the stuff. I'll have to check out Portrait of a Lady. I don't pay attention to gender when I analyze fragrances--Piguet Bandit and Juliette Has a Gun Midnight Oud, both "women's" fragrances, are two of my favorites.

I agree. Zegna's Essenze Javanese Patchouli doesn't in my opinion get enough praise but I do wonder whether that's due to it maybe not being as available as other fragrances. It is worth seeking out though. The first time I wore it to work a colleague immediately asked, "who is wearing Patchouli oil?" I put my hand up and she was positively raving about it, saying how it was bringing back memories of going to festivals etc. The next question was, "have you got the bottle with you and can I spray some?" :001_cool:
I love wearing it in the spring and early summer. It's something of a go-to fragrance during those months. I might have to dig out the bottle this week though.

Top Bottom