What's new

Today’s Best Patchouli?

I wanted to revive an old thread focused on patchouli, but they’re all really, really old... So, having grown up in the ‘60s and early ‘70s in Boulder, I developed a discerning nose for patchouli, as the various forms of incense in every retail establishment created a huge patchouli cloud over my hometown. Since then, I’ve learned that I actually have developed quite a fondness for patchouli—either because today’s scents are refined from the dirty hippie days, or my sniffer has changed.

Either way, I find myself gravitating to all forms of patchouli, from the bomb that is Giorgio Beverly Hills, to the subtlety of Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli, to the pleasantness of Tom Ford’s Purple Patchouli. In the modern era, what do all y’all recommend? My Purple Patchouli won’t last much longer, and I need another...

Last edited:
Interesting! I have both Zino Davidoff and Givenchy Gentleman. Knew that Gentleman was patchouli, but had no idea that is what Zino was suppose to be. Looked them both up in Fragantica. Yup; both patchouli. But Givenchy has more in the middle notes and Zino in the base. I have also looked at Zino as being Spanish leather; spicy, floral and aromatic. To me Gentleman is almost a deep incense.

I use to wear Zino in the mid 1990's.......numerous compliments!!!

Haven't worn it in years......hope they haven't reformulated it(to much).

Patchouli patch by l’Artisan is good. Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is also a classic, the new stuff is no good IMO.

Beware, most of the mainstream scents (Givenchy Gentleman) has been reformulated beyond recognition.

I would suggest you to sample these (in no particular order)-

Mazzolari Patchouli
Jovoy Psychedelique
Von Eusersdorff Classic Patchouli
Profumum Patchouly
Reminiscence Patchouli
Santa Maria Novella Patchouly

Nicolai Patchouli Intense
Mazzolari Lui
Parfumerie Generale Coze
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme / Extreme

I made two groups because the first group IMO is more 'straightforward/hardcore' patchouli, whereas the second group is more of 'patchouli and more', in the sense that they have other notes (I would place vintage Givenchy Gentleman in the latter category because of the wonderful civet and honeyed leather notes to complement the patchouli).

I love patchouli. I also love Zino, but get no patchouli out of it. I had a tiny sample of Santa Maria Novella Patchouli andliked it a lot. I have not purchased a bigger bottle yet. I love vintage Giorgio BH. My fav patchouli.

The entire Mugler A*Men line has a prominent patchouli note. Most of them are better suited for colder weather, but Kryptomint and Ultra Zest should work well for the summer.

The original Givenchy Gentleman is probably my favorite, although it is not exactly modern. I love Chanel's Coromandel, although some say it leans feminine. I disagree, and I wear it a lot. Another suggestion is Dior's Patchouli Imperial from their Collection Privee line. Great stuff, but on the pricy side.

Reformed G Gentleman still exudes it - when I wore it to work, a female coworker sniffed heartily and said, "Mmmmmm....patchouli!"

I do not remember what it is like, and the reviews seem mixed, but I suspect Lorenzo Villoresi Patchouli is a nice straightforward patchouli.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Salvador Dali pour Homme is a wonderful patch-bomb.

Plus, you get the benefit of its "evil" vibe, a two-fer!

AA

Salvador Dali pour Homme is a wonderful patch-bomb.

Plus, you get the benefit of its "evil" vibe, a two-fer!

AA

Haha, that IS an evil potion, for sure. Sometimes when I wear it (usually fall only), I could swear people look at me differently / avoid me....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Haha, that IS an evil potion, for sure. Sometimes when I wear it (usually fall only), I could swear people look at me differently / avoid me....

It's the best. Of the 70*+ (ugh) colognes I've got, Dali PH is a certain re-buy ... would take it to the grave. MUAHAHAHA!

AA

*checked my basenotes wardrobe. not proud of this.

Now I've got a long list of new patchouli scents to try. Thank you, all y'all.

The first will be Givenchy Gentleman, 1990's vintage according to the eBay seller. (We'll see, eh?) The price was right, and seems like as good a starting point as any.

Top Bottom