What's new

Today in History

We might not know what his shave was that day, but we know he did have a boatload of coffee before heading to the launch-pad!
I think I'll hunker down tonight and watch (for the thousandth time) The Right Stuff.

We might not know what his shave was that day, but we know he did have a boatload of coffee before heading to the launch-pad!
I think I'll hunker down tonight and watch (for the thousandth time) The Right Stuff.

Actually... no, he didn't. The official notes from the Dr that monitored all the astronauts for that launch specifically noted that none were allowed any coffee for 24 hours leading up to and including right before the launch. Poor guys had to do that on coffee withdrawal. :lol:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
no coffee? well I'm out.

Congratulations you've been selected to be the first man in space Jason, there are just a few stipulations. #1 No coffee 24 hours before launch, #2...
Wait, wait, wait....no coffee for 24 hours?....I'm out!

Actually... no, he didn't. The official notes from the Dr that monitored all the astronauts for that launch specifically noted that none were allowed any coffee for 24 hours leading up to and including right before the launch. Poor guys had to do that on coffee withdrawal. :lol:

So, Tom Wolfe (author of The Right Stuff) and Phil Kauffman (director of the movie version) lied to me? Those filthy swine! Shepard at least did whizz in his suit while waiting on the pad, right? At least let us have that hilarious image...and "Shepard's Prayer".
Seriously, though, Shepard's launch was a great moment in history. Gagarin may have been the "first" (two days before I was born), but how many Cosmonauts can say they golfed on the moon?

So, Tom Wolfe (author of The Right Stuff) and Phil Kauffman (director of the movie version) lied to me? Those filthy swine! Shepard at least did whizz in his suit while waiting on the pad, right? At least let us have that hilarious image...and "Shepard's Prayer".
Seriously, though, Shepard's launch was a great moment in history. Gagarin may have been the "first" (two days before I was born), but how many Cosmonauts can say they golfed on the moon?

No idea on the other stuff, but the coffee bit isn't accurate, according to the Dr monitoring the whole flight crew...

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/08/13-little-things-nasa-did-to-get-alan-shepard-ready-for-space/278500/

Top Bottom