What's new

TOBS VS TRUMPERS

I Have a few of TOBS and a few Trumpers creams. GFT and Eucris by Trumpers, and Sandalwood and Tobacco by TOBS.

I’ve been intertwining both on various shaves, and can definitely say, for me anyway, Trumpers comes up trumps in skin feel, slickness and lather over TOBS creams.

Both are loaded onto the brush and face lathered, same razor and brush (Mühle) and Trumpers has the edge. Slippery, more slick and just gives a better, smoother shave.

First time I’ve tried TOBS, and was expecting great things….. although it’s lovely and does the job…… I was a bit dissatisfied by the hype. The smell of Tobs Tobacco is fabulous, second to Eucris…which is amazing.

YMMV of course.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Shavingeveryday!

Indeed, YMMV!
In my experience, both GFT and TOBS sell excellent creams!
For me, the current versions of TOBS might be ever so slightly ahead of GFT.
But never I've never had any issue with either!

gft tobs creams.jpg

I use both as well and T&H. They all work very well for me. Can't tell much difference between them and choose, primarily, on scent.

TOBS is lower price and doesn't use dyes, so that's another benefit over some of the Trumper options.

Trumpers is made by Creightons, who also makes Truefitt and Hill and St. James of London. Those are all great performing creams with various scents.

I've used Grapefruit, Avocado, and Mr. Taylor from TOBS. And Sandalwood, Rose, and Limes from Trumper. All are great choices. It comes down to scent preference in many cases as performance is very similar.

TOBS is lower price and doesn't use dyes, so that's another benefit over some of the Trumper options.

Trumpers is made by Creightons, who also makes Truefitt and Hill and St. James of London. Those are all great performing creams with various scents.

I've used Grapefruit, Avocado, and Mr. Taylor from TOBS. And Sandalwood, Rose, and Limes from Trumper. All are great choices. It comes down to scent preference in many cases as performance is very similar.

I would like to add that I feel there are subtle differences in performance among the TOBS creams as well. Mr. Taylor’s feels a little more luxurious than Sandalwood, Eton College, Grapefruit, St. James, Cedarwood, and Jermyn Street for me.

I would like to add that I feel there are subtle differences in performance among the TOBS creams as well. Mr. Taylor’s feels a little more luxurious than Sandalwood, Eton College, Grapefruit, St. James, Cedarwood, and Jermyn Street for me.

I liked Avocado and it felt a bit more luxurious because of the avocado oil. They still sell it in the travel size tubes. I didn't notice any differences with the others so I figured they had the same formulation.

I have to say, that's been my experience as well. All three of these brands perform about as well as each other. T&H is most $ but not really better than TOBS or GFT. I happen to be a T&H fanboy (scents, marketing, sucker) but have creams from all three brands. T&H has dropped rose and almond and, possibly, others so when I run out of those two, I'll have to shop around. I have a spare tub of each.

I've had both the grapefruit and avocado TOBS and didn't much care for either although the grapefruit smelled great and it's about my favorite fruit. It aged out (like the avocado) and both ended up getting tossed. But their Sandalwood? Probably my favorite scent of all of them.

I have to say, that's been my experience as well. All three of these brands perform about as well as each other. T&H is most $ but not really better than TOBS or GFT. I happen to be a T&H fanboy (scents, marketing, sucker) but have creams from all three brands. T&H has dropped rose and almond and, possibly, others so when I run out of those two, I'll have to shop around. I have a spare tub of each.

I've had both the grapefruit and avocado TOBS and didn't much care for either although the grapefruit smelled great and it's about my favorite fruit. It aged out (like the avocado) and both ended up getting tossed. But their Sandalwood? Probably my favorite scent of all of them.
Trumper rose is good. Cyril Salter also has an excellent rose.

I liked Trumper sandalwood so much I got it twice. TOBS sandalwood is popular so I might try that next.

If you like the grapefruit scent, you can check out the aftershaves from artisans like Stirling. They do it well with a strong natural scent. But they don't make creams. I got an excellent rose aftershave from them before.

Tried "Spanish Leather" today. Very nice old school fragrance, similar to Hermes Bel Ami (imho). Glad, that I bought a tube, even despite the presence of "old school" preservatives (parabens) in the ingredients list :)
IMG_1261.jpg

I Have a few of TOBS and a few Trumpers creams. GFT and Eucris by Trumpers, and Sandalwood and Tobacco by TOBS.

I’ve been intertwining both on various shaves, and can definitely say, for me anyway, Trumpers comes up trumps in skin feel, slickness and lather over TOBS creams.

Both are loaded onto the brush and face lathered, same razor and brush (Mühle) and Trumpers has the edge. Slippery, more slick and just gives a better, smoother shave.

First time I’ve tried TOBS, and was expecting great things….. although it’s lovely and does the job…… I was a bit dissatisfied by the hype. The smell of Tobs Tobacco is fabulous, second to Eucris…which is amazing.

YMMV of course.
I’ve been using the 3 Ts now going on 15 years. 7 years ago I would have said Taylor but now I think Trumper is the better of the three and cost on Amazon is about $18 across the board. I still use Taylor’s Mr Taylor, Eaton college, Truefitt and Hill has priced themselves out of the market at $34 a tub for me. I’m not replacing any as I run out. I hate that because I really like their 1805 and West Indian Lime creams. At one time I had about 35 different creams. I gave them away and I’m down to Taylor and Trumper and what I have left of Truefitt. I actually have to many of those. This forum is a hell of an enabler of anything. Great bunch of guys though who will help you out in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom