What's new

TOBS Soap quandary

I have purchased a TOBS Sandal wood puck in a nice wooden bowl. I used it a few times without issue but recently have been finding it difficult to lather with anything but my Maggard synthetic brush. Even when I use that, it only works if it basically dry. I have a Semogue boar brush and a Parker best badger that I use and like with all other soaps. If I use either of them with the TOBS, I have lather failure. It seems to be the case that I am using too much water. I lather in a Crown King scuttle and soak the brush while I get ready. I shake and squeeze the brush and generally can get a defensible lather to get started but it collapses if my face is too wet and the second pass lather is useless. Going too dry with the brush or the rinse leaves me with a dry, scratchy pass. Today I gave up and lathered a bowl of Proraso. Does anyone in this esteemed company have advice?

I have recently had the same problem with TOBS Sandalwood, see below what I wrote in another section:

"My TOBS Sandalwood soap puck went from a fine lathering soap to a dud. Absolutely loved the soap when new, but now I can't get a decent lather for the last several shaves.

At first I would bloom the puck while I was in the shower, later found that this wasn't necessary. As long as I had a damp brush (boar or badger), I could get a good basic lather from a dry puck, adding water as needed as I face lathered. This worked well for months, but not anymore. So I went back to blooming the puck (no joy). Dry puck with wetter brush (no joy). Dry puck with damp brush (no joy). And every other ritual I could think of and still no joy.

This mornings shave, one last try, bloomed the puck, barely damp badger, loaded the brush, started a face lather and immediately knew that it wasn't too be. Washed my face, loaded up some Catie's Bubbles and had a very pleasant shave.

I give, I feel betrayed by a soap I enjoyed so much for so long."

One thing I didn't mention above is that the soap has also seemed to lose all slickness and cushion. After a pass and rinse, my face feels squeaky clean, no residual slickness. This also is a recent occurrence. Something has happened mid-puck and totally changed the performance of this soap.

So bizarre! Never had such an issue with any soap or cream. You might have a bad puck. Toss it and replace. Fortunately, it’s not very expensive.

I personally always found their soap demonstrably inferior to their cream, which is so reliable.

If their creams perform as well as the soap did initially, I may give one of them a try. Any suggestions on which "flavor" to try?

If their creams perform as well as the soap did initially, I may give one of them a try. Any suggestions on which "flavor" to try?

Their sandalwood has a cult following. I personally can’t use it—it’s one of a couple of products that irritates my skin. I’ve always liked Jermyn St. and St. James. Both have light cologne smells. I’ve also heard good things about Eton College, but I’ve never tried it myself. I think Maggard might offer samples...

I have only tried the TOBS shaving creams. They are very good, but I do not rate them as highly as T&H or Trumper, which are both excellent. Once I use up my current tubs of TOBS, I am undecided on replacing them. However, I really like the TOBS sandalwood scent.

Everything I have read about TOBS soaps indicates that they are inferior to the creams, so I have not been tempted to buy them. On the other hand D. R. Harris soaps are reported to be better than their creams, so I own a bowl of DRH Windsor soap, but no DRH creams.

Although the DRH soap is good, some of the artisan soaps are superior. My current favorites are Barrister and Mann Reserve, Captain's Choice, and WSP Formula T, but there are others I want to try. I just do not have any more space in my shaving cabinet.

Roccomon described my experience almost exactly. It is frustrating but maybe the puck sat too long. I will not be in the TOBS Fan club anytime soon and I have two WSP soaps coming soon. Learning experience anyway.

Their sandalwood has a cult following. I personally can’t use it—it’s one of a couple of products that irritates my skin. I’ve always liked Jermyn St. and St. James. Both have light cologne smells. I’ve also heard good things about Eton College, but I’ve never tried it myself. I think Maggard might offer samples...

Sadly, I have the same issue with irritation. Only two products irritate my skin and the other is RR p160, which only started irritating me after I started using the TOBS Sandalwood, so I think it must be the same ingredient.

Roccomon described my experience almost exactly. It is frustrating but maybe the puck sat too long. I will not be in the TOBS Fan club anytime soon and I have two WSP soaps coming soon. Learning experience anyway.

I don't think it has to do with how long the puck sat. I tried it again a couple weeks ago after letting it go for a year or so and no issues with lather. Unfortunately, I forgot how irritating it was for me. :(

I don't think it has to do with how long the puck sat. I tried it again a couple weeks ago after letting it go for a year or so and no issues with lather. Unfortunately, I forgot how irritating it was for me. :(

I don't think it has to to do with how long the puck sat as I have had soaps that I haven't used in some time that have performed very well.

This soap wasn't all that old, on my shelf anyway, don't know when it was made. But it went from a soap that lathered well and provided a slick facial coating to one that just cleaned, no slickness at all. Anyway, it is gone, moving on.

Which WSP formula did you pick? The original base is their Rustic Shaving Soap which is their all natural vegan formula. It does contain stearic acide from plant based sources.
I tend to prefer tallow based soaps, so I chose the Formula T base. So far I have Barbershop, Gaelic Tweed, Mahogony, Bay Rum, and two limited edition scents: Blackbeard and Distinguished Gentlemen. They are all wonderful, both in performance and in scent. Although I do not need any more soaps, I am tempted to pick up the four scents I do not have in my collection. I am also anticipating any future limited edition scents.

There are several scents in the Rustic line that are not yet available in the Formula T line. I don't know whether to purchase them in Rustic, or wait in hopes lee will expand the Formula T line. i

I have the WSP Barbershop and Old Kentucky. Both are very nice and work well. As an update on my TOBS problem, I gave the puck an overnight with a coating of water. The next day it performed well with a Maggard synthetic. Since then, I have put it away wet and it has been okay with synthetics. I am not convinced that the wooden bowl does not seal it well and sitting for a long time dries it out. All of my other soaps are in plastic or tin containers that seal. Th e wooden bowl has a loose fitting top. With the Maggard or a Razorock Monster synthetic, TOBS works nicely. In fairness to them, it is likely a good soap that requires more finesse than I have.

Top Bottom