What's new

TOBS Sandalwood

I just got my first container of Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood via Amazon Prime the other day. And while I liked everything about the shaving cream, I thought it smelled nothing like Sandalwood - in the slightest.

Now, I enjoyed the smell, as did my wife, but we both agreed that it smelled very "soapy", and not much Sandalwood scent at all (comparing to Proraso Red and Captain's Choice Sandalwood).

Has anyone ever experienced this? Did I get an old (or weak) tub of cream? Or, is this just the way the TOBS scent is?

I've noticed a lot of variations in sandalwood scents. I have used TOBS, as well as Captain's Choice and T&H. My favorite sandalwood scent is the Art of shaving

I just got my first container of Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood via Amazon Prime the other day. And while I liked everything about the shaving cream, I thought it smelled nothing like Sandalwood - in the slightest.

Now, I enjoyed the smell, as did my wife, but we both agreed that it smelled very "soapy", and not much Sandalwood scent at all (comparing to Proraso Red and Captain's Choice Sandalwood).

Has anyone ever experienced this? Did I get an old (or weak) tub of cream? Or, is this just the way the TOBS scent is?

Worry not.
That is the same reaction my girls had. Soapy was the same word they used.
To me, there are floral notes. I smell geranium specifically. But not so much the "woodiness" of other sandalwood soaps. Still good to my nose, so much so that I have the matching aftershave.

Wait until you try Truefitt and Hills sandalwood.

I'm sort of glad to hear this. I was beginning to wonder if I even knew what "sandalwood" was supposed to smell like.
I really like the scent of Proraso Red croap and aftershave, but was disappointed when I recently got my first tub of TOBS Sandalwood.
A bit soapy with top notes of ... well... fart.
Imagine my further disappointment when I got a small sample jar of Fendrihan-branded "Sandalwood" cream and it smelled very much the same.
At least they both (TOBS and Fendrihan) worked well as shaving creams.

I don't think anyone really knows what true Sandalwood smells like. That's certainly the case if you base it on the scent of various shave creams, as none of them remotely smell the same.

I think TOBS Sandalwood is very woodsy smelling and has no soap smell at all.

I've stopped buying any shave creams via Amazon because I've gotten very questionable products. Some seem very old. I only buy direct from the company, or from a shave shop that turns over well.

The scent is very complex but I also don't detect sandalwood in there. In the end, while the performance was superb, I just couldn't get used to the scent.

There have been a number of threads on this topic. Pure sandalwood essential oil (called Mysore sandalwood) is one of the most expensive fragrances in the world. There are other species of Santalum trees that are also called sandalwood. Nearly all Sandalwood fragrances are a blend of several scents, even when Sandalwood is the primary scent. In the case of TOBS, their "Sandalwood scent" is a blend of 14 different scents. That is why you cannot use TOBS to determine the scent of sandalwood. There are a number of soaps like Proraso Sandalwood that are primarily sandalwood, but I suspect even those have other scents blended due to the expense of pure sandalwood oil.

TOBS sandalwood is one of my favorites. In fact just got a new tub today. I much prefer it to AoS sandalwood. I have 3 pucks of AoS sandalwood soap I doubt I’ll ever use up.

I'm sort of glad to hear this. I was beginning to wonder if I even knew what "sandalwood" was supposed to smell like.
This is where I am. After using Sandalwood and being extremely pleased with the performance of the ToOBS, I couldn't find a different scent fast enough. In fact, I've avoided anything "Sandalwood" since. Now, I am hearing sandalwood doesn't necessarily smell like ToOBS Sandalwood, and I'm pleased as well as confused. Seems like it is time to smell some other Sandalwood offerings.

This is where I am. After using Sandalwood and being extremely pleased with the performance of the ToOBS, I couldn't find a different scent fast enough. In fact, I've avoided anything "Sandalwood" since. Now, I am hearing sandalwood doesn't necessarily smell like ToOBS Sandalwood, and I'm pleased as well as confused. Seems like it is time to smell some other Sandalwood offerings.
Then Proraso Red might be one to try, since it smells nothing like the TOBS Sandalwood.

I've noticed a lot of variations in sandalwood scents. I have used TOBS, as well as Captain's Choice and T&H. My favorite sandalwood scent is the Art of shaving
+1 on Art of Shaving's Sandalwood. There's just something about it. How best to put this?.... If AoS Sandalwood was edible, I'd probably gain another 50 lbs (and now, looking at my profile avatar as I type this, people are probably going to think I'm some sort of soap-eating freak).

+1 on Art of Shaving's Sandalwood. There's just something about it. How best to put this?.... If AoS Sandalwood was edible, I'd probably gain another 50 lbs (and now, looking at my profile avatar as I type this, people are probably going to think I'm some sort of soap-eating freak).
but watch out for....SOAP BLINDNESS!

Agree that there does seem to be a wide variety of different scents, which is preferable in my opinion - if they all smelled the same what would be the point?

On that note, one thing that has irritated me for a while and now seems like a good time to get it off my chest....

When I first began wet shaving I bought a Men Rock DE razor gift set containing their sandalwood cream and I have to say it is wonderful. Cappuccino coloured, great performance, wonderful scent. So imagine my disappointment when, having finished it, I ordered a replacement only to discover they had completely changed it! It now looks and smells identical to TOBS sandalwood.

Now I'm not knocking TOBS sandalwood but what is the point, as a relative unknown in the marketplace, of making your product identical to one of the best sellers and then, and here's the kicker, making it 30% more expensive than it???

On a slightly different but related note, another rarely mentioned product on here is Apothecary87 shave cream which is a mix of sandalwood and vanilla and has a very pleasant scent which seems to have the ability to blossom sufficiently to fill the whole room

Just got my first TOBS cream the other day: Sandalwood. Smells like my grandmother’s soap at first, but leaves my face (and the bathroom) smelling like an incense store for the next few hours. They could call it “Nag Champa” and not be far off. Seems to be a step up from Knightsbridge for about the same $$; don’t seem to need aftershave when I use it.

I’m not a good judge of scents but I certainly don’t find this cream unpleasant. I am very pleased with how it works though. Guess I’m more into performance.

Top Bottom