What's new

TOBS Sandalwood cream, very subtle scent

Got a tub of TOBS Sandalwood cream yesterday and couldn't help but notice the scent is vey subtle. Is this normal?

Shaved with it today and everything else is fine. My TOBS Eton College has a much stronger scent.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have tried several Sandalwood creams from the UK, including Taylors, which actually was quite weak. My favourite, in terms of scent and performance, was Simpsons Luxury. In this cream the Sandalwood fragrance was definitely pronounced and to my nose delicious, too.

That being said, the purest and most faithful Sandalwood scented cream nowadays for me is Proraso Red. This Italian marvel lathers up beautifully, shaves beautifully and has deserved a permanent spot in my den.

Last edited:
TOBS sandalwood is the first cream that I found that I disliked the scent. The performance was otherwise wonderful like the other flavors that I love. I have since tried a few other sandalwood scents and have decided I don't really care for any iteration of it. That's odd for me as I rarely dislike anything.

To your point, I found the TOBS sandalwood to be a medium strength. Not really light, but not as powerful as my strongest creams. Maybe it was a little cool in your den?

You could try floating the closed jar in hot water for a few minutes with the brush. That's what I do with weaker scents.

Best Wishes

I found the TOBS Sandalwood to be more on the perfumy side. As for the Proraso Red, less perfumy but a very distinct scent, and one that I like...just finished a tube of it a week ago!

I took the advice of some B&B members and ordered a tub of AoS Sandalwood. Yet to try it, but supposedly the best out there. Smells great in the tub. Waiting until the Fall season to use it.
Mikey

I'm surprised you found it light. I have only one tub of it, but it is fairly strong, although not a true sandalwood scent. Captain's Choice is the only other sandalwood I have tried and it's a lot closer to my sandalwood comb.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I tried the Sandalwood sample pack from WCS several months ago. I found that the British "sandalwood" scents were more a cologne or floral scent with just a base of Sandalwood. None were what I would call "true" sandalwood scents.

My favorite, scent wise, was Cyril Salter

Hmmm, either you evaluated an off cream, or it's a serious case of YMMV because, to me, Taylor's SW smells nothing like AVIB.

OT but I think I nailed what the TOBS Sandalwood scent smells like...Aqua Velva Ice Blue

It's fleeting, but I detect a bit of woodiness in AV Ice Blue when I first splash some on. Kind of a cedar that's very mild, but I get that momentary flash of it.

I've never smelled TOoBS Sandalwood, so I def can't make that comparison, but I get where you're coming from with the woody note in AV.

So, TOBS Sandalwood shave #1 and my first encounter with the "expensive creams". I must say:

TOBS Sandalwood + Astra SP (3rd shave) + Omega 80266:
- The scent was quite strong in mine and there is something in the background of the scent, that i don't like. Overall, the scent is OK to slightly negative for me. Maybe i am a "steak and potatoes" kind of guy, but i prefer Derby Lemon or Proraso White's scent.
- I am in the process of breaking in a new, smaller brush, so maybe i haven't yet figured out how to work the brush well yet, but the lather was very different compared to Proraso or Derby. With the last 2, the lather is dense, compact, much like ice-cream, with a tendency to being shiny. With TOBS, the cream in the jar had a very shiny colour, but the lather, although it looked having good consistency (marengue constistency with peaks holding out in mid air on their own), seemed more opaque, i believe because it had more airy consistency. Applied on the face, it looked bad too. It looked foamy and thin.
- However, performance wise, it beats Proraso in glide. BUT, Proraso + the preshave argan oil hand cream i normally use, is a tiny bit slicker, except from the last pass, where the preshave cream has probably been too diluted or absorbed. Post shave, TOBS was very good too, certainly better than Proraso Blue, but i am not sure about Proraso White.

Bottom line: This cream, makes the use of preshave cream useless. Frankly, i hope the foamy lather was only my mistake being first time use and new to the brush. But even so, the performance was there. Does it really worth 15 EUR? With this scent, for me, definitely not. I am not buying this scent again, that's for sure. Does it really worth X7 compared to Proraso? Not, if you use Proraso with a preshave cream that compensates the lack of glide of Proraso.

Overall, the performance was very good, even if the lather didn't look good. The scent is not for me, but it's not molesting me either. Frankly, preshave cream + Proraso = TOBS with an inferior ATG performance.

Just my 2 cents.

Update about the scent: Several hours after the shave, after having 1) rinsed the brush, 2) Made a lather with dish soap, cleaned the razor with said lather and 3) rinsing the dish soap from the brush, the brush smells clearly and strongly the TOBS sandalwood scent. I think this is the most persisting scent i 've seen so far between Proraso Blue, Whit and Derby Lemon and only Arko can compete with it. I don't even have to bring the brush close to my nose.

Thought I'd come back and update this thread.

After using the TOBS Sandalwood cream a few times, the scent opened up and became quite prominent. My guess is the brand new container had some of the scent evaporate from the surface of the cream. When I exposed fresh cream after a few uses, the full scent came through.

It's probably the easiest cream I have to make a rich lather, and the scent is quickly becoming a favorite. I also no-longer think it smells like AV. It's definitely unique though.

Really like this one.

Last edited:
I smell incense in the cream. And some other background note that i can't specify. Overall, not my cup of tea. It's not offending like Arko, but, not something i would buy again. I hope Proraso Red's interpretation of sandalwood is a bit more to my liking.

I had a sample of tobs sandelwood from a friend and i did not like it at the beginning...just too strong and "old man style" ;) but after some time i started to like it and one day all was gone. So a few days ago i ordered two bowls (the price was good) and was very disappointed with the scent....much weaker than my sample from 1,5 years ago. As someone wrote here, the brush had a strong smell after the shave but not with the new batch. I also remember the colour of the cream was a bit on the yellow side but the new cream is snowwhite.

I really wanted this strong oldschool scent again but I guess it is gone.....read somewhere that they changed to manufacturer...makes sense now.

Top Bottom