What's new

TOBS Sandalwood Cologne... so far am underwhelmed...

Has anyone used TOBS Sandalwood Cologne? TOBS Sandalwood cream is one of my favorites both in performance and in scent. I picked up the TOBS Sandalwood aftershave gel and again, love it. The scent is nice and lingers a bit longer than most. So no surprise, I bought the Sandalwood cologne and so far have been really underwhelmed with the product.

My complaint is that generally speaking I can pick up the scent of other colognes I apply fairly easily. Suffice to say I am very careful not to douse myself as I think there is nothing worse. However, this is the first cologne that I have actually thought I need to put more on, not less.

Do I have an inferior batch? I am interested in your experiences.

Thanks,

Vito

Lots of posts on this subject, Vito, with differing opinions. I started off feeling as you, but I tried an experiment. Put it on at night before going to sleep to see if I could still smell it in the morning. I could. Another trick might be to spray (or dab) a little bit on your undershirt; scent will last longer on cloth than on skin.

Vito, me thinks you have an inferior bottle, or an insensitive nose.
My TOBS sandalwood cologne is quite intense.

coates sandalwood rubberset feather artist club d r harris taylor of old bond street may 12 2016.jpg

I did not find TOBS sandalwood to be a powerhouse. Which is fine since I bought it as a daily-use cologne and I didn't want to be concerned with projection/sillage when I am at work. For me it comes on strong out of the bottle and then it dries down to 'acceptable office performance levels' fairly quickly. It can be sensed 'close to skin' when I get home from work - so for me this is perfect.

A lot of performance concerns depend on what one is used to. Some colognes hit harder out of the bottle and last longer than others, some do not. For me, most colognes recede to 'close to skin' levels within a few hours, barely improving on the performance of the matching aftershave.

One thing I am sure to do is to not rely on my own nose, olfactory fatique is a 'thing' and it's impossible to get a solid read on the matter when your own nose is lying to you. I check in with friends that are 'fragrance' conversant and they give me feedback.

Things that affect longevity/intensity can be body chemistry, skin temps, ambient temps, moisture level on skin at time of application. Hot temps and dry skin kill fragrances on me fairly quickly.

Top Bottom