What's new

TOBS Sandalwood - anything special?

I'm a big fan for TOBS St James cream, and was having high hope for the Sandalwood after reading so much about it. Yesterday I finally got a lot of TOBS cream samples in mail, but wasn't all too impressed by the smell of TOBS Sandalwood cream.

I have the exact sentiment after smelling both the GFT and TOBS. Now I really do wonder what is the real smell of Sandalwood supposed to be...unfortunately Proraso Green gives me burning feeling on face, otherwise, I would have love to give the Proraso red a try.
Proraso Red is very different. I have/had them all. Red is awesome, green to me is an Eucalyptus overkill, don't like it and White had an awful "medicinal" smell and was very dry, poor performer.

For the price of a Proraso tube/tub, I'd give red a shot. I don't think it'll irritate your skin.

+1 ☺

I follow @sarimento1 for his pics. Truly amazing!

thanks!

by the way, a couple years ago, i happened upon a marvelous traditional barber shop in the heart of Budapest! he kindly let me take some snapshots. and a badger followed me home!

dandy barber budapest.jpg

TOBS soaps are neither bad nor great. Average soaps with nice scents and good post-shave properties. I now tend to avoid their creams as, since the new parabens-free formulation, they often get spoiled especially in warm climates.

Anyway in my experience, as far as hard soaps: DRH>>>>TOBS>TRUEFITT>TRUMPER

I love TOBS soaps, I find that they lather about as well as the DRH and MWF soaps, but then again I use them in a super lather with TOBS creams (ex. Sandalwood soap with Mr. Taylors cream). TOBS soaps are highly underrated IMO perform as well as any other, easily the best non-tallow soap that I have tried yet.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
People have been ranting and raving about the wonderfully strong smell of Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood. I picked up a wood bowl and soap puck, excited to finally try this stuff out. It smells like bar soap with a touch of sweet floral. My wife thinks it smells like nursing home. Is this normal? I’m rather disappointed, hoping it isn’t a stale puck.

I find the Taylor of old bond street Sandalwood cream is rich with herbal ingredients and sandal wood scent that creates a addictive impulsive to want to use it regular. I have never owned the hard cake soap and it should be similar I would think, load it like you hate it should help!

I find the Taylor of old bond street Sandalwood cream is rich with herbal ingredients and sandal wood scent that creates a addictive impulsive to want to use it regular. I have never owned the hard cake soap and it should be similar I would think, load it like you hate it should help!
The scent of the hard soap is identical.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It is a sweeter scent that does not smell like herbal sandalwood is my conclusion. I had some Yaqi Sandal wood scent I thought I would give it a try(very inexpensive) and it is not even close to TOBS or CRS sandalwood creams.
I also have the Geo F Trumper Sandalwood skin food and it is a different fragrance , almost opposite of herbal scents. It is a nice scent but I was surprized by the differences. Lots of sandalwoods colognes have Vanilla put in the liquid to smooth the fragrance is my understanding (Dunhill sandalwood). So everyone has their formula's and the premium sandalwood comes from Mysore sandalwood variety from India, it is almost extinct because of demand by perfume manufactures around the world.

It is a sweeter scent that does not smell like herbal sandalwood is my conclusion. I had some Yaqi Sandal wood scent I thought I would give it a try(very inexpensive) and it is not even close to TOBS or CRS sandalwood creams.
I also have the Geo F Trumper Sandalwood skin food and it is a different fragrance , almost opposite of herbal scents. It is a nice scent but I was surprized by the differences. Lots of sandalwoods colognes have Vanilla put in the liquid to smooth the fragrance is my understanding (Dunhill sandalwood). So everyone has their formula's and the premium sandalwood comes from Mysore sandalwood variety from India, it is almost extinct because of demand by perfume manufactures around the world.
I'm familiar with the Mysore variety, I was just trying to grasp the concept what an "herbal" sandalwood would smell like compared to the typical Mysore interpretation.

Top Bottom