What's new

TOBS Sandalwood - anything special?

As others have pointed out, TOBS sandalwood is really more of a cologne scent than true sandalwood. At times I thinks its unfortunate they call it sandalwood because I think many people have purchased it expecting a true sandalwood scent and been disappointed. I love the scent but have never classified it as sandalwood. The cream performance is great like most of the classic English creams. Last time I tried the soap must have been a decade ago and the performance was poor enough that it has not seen the inside of my shave den since. Just too many other high performers out there to bother with it.

As others have pointed out, TOBS sandalwood is really more of a cologne scent than true sandalwood. At times I thinks its unfortunate they call it sandalwood because I think many people have purchased it expecting a true sandalwood scent and been disappointed. I love the scent but have never classified it as sandalwood. The cream performance is great like most of the classic English creams. Last time I tried the soap must have been a decade ago and the performance was poor enough that it has not seen the inside of my shave den since. Just too many other high performers out there to bother with it.
Perhaps you should give it another try? The current formulation is superb.

Perhaps you should give it another try? The current formulation is superb.

Its good to hear they reformulated, the previous effort was not good. I went through a stick of DrH Arlington a year or so back and it was very good. If TOBS was able to meet the performance of DrH then indeed it is worth a try.

Its good to hear they reformulated, the previous effort was not good. I went through a stick of DrH Arlington a year or so back and it was very good. If TOBS was able to meet the performance of DrH then indeed it is worth a try.
I use both TOBS and DR Harris hard soaps (and MWF) and I find the performance of the two, fairly similar.

I bought TOBs sandalwood shave soap..
It’s lathers well enough and performs pretty much as wanted.

I don’t think I’m. Major fan of the scent … yes it does smell like everyone says.
Great Ben the soaps smell I’m nite sure I’d be buying the cologne

I bought TOBs sandalwood shave soap..
It’s lathers well enough and performs pretty much as wanted.

I don’t think I’m. Major fan of the scent … yes it does smell like everyone says.
Great Ben the soaps smell I’m nite sure I’d be buying the cologne
I know I’m not a big fan of the scent. It comes across as too synthetic for me

TOBS sandalwood hard soap and aftershave are my Saturday combo. Interesting scent compared to most sandalwoods I’ve tried, but I like it. The soap performance is just average…not bad, not great. I probably won’t buy it again when this puck is finished years from now.

For me TOBS Sandalwood is special. My Simpson X3 generates an excellent lather in no time. Performance is fantastic. The soap has a nice scent. It’s definitely not overpowering. The aftershave has a sublime scent that is one of my favourites.

IMG_6880.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I used the cream version for several years, with a cheap Perfecto badger (or some other rodent) brush and a Trac II razor. Must be 30+ years ago, but, my memory plays tricks on me at times. Seems only last month my twin daughters were running about the house with their popping toy thing, yet I have an 8 year old grandson from one of them.

Anyway, those were the days before forums such as this; in fact, many were before the interwebs.

Now I know better.

For me TOBS Sandalwood is special. My Simpson X3 generates an excellent lather in no time. Performance is fantastic. The soap has a nice scent. It’s definitely not overpowering. The aftershave has a sublime scent that is one of my favourites.

View attachment 1833662
Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

A puck of TOBS Sandalwood is pretty much shaving nirvana to me. It performs like a champ and smells divine (to my nose at least). I'll never be without it in my den.

The aftershave is absolutely superb as well; and the scent lasts ages.

Top Bottom