What's new

TOBS Sandalwood Alternative Advice Needed

I'm new to this area of the shaving world. I just recently received my Dad's 1958 Executive and I'm excited to be able to use it.

Did a little research and found that TOBS was a well regarded brand so I ordered the Sandalwood Cream.

When I opened the container it was a little over powering. My nose is sensitive to certain smells. I can hardly stand to walk into a candle shop and sometimes walking down the laundry supply aisle at the store is difficult. Don't get me started about the smell of Hyacinth flowers.

I'm sure it is a great product but I gotta find something that is unscented or almost so.

I'm looking at their Organic product. Supposedly unscented.

Anyone have similar issues as me? Can you advise?

Is there a soap exchange here? I opened mine but haven't used it.

Thanks

"Dirty"

I have the TOBS Sandalwood in soap form. I love mine very much. DO you have the full tub size or sample ? IF it is the full tub size cream, would you want to exchange it for a TOBS Peppermint shaving cream that is unused ?

It is a full sized tub (6oz?), I'm glad you like yours but its not for me. I'd rather hold out for the Organic. I'm not sure where the peppermint lands on the smell-o-meter but I think I need to start out with something that advertises as being unscented.

In other words, something that makes no scents at all.

"Dirty"

Thats tough. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to go with unscented soaps and creams. Creams in particular have stronger scents imo (or at least more projecting scents). TOBS are pretty simple so if you know you like a certain scent, you'd probably like the cream.

TOBS sandalwood is very strong scented. If you have the courage to try a hard soap I would recommend another European classic: Mitchell's Wool Fat. It has a very subtle yet pleasent scent. And the lather is second to none.

I have almost a full tub of TOBS sandalwood but I have grown to hate the strong smell that lingers for hours. I made croap today by mixing the sandalwood cream with barber shop shave soap. Super lather, really knocked down the sandalwood smell, and reduced the lingering after the have smell. I used about 3 parts soap to 1 part cream. Lesson learned about sandalwood shave products but I still love the smell elsewhere.

Hi Dirty.

I empathised straight away with your references to the laundry supply aisle and candle shops. Every Yankee Candle outlet I’ve ever walked in has been too much for me and I like fragrances too!

There are some ‘Sandalwood’ creams, which are not as pungent as TOBS, markedly different takes on ‘sandalwood’ and perform as well as in my opinion. Edwin Jagger’s is one. D R Harris’ Sandalwood is another though I prefer their Marlborough scent, which is a blend of cedarwood and sandalwood: both are pleasant and far from cloying, which TOBS can be. Truefitt & Hill also worth considering.

None of the above will linger as Possum092 described and with which I agree about TOBS!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Mitchell's Wool Fat is an excellent performer and the scent is more like soap than anything else. But barring completely unscented soaps you might want to try a scent that simply has a milder profile...something like an aquatic. Lots of aquatics to choose from in the soap shave soap world. I recommend Black Ship Grooming High Seas or Goodfellas'Smile Abysso. Both are easy to lather, decent performing shave soaps. Both are very pleasantly scented, but far from overpowering scents. Neither will linger after the shave.

Last edited:
I bought a sample pack of 12 different TOBS creams some time ago. I found that Sandalwood was the strongest scented by far. If you like the performance of TOBS you could try some of the other variants. Maybe Mr. Taylor, Germyn Street or Royal Forrest. The scents in these are much more subtle.

The only soap or cream I did not like at all. Most of the other TOBS are great though. Try the peppermint for a great summer cream.

TOBS St James is very lightly scented and pleasant.
It is very a very soft and pleasant fragrance.
As for my creams it's usually a toss up between this and Truefitt's 1805 or Ultimate Comfort which is advertised as unscented but does contain Lavender oil.

My suggestion would be to try Ethos Clean for unscented

If you're still looking for a lighter Sandalwood, give T&H a go. They have a smaller tube of cream as well as the hard soap.

I've been using the soap exclusively for the past 2 months; while having a great aroma - it is subtle.

I have certain smell sensitivities which can trigger migraines; I truly feel your pain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom