What's new

TOBS Peppermint Vs. Bigelow-Proraso)

Four months ago when I got into wet shaving, I selected my gear, including the TOBS Peppermint cream and stuck with it with great results. To date the only variation was to settle on a blade that works best with the razor. (Muhle R89/Personna Med Prep)
I have just begun to experiment a bit. I've seen so much written about the reasonably priced Proraso cream (green) I picked up a tube and tried it out last night.

* 1st impression was the scent. Soap. Yes I got a little of the eucalyptus, but the major scent was soap.
* Lather: I bowl lather, and used what I considered a typical amount, but the lather was a tad thin. Rather than fix it, I tried it on my face, but unlike TOBS which continues to build body when swirling the brush on my face, it remained fairly thin. No problem: I added more product, and a minute later had a good rich lather.
* The shave was good. Three passes and the Proraso had good slickness, and cushion throughout. Not a nick or weeper.
* The rinse again was bit of a disappointment. My skin felt taut. I've never used a post shave balm, but now know why they are so popular.

I am going to use the Proraso for another week, so this is just a preliminary comment, but I expected more.
* The TOBS Peppermint has more tingle than the Proraso's menthol... quite a bit more.
* The TOBS smells cleaner, and I actually slather on another coat after my 3rd pass, and leave it on my face while I wash up the gear. When I rinse, my skin feels moisturized and clean. I did not do that with the Proraso.
* The Proraso was a bit harder to rinse off (even from the razor), and left my skin feeling a bit dry.

The Proraso gave me the same great shave I get with TOBS, so I am going to use it for the next week to see if my original impressions hold up.

I have not tried either of those scents, but I prefer the performance of the TOBS sandalwood to the Proraso Red... I enjoy both scents, but I like the shave that I get from the TOBS a little bit better. I haven't used either in a while though as I have been 3017'ing a soap puck, but I look forward to when I get back into the rotation!

Tested out the Proraso green for the first time like you for yesterday's shave... exactly the same result! Good shave but dissapointed with the scent. Think this will be my travel cream and I'll order a Queen Charlotte Iced Key Lime as my everyday - that stuff smells and feels amazing... but sounds like i might have to try the TOBS Peppermint as well!

Agreed. I'll use the tube for travel, but after a week of using the Proraso, I was a bit disappointed.
I have the Queen Charlotte on my Xmas list. I hear it is excellent.

I prefer Proraso green slightly over TOBS Peppermint; however I've only used the latter a handful of times since purchasing it in late April. I would definitely agree about TOBS having a higher degree of cooling!

Top Bottom