What's new

TOBS Container croap, how many shaves?

I may have loaded my tub of TOBS cream right out of the tub when I first started this hobby and the only cream or soap I owned was that single tub, I quickly realized the fallacy of that approach. More than that, I realized how unnecessary it was. I'd say that first tub lasted me about 3 or 4 months. I just wonder how long some of you gentlemen have been loading creams directly from the tub? Are you new to classic wet shaving or have you been doing it this way for years? Curiosity is all.

TOBS goes extremely fast. I thought about that the other day actually. I love TOBS but I don't think I get more than 20 shaves out of it tbh.

Well most importantly for me, I face lather, and I like the cream to be evenly dispersed over a wide area of the tips versus a glob placed in the middle. If I bowl lathered, I probably would be more inclined to scoop some out.. But on the plus side, I only buy TOBS when I find good sales, otherwise it's not worth it since they go quick for my style of loading. I will never pay full price for TOBS. I would rather buy Mystic which is more in line with my price point for soaps.

Well most importantly for me, I face lather, and I like the cream to be evenly dispersed over a wide area of the tips versus a glob placed in the middle. If I bowl lathered, I probably would be more inclined to scoop some out.. But on the plus side, I only buy TOBS when I find good sales, otherwise it's not worth it since they go quick for my style of loading. I will never pay full price for TOBS. I would rather buy Mystic which is more in line with my price point for soaps.

I see how dipping for face lathering would make sense. I'm like you in that I don't like paying full price for anything. I typically only buy things that are discounted. So I'll shop around until I find the best price for everything. Makes my wife nuts. But she sure doesn't complain when I show her how much we saved.

I face lather, and have a few TOBS creams. It maybe better for you to scoop a bit out of the tub, and put a few dots of it directly onto your face. Then just lather up with a damp brush, dipping the tips in warm water until the consistency is right. That’s the way I do it, anyway - right or wrong!

You can still face lather. Take a fingertip amount and place onto brush. Face lather away. You should get at least 100 uses out of a tub of Taylor's cream.

I've been loading the brush from the tub, I go around the container about three times, and then go right to my stainless steel bowl, it makes enough for my 4 pass shave, and I'm golden, I don't push alot to the drain that's for sure, I just feel like I've cranked through alot of it, but then again I don't think I'm truly near the bottom of the bowl either. Maybe I'll shove my finger in there and do a depth check.

The other variable is that the container its self was filled to the brim in one direction and then not very deep in the other, like it just sat under the filling machine and didn't spun around or something.
I think the soap is triple milled so you are not talking about the soap. The cream on the other hand will load like you seem to be doing very easily. I suggest you load a snurdle onto your brush and work from there; a controlled load is much better. I get ~ 14 weeks from the 150 gram bowl doing a 4 pass daily shave. I tend to use a large snurdle (large almond size) because I have hard water.

Well either way, looks like I’m using about the same as everyone else then really and there isn’t too much to be concerned about.

I will admit this stuff is rich and dense and provides a ton of protection.

I got a cool little spatula with my Weishi shave cream, that's what I use. I am surprised more places don't sell these or give them away.

I've never heard of tub loading a brush until very recently. I would not recommend it. Despite the fact that shave creams contain preservatives, I wouldn't push my luck- shave brushes can be loaded with bacteria and fungi. Women get skin infections all the time from old makeup brushes and cosmetics, sometimes quite serious (like MRSA), which is why frequently buying new brushes and makeup is encouraged.

Last edited:
I brush load from the tub as I do with Proraso, Arko, Razorock, all of "soft soaps" or "pucks". I'm shocked at how soft this stuff is, I only need a little swirl and I'm good to go.

I'm not too sure if I'll buy more but there's a good chance I'll have a tub of this in my rotation.

I brush load from the tub as I do with Proraso, Arko, Razorock, all of "soft soaps" or "pucks". I'm shocked at how soft this stuff is, I only need a little swirl and I'm good to go.

I'm not too sure if I'll buy more but there's a good chance I'll have a tub of this in my rotation.

It's soft because it's a cream. Not a soap. Others have said the same in this thread. If there is still any question in your mind whether it's a soap or a cream, just read the dang label. It says Sandalwood Shaving Cream. Pretty simple.

IMG_0013.jpeg

I don’t recall being confused by what the label says. Maybe you know something about me that I don’t.

Don't mind me. I'm just an ornery old fart. I was just responding because you referred to it as soap in your first two posts in the thread and your last post you say how "shocked at how soft this stuff is". I don't know anything about you at all. We do agree on one thing though. TOBS is good stuff. Cheers.

Top Bottom