What's new

TOBS Avocado

I am a real fan of TOBS shave creams. . .I have used Eton College and Mr. Taylor. I have been told the Avocado is one of their most popular and I'm thinking of trying it. I've been told the scent is not the greatest with the Avocado, but it unusually creamy, and has better lubrication than the others. Is this true? Have any of you used the Avocado? I'd like to hear what you think about it. Thanks.

I've yet to use a TOBS cream that is less than stellar, but Avocado may be the best. The scent isn't at all bad to me. It's not what you expect shaving soap to smell like (sandalwood or flowers or leather) but it's a really fresh vegetable scent. To me it smells sort of like freshly washed vegetables or a farmers market. I finished a tub not long ago and I would have no hesitations buying it again once I use up some of the stash I already have.

I used the TOBS avocado at the weekend. It's my favorite cream (I prefer soaps in general).

The scent isn't overpowering and quite subtle but I personally love it as it just smells fresh and I enjoy it the sensation it evokes when I'm whipping it up and shaving.

As for the cream to actually shave with I find the protection and lubrication excellent and amongst the best amongst my soap/cream collection. It's a tub I'll always have in rotation. It lathers very easily and the blade, Shark SC in an EJ 86 at the weekend, just glides over it. I also like the way my face feels afterwards, not to soft but it doesn't dry out. I swirl the very damp brush in the cream a couple of times and apply straight to a soaking wet face and face lather. In what is regarded as one of the poorer brushes, a budget Wlikinson Sword brush, I get enough lather for my 3 passes and a final touch up without the need to load during any of the passes so for me it's spot on.

Certainly one of my go to products.

Very good cream for the price.
Very soothing for the skin, in my Top 10 list over my Favorite winter creams.
Scent is sort of a fresh grassy scent combined with a 'vegetable market place' kind of smell.
Quite nice. But not my Favorite scent though.

I am personally a fan of the scent. It smells like avocado, but slightly sweeter. It has a honeydew melon scent, but richer, almost as if it was honeydew melon mixed with cream.

TOBS Avocado is a great performing cream; it smells terrible though. To me it smells exactly like a citronella candle.

I went through a tub of Avocado and it was fine. Slicker than the other TOBS scents I've tried. However, the scent is very similar to Nancy Boy Signature (also made with Avocado oil) and I prefer NB over TOBS. They both perform similarly, but NB has a slight edge in performance at a similar price. NB also makes a matching balm which is very good.

I went through a tub of Avocado and it was fine. Slicker than the other TOBS scents I've tried. However, the scent is very similar to Nancy Boy Signature (also made with Avocado oil) and I prefer NB over TOBS. They both perform similarly, but NB has a slight edge in performance at a similar price. NB also makes a matching balm which is very good.

I believe BrookR1 means Nancy Boy Replenishing, as the Nancy Boy Signature has more of a lavender/mint thing going on...

Nancy Boy Replenishing has a cucumber smell while the Signature has more of an avocado smell. Signature is minty, but I picked up on the avocado immediately.

Very nice cream but for me the performance is exactly like the other TOBS creams so if you have tried other TOBS creams I would go for it if you think you will like the scent since the performance is the same.

Very nice cream but for me the performance is exactly like the other TOBS creams so if you have tried other TOBS creams I would go for it if you think you will like the scent since the performance is the same.

+1 Smells like cucumbers to me.. I personally like it and the performance is very good IMO..

See here's the thing about the scent as far as I can tell. It's an avocado oil scent. Not the actual avocado. So it's funky and something most aren't used to. If you can get past that part, then it's an amazing cream that performs quite well.

I got in on the Myhabit sale, 2 for 25 shipped, and I have yet to use them, but that's because I have an older sample of it I've been using. So needless to say, even though it's not my #1 cream/soap, it gets used. It's good stuff.

I am a real fan of TOBS shave creams. . .I have used Eton College and Mr. Taylor. I have been told the Avocado is one of their most popular and I'm thinking of trying it. I've been told the scent is not the greatest with the Avocado, but it unusually creamy, and has better lubrication than the others. Is this true? Have any of you used the Avocado? I'd like to hear what you think about it. Thanks.

I'm in the distinct minority here. I can't stand the scent at all and it has irritated my skin a few X's,hence,I quit using it. For me,as far as the GFT creams go,nothing comes close to the marvelous Coconut cream. Wonderful stuff !

Craig

Thanks, guys . . . I was a little concerned about the scent issue with Avocado. I tried TOBS Sandalwood and did not like it. To me it smelled like insect repellent or citronella. As I said I love Eton College and Mr. Taylor . . . I'm looking for something different. What do you think of the Almond scent?

I have eight of the TOBS creams and I like them all very much. The Avocado is an outstanding performer and has a very pleasant scent that smells more like cucumber than avocado in a good way. You might also like Shaving Shop which is a great "barbershop" scent.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom