What's new

TOBS Avocado isn’t.

I noticed on my new jar of TOBS avocado cream that persea gratissima (avocado oil) is not listed in the ingredients. TOBS confirms that “this product no longer contains avocado oil.” It’s still a great cream. I’m not sure I would have noticed the omission, had I not read the ingredients list. But it does seem inappropriate for Taylor’s to continue to call it “avocado.”
Regards,
Stan

I think the same can be said about a lot of products where the derivation of the scent doesn't necessarily coincide with the ingredients.

The Avocado cream smells more like freshly mowed grass than an avocado, that's for sure. Not an unpleasant smell, but the name definitely seems wrong now that it doesn't contain avocado oil.

while we're at it, let's also rename "boneless chicken wings"!!

proxy.php

I love Eton College and I always find a few bits of Eton in the bottom ;)

I have a sample of TOBS Avo. I like it, might even get it. But I don’t get Avo from it. I get more.....cucumber maybe? It’s fresh and crisp and I like it but don’t find the Avo.

What's in the Sharp Dressed Man?

It's been a while, but I didn't think it smelled like an avocado. It did smell great, though. I really wish I enjoyed creams more.

I suspect they simply didn’t want to pay the company that makes their cream extra to run a special batch of base that uses different ingredients. Now it’s just fragrance. Very lame. I liked this Avocado cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed on my new jar of TOBS avocado cream that persea gratissima (avocado oil) is not listed in the ingredients. TOBS confirms that “this product no longer contains avocado oil.” It’s still a great cream. I’m not sure I would have noticed the omission, had I not read the ingredients list. But it does seem inappropriate for Taylor’s to continue to call it “avocado.”
Regards,
Stan

Reference: “First report on quality and purity evaluations of avocado oil sold in the US” by Hilary S.Green and Selina C.Wang, 3 May 2020, Food Control.

Apparently, it is very difficult to obtain unadulterated avocado oil that isn’t rancid, at least in the USA. The problem might be even worse in Europe.

The research summary in SciTechDaily said only 18% of samples were pure and fresh.

Changes in formulation are usually attributed to one or more of the following:
Change in EU regulations (most common),
Cost of natural ingredient, e.g. Indian Sandalwood
Fear of liability from severe allergic reactions, hence, changes in EU regulations,
Effort to make copycat fragrances illegal, difficult or prohibitively expensive to produce by switching to synthetics.
I'd bet my money on EU regs, as countless fragrances used in soaps, creams, cosmetics, and toiletries have had to change their formulations over the years, most recently in 2016.

Top Bottom