What's new

TOBS Avocado -- bad batch?

I bought some TOBS Avocado through Amazon. unlike the Rose, this is a very hard paste, harder than my Tcheon Fung Sing. And the performance was lousy. Is this what it's usually like?

I've experienced the same with TOBS Avocado. Its waxy in consistency, but you should still be able to use your finger to scoop as much as you need. TOBS creams can vary. I'm sure its normal.

I've heard often of liquids leaking from these soaps during shipping or during storage and thus leaving behind a much harder paste than is normally seen. However, I've never had much issue getting them to lather well, other than the Jermyn Street incident which was caused by epsoms salt on my brush. For me, even when they're firm and I have to scoop some out with my finger to dab into my brush, I haven't had any issues that a little extra brush moisture wouldn't fix.

as above, try hydrating it, let is rest for a couple days, give it a good stir, and try again.
i found it to be an excellent, well-lathering and moisturizing cream.

tobs avocado 4576.jpg

My tub of TOBS Avocado is certainly "harder" in consistency than my TOBS Eton College and Proraso creams, and it seems "almost waxy" in consistency. However, it creates one of the best, smoothest, thickest lathers of them all.
I scoop out a finger tip sized portion, bury it into the head of my Simpson's brush, and bowl lather it for half a minute or so. Then brush it on my face and shave. Absolutely wonderful !

so i added some water and waited. nothing. Next I poked a few holes through. It was like piercing a an almost solid surface, but underneath it was soft! after the holes and a little gentle mixing I left it till tonght. Eh voila, cream. I conclude it was old stock imperfectly sealed that had formed a hard crust. My hope is the crust will now be absorbed .

I thought about this post this morning as I pulled out my own tub of TOBS avocado and started prepping for my shave. I pulled out a tub of TOBS sandalwood from the same vintage and compared them side by side, and the Avocado is definitely naturally firmer and slightly thicker than the sandalwood from the get go. Glad you figured out the issue though. Good shaves.

TOBS Avocado is my regular cream, so I'd like to add my experience:

Firstly, when fresh it is a lighter consistency than the other TOBS creams!

But it drys out quite easily, and forms a crust on the top layer. It only takes several months, even in a newly sealed container. On tubs I've bought with that crusty top layer, I've scraped it off with a spoon and disposed of it. That layer will be thin.

Quite honestly, I enjoy Avocado. I do find it a better performer in terms of slipperiness, at least in relationship to other TOBS creams. If you're going to do creams, in terms of performance and value this one should be on your list to try!

I recently had a tub of it and it was pretty soft. I normally bloom all of my soaps and when I tried to bloom that stuff, it kind of turned into a mushy mess, like really soupy oatmeal. I didnt bloom it after that and it performed great.

You may want to try stirring it with a knife before you think of adding water to it. It is the nature of these types of creams to become thicker when they settle but stirring can often bring it back to a smoother consistency. There was a post about this a while back but I haven't been able to locate it...

Top Bottom