What's new

Tobs and g trumper shave soaps

These soaps get poor reviews. However, the reviews seem a few years old. Are there any up to date reviews? Has the soaps improved recently?

Geo F. Trumper and Truefitt & Hill soaps are bad while their creams are excellent.

TOBS soaps are not that bad. TOBS creams are not my favorites and the soaps are on the same level in my limited experience (Sandalwood & Jermyn Street both soaps and creams). It all depends if you prefer soaps over creams. TOBS are also the only shaving creams that spoiled due to hot weather, that's why I switched to their soaps.

D.R. Harris makes both great soaps and creams, as a matter of fact I had a very slick and protective lather today from their Sandalwood cream. I also prefer their sandalwood scent over the TOBS version.

These soaps get poor reviews. However, the reviews seem a few years old. Are there any up to date reviews? Has the soaps improved recently?

Sir Roy, take any review with a big grain of salt and do your own discovery!
I totally enjoy my two TOBS hard soaps!
As for Trumper, I'm fortunate to have their tallow versions, but also their non-tallow Eucris, all of which are great, IMHO!
But, unfortunately, you'll get lots of bashing for all!
Again, do your own exploring and enjoy!

tobs and gft soaps.jpg

I’ve used Trumper’s soap for years with a cartridge, because I didn’t know any better. Slickness OK, but lather’s poorly. With an SR the Trumper’s is almost useless. I have tried TOBS cream, like it quite a bit.

I’ve used Trumper’s soap for years with a cartridge, because I didn’t know any better. Slickness OK, but lather’s poorly. With an SR the Trumper’s is almost useless. I have tried TOBS cream, like it quite a bit.
Agree re Trumper. Almost impossible to lather unless you are very patient, but excellent slickness, so a good shave is possible. And they are famous for their scents, which are very nice, if that's your thing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Geo F. Trumper and Truefitt & Hill soaps are bad while their creams are excellent.

TOBS soaps are not that bad. TOBS creams are not my favorites and the soaps are on the same level in my limited experience (Sandalwood & Jermyn Street both soaps and creams). It all depends if you prefer soaps over creams. TOBS are also the only shaving creams that spoiled due to hot weather, that's why I switched to their soaps.

D.R. Harris makes both great soaps and creams, as a matter of fact I had a very slick and protective lather today from their Sandalwood cream. I also prefer their sandalwood scent over the TOBS version.
I have gft (coconut)and tobs creams that I like. Never tried the soap.

I bought the rose soap, to see if it WAS any good. Their creams are excellent.
Oh, I thought ,how easy to lather! However, that lather, either face or bowl, vanished when I was not finished the pass! What on earth do they do to make such a poor soap. Having said that, no nicks so maybe there's hope!

We are waiting new review from you, Roy. GF Trumper old soaps were very good but after reformulation their reputation went down. My current favorite British soap is DR Harris (protectiveness is equal to MWF, imho)

As per my previous post above, I continued to try again, but the lather was poor, and the shaves were not close. Then infrared some and mixed it with some Cella. This was an excellent mix as hood as anything. So Trumper, see what you can do and make your soap as good as your creams can be.

We are waiting new review from you, Roy. GF Trumper old soaps were very good but after reformulation their reputation went down. My current favorite British soap is DR Harris (protectiveness is equal to MWF, imho)

+1! Due to poor reviews of their reformulation, I have avoided these products. Hope things have improved!

You can get good lathers from Trumper soaps. I’ve found that the trick is to load heavily at first and then dial it back a bit to find the right water soap balance.
I'll have to try that. I've loaded heavily thus far, but perhaps not enough. I've been able to get fantastic lathers with every other soap I've tried, especially with my new silvertip brush, but NOT with my Eucris soap. I get yogurt with everything else, but not with Eucris. The lather is not as thick, and it fizzles to almost nothing before I can shave one side of my face. I get a close shave, but only by reapplying many times. This was NOT true with the previous Eucris soap I used. The change in formula has defeated all of my efforts to create a decent lather, and I've been DE shaving for a number of years now, with fantastic results.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

TOBS creams, the only product specified by OP that I've personally tried, have always performed just fine for me.

I haven't used a GFT soap in a decade but wasn't impressed. I've had several TOBS soap pucks (2 Sandalwood pucks, Lime Zest (yes they made it in that scent back in 2015), and Jermyn Street) over the past few years and I must say their soaps are top notch. They perform just like a tallow-based soap and the lather produced is very creamy and dense with cushion, and glide just like DRH and MWF soaps. They are very good soaps that get very little mention but perform with the best of them. Wish they made more of their scents in a soap form.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Trumper's soap is more difficult to lather than my regular rotation soaps, but it is still capable of decent results:
*Spoon/grate a quarter to half a TSP (or so) into the bottom/center of the Captain's Choice Copper bowl
*Add a bit of hot water to soften the Trumper's
*Soak your brush in warm water - shake and squeeze most of the water out
*Load a LOT of soap onto the brush
*As soon as the Trumper's in the bowl has softened, start building lather - saturate the brush with lather
* Reload the brush from the puck before each pass, including the first pass
* Apply the lather to your face, dipping the tips lightly as needed.

The process is kind of a combination of bowl and face lathering and works really well with GFT. :)

The scent from the soap blends beautifully with the scent from the Gabel's AS. Lime Heaven. :)

The Trumper's soap takes more time to build a good lather, but it is not bad soap. If you are getting thin, disappearing lather, keep re-loading the brush.

I end up with enough lather for a very nice 3-pass shave with touch-ups - no irritation, cuts, nicks or weepers and with very nice post-shave face feel. :cool:

YMMV

You should try Cyril R Salters hard soap, ingredients list is identical to D.R. Harris (I believe the same company makes both) but the Salter soap is about half the price! The only downside is they only have one scent but it's a very nice lavender scent.

Top Bottom