What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Tobs and g trumper shave soaps

These soaps get poor reviews. However, the reviews seem a few years old. Are there any up to date reviews? Has the soaps improved recently?

Geo F. Trumper and Truefitt & Hill soaps are bad while their creams are excellent.

TOBS soaps are not that bad. TOBS creams are not my favorites and the soaps are on the same level in my limited experience (Sandalwood & Jermyn Street both soaps and creams). It all depends if you prefer soaps over creams. TOBS are also the only shaving creams that spoiled due to hot weather, that's why I switched to their soaps.

D.R. Harris makes both great soaps and creams, as a matter of fact I had a very slick and protective lather today from their Sandalwood cream. I also prefer their sandalwood scent over the TOBS version.

Reactions: nav

sarimento1

Contributor
These soaps get poor reviews. However, the reviews seem a few years old. Are there any up to date reviews? Has the soaps improved recently?
Sir Roy, take any review with a big grain of salt and do your own discovery!
I totally enjoy my two TOBS hard soaps!
As for Trumper, I'm fortunate to have their tallow versions, but also their non-tallow Eucris, all of which are great, IMHO!
But, unfortunately, you'll get lots of bashing for all!
Again, do your own exploring and enjoy!

tobs and gft soaps.jpg

I’ve used Trumper’s soap for years with a cartridge, because I didn’t know any better. Slickness OK, but lather’s poorly. With an SR the Trumper’s is almost useless. I have tried TOBS cream, like it quite a bit.

I’ve used Trumper’s soap for years with a cartridge, because I didn’t know any better. Slickness OK, but lather’s poorly. With an SR the Trumper’s is almost useless. I have tried TOBS cream, like it quite a bit.
Agree re Trumper. Almost impossible to lather unless you are very patient, but excellent slickness, so a good shave is possible. And they are famous for their scents, which are very nice, if that's your thing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Geo F. Trumper and Truefitt & Hill soaps are bad while their creams are excellent.

TOBS soaps are not that bad. TOBS creams are not my favorites and the soaps are on the same level in my limited experience (Sandalwood & Jermyn Street both soaps and creams). It all depends if you prefer soaps over creams. TOBS are also the only shaving creams that spoiled due to hot weather, that's why I switched to their soaps.

D.R. Harris makes both great soaps and creams, as a matter of fact I had a very slick and protective lather today from their Sandalwood cream. I also prefer their sandalwood scent over the TOBS version.
I have gft (coconut)and tobs creams that I like. Never tried the soap.

I bought the rose soap, to see if it WAS any good. Their creams are excellent.
Oh, I thought ,how easy to lather! However, that lather, either face or bowl, vanished when I was not finished the pass! What on earth do they do to make such a poor soap. Having said that, no nicks so maybe there's hope!

We are waiting new review from you, Roy. GF Trumper old soaps were very good but after reformulation their reputation went down. My current favorite British soap is DR Harris (protectiveness is equal to MWF, imho)

As per my previous post above, I continued to try again, but the lather was poor, and the shaves were not close. Then infrared some and mixed it with some Cella. This was an excellent mix as hood as anything. So Trumper, see what you can do and make your soap as good as your creams can be.

BigJ

Ambassador
We are waiting new review from you, Roy. GF Trumper old soaps were very good but after reformulation their reputation went down. My current favorite British soap is DR Harris (protectiveness is equal to MWF, imho)
+1! Due to poor reviews of their reformulation, I have avoided these products. Hope things have improved!

beginish

Moderator Emeritus
You can get good lathers from Trumper soaps. I’ve found that the trick is to load heavily at first and then dial it back a bit to find the right water soap balance.

Top Bottom