What's new

Tobacquisitions September 2020

Last week's Watch City order was temporarily lost, but now it's found. Not the fault of the USPS, but a forgetful Office Manager on my end. All is well that ends well!
proxy.php

After almost a month (well, 2 weeks) Canada Post has acknowledged receipt of my two Cobs . . . I just might have them on Monday of next week. That will give me 3 cobs, a MM Hardwood, my Frankenpipe, a Brigham and a Morgan Bones. And two more coming on my birthday in a couple weeks.

What was I saying about not going crazy with acquisitions? Maybe just a Savinelli, and then I'll stop, I swear.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I never want to sample that ever again 🤣
I’ve given it some thought and actually started to buy it and it was out of stock. It is so far afield of my current tastes, I doubt if I ever will either. I’m on the patio at the moment enjoying a nice bowl of Velvet and procrastinating finishing trimming the lawn.

After almost a month (well, 2 weeks) Canada Post has acknowledged receipt of my two Cobs . . . I just might have them on Monday of next week. That will give me 3 cobs, a MM Hardwood, my Frankenpipe, a Brigham and a Morgan Bones. And two more coming on my birthday in a couple weeks.

What was I saying about not going crazy with acquisitions? Maybe just a Savinelli, and then I'll stop, I swear.

LOL . . . just checked the CanPost tracking information. My pipes flew from Chicago to Montreal? Now they have to move west to Toronto in order to be delivered. No wonder the post Office is dying . . .

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Doh, a new word for me, Carotte not carrot... Yes a carotte.
proxy.php

I don't know how Peter Heinrich does it, but here is an interesting method...

After the tobacco has been properly assorted and cured, it is put into cylindrical rolls called carottes, each carotte usually containing four pounds of tobacco, but sometimes carottes weighing one pound are put up for local demand. To put up a carotte, the tobacco is taken from under pressure, each leaf opened, straightened and aired. A cotton cloth, 24x18 inches, is laid upon a table and covered with robe or wrapper leaves, the under surface of the leaf being turned uppermost. The fibers of the leaves are so arranged as to point to the middle longitudinal line of the cloth. A layer of filler leaves, one-half inch in thickness, is placed on the wrapper leaves, extending to within one inch of the edge of the cloth. Over this layer of leaves a second cloth is placed and the tobacco tramped. The layer of tobacco then is doubled over at each end about three inches and tramped again. The entire mass—cloth, wrappers and fillers—is then rolled into a cylinder fifteen inches long and three inches in diameter, a hole being kept through the center, making a tube, into which the ends of the wrapper leaves are tucked. The ends of the cloth are then tied with strings, and a rope, one-third of an inch in diameter, is wound tightly into a coil around the roll from end to end, by the use of a windlass made for the purpose. The rope is removed from the roll at the end of 24 hours, and then rewound more tightly. T

These are usually put up during the winter months, and this work employs every member of the household in taking the twists from the presses and opening them, straightening and weighing the tobacco, before putting it into carottes. The tobacco often remains under pressure for twelve months, and it is said to grow sweeter and better with time. As there is a demand for it, the tobacco is put into carottes. The carottes form a species of currency with the local merchants, and they are always taken in exchange for goods, or received in payment of debts.

1599162183310.png

Tobacco Leaf, Its Culture and Cure, Marketing and Manufacture: A Practical Handbook on the Most Approved Methods in Growing, Harvesting, Curing, Packing and Selling Tobacco, Also of Tobacco Manufacture 1897

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Doh, a new word for me, Carotte not carrot... Yes a carotte.
proxy.php

I don't know how Peter Heinrich does it, but here is an interesting method...

After the tobacco has been properly assorted and cured, it is put into cylindrical rolls called carottes, each carotte usually containing four pounds of tobacco, but sometimes carottes weighing one pound are put up for local demand. To put up a carotte, the tobacco is taken from under pressure, each leaf opened, straightened and aired. A cotton cloth, 24x18 inches, is laid upon a table and covered with robe or wrapper leaves, the under surface of the leaf being turned uppermost. The fibers of the leaves are so arranged as to point to the middle longitudinal line of the cloth. A layer of filler leaves, one-half inch in thickness, is placed on the wrapper leaves, extending to within one inch of the edge of the cloth. Over this layer of leaves a second cloth is placed and the tobacco tramped. The layer of tobacco then is doubled over at each end about three inches and tramped again. The entire mass—cloth, wrappers and fillers—is then rolled into a cylinder fifteen inches long and three inches in diameter, a hole being kept through the center, making a tube, into which the ends of the wrapper leaves are tucked. The ends of the cloth are then tied with strings, and a rope, one-third of an inch in diameter, is wound tightly into a coil around the roll from end to end, by the use of a windlass made for the purpose. The rope is removed from the roll at the end of 24 hours, and then rewound more tightly. T

These are usually put up during the winter months, and this work employs every member of the household in taking the twists from the presses and opening them, straightening and weighing the tobacco, before putting it into carottes. The tobacco often remains under pressure for twelve months, and it is said to grow sweeter and better with time. As there is a demand for it, the tobacco is put into carottes. The carottes form a species of currency with the local merchants, and they are always taken in exchange for goods, or received in payment of debts.

View attachment 1149727

Tobacco Leaf, Its Culture and Cure, Marketing and Manufacture: A Practical Handbook on the Most Approved Methods in Growing, Harvesting, Curing, Packing and Selling Tobacco, Also of Tobacco Manufacture 1897

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it hurt a bit to have to cut it into chunks? I wish I could have kept mine intact but prefer my tobacco cellared in smaller increments.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

If you are hoping we will help you justify shutting down your PAD/TAD...you came to the wrong crowd! :pipe:

Top Bottom