Tobacquisitions- July 2018

Discussion in 'The Brown Leaf' started by Claudel Xerxes, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Claudel Xerxes

Claudel Xerxes Moderator

Post 'em if you get 'em!

2. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

image.jpg

Haven’t smoked it yet, but 32.00 for a Morta is not bad at all.

It definitely has an “oakish” flavor. I wonder if it’s just an oak pipe dyed black? Is there a Morta test?

3. Claudel Xerxes

Claudel Xerxes Moderator

Most morta is oak. Bog oak is what it's referred to. Nice looking pipe!

4. Kentos

Is morta naturally black?

5. Claudel Xerxes

Claudel Xerxes Moderator

It most certainly can be. It all depends on the age.

6. Got these today. A Larrysson bent Rhodesian, a Paulsson apple prince, and a plug cutter.

Bent Rhodesian.jpg
    Apple Prince.jpg
    Plug Cutter.jpg

7. Kentos

Nice!!

8. Kentos

image.jpg
    Smokes quite nicely but don’t think it’s Morta. The black coating comes off...

9. Thanks! And I appreciate the lead on the cutter. It's a huge improvement over anything else I've used.

Thanks! The pipes and board just happened to come in on the same day. Royal Mail from England took so long, last pipe I ordered, I asked Paul to ship UPS this time and the pipes were shipped last Friday. Fast!!! lol...

10. Man, I hate to see that.

11. Kentos

Aye. I’m gonna have to guess that just a raw block of Morta costs more than 32.00.

12. oc_in_fw

oc_in_fw Contributor

13. LOL!!! Good news is, as lessons go, that's a pretty cheap lesson. Lord knows I've had my share.

Olive? So that's the color. That picture makes it look more in your face than it actually is. I really do like it. I asked for a blasted finish and he emailed me and told me the grain was so nice, he really hated to blast it. I told him to give it a smooth finish, if he felt that strongly about it, lol. The birdseye on yours is remarkable. I don't think I've seen prettier birdseye grain than yours.

14. Kentos

I think it will be my Lakeland pipe :).

15. oc_in_fw

oc_in_fw Contributor

Great flame grain. The wide rim on mine highlighted the Birdseye, but your flame looks great. If Paul says it shouldn’t be blasted, he’s right. Blast just covers blemishes.

16. LOL! Sounds like a good job for it. I haven’t smoked lakelands for a while. I’m going to have to pack a radiator with some grousemoor.

At the point he told me that, I hadn’t seen the pipe but I agreed with him it was sacrilege to blast over nice grain. He’s the master pipe dude and it would have been foolish for me to have not trusted his judgement. I was more than pleased when he sent me pictures, and I liked it even more when I held it in my hand. It’s bowl is just shy of 1”dia and is 1.5”deep. I loaded it with Gaslight tonight, thinly sliced and very lightly broken up, and I enjoyed a 2 1/2+ hour smoke.

17. :a36::c17:

18. Kentos

According to the seller it’s dyed black because it’s only been in the bog for 200 years and only 8000 year ones are black. So why dye it? Because it’s a design element by the carver.

Lol the guy has an answer for everything.

19. Tommy Tutone

Tommy Tutone Contributor