What's new

Tobaccos that ageing spoiled?

The tobaccos I’ve thought turned out subjectively better after jarring and “cellaring” were not overly Latakia-Ed English and Scottish mixtures (Dunhill 965, MacBaren Scottish in particular). These, and other blends like these (uncased Va/Bur/Oriental), seem to develop a creamy quality and a smoothing of the sharper notes. I haven’t tried this with others, as I tend to use them up too quickly to test.

Anything I’ve jarred/cellared that was an aromatic SOMETIMES gets a bit mellower on the casing, but I think I attribute that more to them drying out than to the age. I don’t age aromatics, I just don’t smoke them often and usually leave the lids cracked (or off) in an attempt to make them smokable.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
About two weeks ago when SP dropped their GH inventory Coniston Cut Plug finally came into stock. I smoked a bowl a couple years ago but I know it wasn’t to my liking as I never smoked another. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I decided to crack the jar and give it another go. I don’t know if it was the aging or my taste buds maturing, but heck it was a good smoke. The Lakeland essence melded into the Dark Fired and Va’s instead of overpowering them. So I picked up as much as I could and took chance on a similar blend Bosun Plug.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What Sutliff did you age? I have a couple pounds in my cellar I was hoping would age well.
It is Sutliff Victoria. I believe it aged well but the Perique lost its mojo some. I put up a couple of pounds of Sutliff Red Virginia and it is doing well. I don’t know why I bought two pounds because I don’t smoke VA often but there will come a time I expect. Minimally, it is tobacco so I’ll have some well aged stuff hanging about. At present, I’m smoking PA, CH and SWR as my daily fare. I love those three most of all. I am an old codger and by golly, I’m going to behave like one!

Top Bottom