What's new

Tobacco suggestions please

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This is going to be rather long, so I apologize now.

After pulling the trigger and ordering the 2020 LE pipe (with ivory stem) I am in need of some suggestions. I smoked a pipe for a couple of years 15 years ago while trying to quit smoking cigarettes. I managed to quit smoking everything except the occasional cigar so I need to gear back up.

I'm married to a vascular surgeon who sees the effects of long term smoking every day so she is not exactly enthusiastic about this new pastime of mine. She didn’t mind the occasional cigar but hated the the “stink” as she put it. I have ordered 2oz each of Sutliff Creme Brule and Vanilla Custard as well as 2oz of Lane 1-Q so that I will have some “non-stinky” tobacco to smoke while she is around.

What I need suggestions on now are blends that would be just for me. I don’t need a huge nicotine hit and would prefer a mild/medium smoke.

I have no idea what I used to smoke, I just went to the local cigar shop and picked something that smelled good. I have been reading every thread I could here for the past couple of days and have perused the offerings at 2-3 online retailers and now my brain is numb. I’m looking for 2-3 brands/types to buy and try then go from there. I have an amphora sampler in the cart because I saw it suggested quite a few times.
I will only be smoking 1-2 bowls a week so everything that I purchase will be cellared in some way because I will be smoking it so slowly. I have tons of empty mason jars and my vaccum sealer even has a handy gadget to vacuum seal lids to mason jars. If there are any "must have" or special edition tobaccos that are available now I would be willing to buy in bulk just to have it. If I don't like it, I'll PIF it like I do with blades and soaps that I don't care for.

I have also ordered a Missouri Meerschaum cob, a tamper, and some pipe cleaners. Any other suggestions for gear?

Thanks,
Adam

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Escudo would be a good one to consider. Even the venerable old Prince Albert offers a lovely smoke and is quite available at low cost. Carter Hall, another old drug store brand is available in grocery stores and the like. On the higher end, Orlik Golden Slices, I liked every Peterson blend, Balkan Sasieni. There are just so many, particularly the English tobaccos. I’m going to start having a couple of bowls a week again as well. Pipe smoking is very enjoyable and you don’t even have to inhale - best not in any case. You can find a good selection of previously owned excellent pipes on eBay for very good prices. They are very easy to polish up to like new and are already broken in to boot!

Haven’t smoked a pipe in years but all this free time has me thinking I should pick it up again.

Escudo was a good one I remember. Also I was a big fan of the Samuel Gawith blends, theywere really enjoyable. Full Virginia flake, skiff and squadron leader were my favourite.

I second Prince Albert. As for the amphora sampler it is great. I purchased it for my first order of tobacco(still finishing the pouches) and have been pleased with the type of cut/moisture level right out of the package.

As for your other choices, Creme brûlée is on my list to try as well as lane 1q. You’ll have me beat on trying those first!

Collecting some limited releases is the way I’ve gone. Figure it gives me a goal to smoke the amphora faster! Watch out though because it seems to me some limited releases are just marketing strategy.

Perfect idea if you don’t like the tobacco. I’m jarring mine but I might have to PIF a blend when i get to one i don’t like...Thanks for the idea. Haha

As for the pipe. Smoke the cob until it’s broke! I love mine and wouldn’t trade it. Maybe get a backup and get save it for when the first one breaks or you toss it! Two is one, one is none...

If you want to upgrade to a briar before receiving the LE pipe, grab an estate from eBay, Savinelli series iii, or a Morgan Bones. I grabbed a Morgan Bones because I liked the fractal burning on the pipes! Haven’t smoked it yet. Stuck with the cob haha. Maybe when I’m done with the amphora I’ll smoke the bones pipe.

I read this someplace, “Cigarettes are for smoking, cigars are for enjoying, pipes are for savoring” or something like that!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
English Blends are tasty but are up there in cigar stinkiness to nonsmokers.

Compared to cigars pipe smoke is really mild and unobtrusive, so accordingly the flavors are milder as well. If you are good at getting flavors from wine, coffee, beer etc. I think you can get the hang of pipe tobacco. If you can’t tell one red from the next or a crappy 7-11 coffee to a fresh ground French Press Kona, it will be harder but not impossible :).

I really like Va and Burley blends. Latakia blends are ok too but for some reason I don’t reach for them much. Va’s run the gamut from sweet to sour, grassy to hay to apricot to dark fermented fruit. Sometimes I get a whiff of shortbread, sometimes a bit of clove and spice. Burleys on the other hand are more nutty, earthy, and have more nicotine.

Teasing flavors will take time and practice. Your first few bowls may not be too great. When you finally get up and running post up a thread for advice.

Cigarettes are like Carts, Cigars are like DE’s, Pipes are like Straights.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I believe that will be a good start. I just had a bowl of Carter Hall I had stashed away. First pipe in a long time. Loved it but my mind was on Orik I Must admit. I’ll make a run to the tobacconist Monday or Tuesday.
I second Prince Albert. As for the amphora sampler it is great. I purchased it for my first order of tobacco(still finishing the pouches) and have been pleased with the type of cut/moisture level right out of the package.

As for your other choices, Creme brûlée is on my list to try as well as lane 1q. You’ll have me beat on trying those first!

Collecting some limited releases is the way I’ve gone. Figure it gives me a goal to smoke the amphora faster! Watch out though because it seems to me some limited releases are just marketing strategy.

Perfect idea if you don’t like the tobacco. I’m jarring mine but I might have to PIF a blend when i get to one i don’t like...Thanks for the idea. Haha

As for the pipe. Smoke the cob until it’s broke! I love mine and wouldn’t trade it. Maybe get a backup and get save it for when the first one breaks or you toss it! Two is one, one is none...

If you want to upgrade to a briar before receiving the LE pipe, grab an estate from eBay, Savinelli series iii, or a Morgan Bones. I grabbed a Morgan Bones because I liked the fractal burning on the pipes! Haven’t smoked it yet. Stuck with the cob haha. Maybe when I’m done with the amphora I’ll smoke the bones pipe.

I read this someplace, “Cigarettes are for smoking, cigars are for enjoying, pipes are for savoring” or something like that!
I just placed a bid on a Savinelli. Stay away for a few days. 😆 There are some good opportunities on the bay now.

One piece of advice, or maybe more: With the aromatics, such as the Creme brulee, 1-Q, etc. These tobaccos need to be smoked slowly, without "puffing". Because they have a fair amount of topping, they can burn hot and steam your tongue. Pack them lightly and sip on the pipe. Two things I learned early on: The object of pipe smoking is not to see how much tobacco you can cram into your pipe. And, puffing billowing clouds of smoke may look good, but your tongue will not thank you.
I find I have to be careful with Virginia blends, especially red Virginia blends, they tend to scorch my tongue if I puff too hard. I don't know if it is a body chemistry thing or what, but it is a thing. And, I love Virginia blends, VaPers, VaBurs, VaOrs, etc.
One other piece of advice. Don't over buy any particular blend just because one of us "experts" says it's the end all. Buy a tin or an ounce or two and give it a go, then decide to go big or go home. We obviously all have different tastes, otherwise there would only be a half dozen or so blends.
Most of all; Have fun!

That is precisely the problem.
I added Orlik Golden slices,Prince Albert, and Escudo to my order. Hopefully between these and the Amphora sampler I’ll get a good feel for what I like. Thanks for the advise.
Adam
Orlik Golden Slice is a favorite.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
English Blends are tasty but are up there in cigar stinkiness to nonsmokers.

Compared to cigars pipe smoke is really mild and unobtrusive, so accordingly the flavors are milder as well. If you are good at getting flavors from wine, coffee, beer etc. I think you can get the hang of pipe tobacco. If you can’t tell one red from the next or a crappy 7-11 coffee to a fresh ground French Press Kona, it will be harder but not impossible :).

I really like Va and Burley blends. Latakia blends are ok too but for some reason I don’t reach for them much. Va’s run the gamut from sweet to sour, grassy to hay to apricot to dark fermented fruit. Sometimes I get a whiff of shortbread, sometimes a bit of clove and spice. Burleys on the other hand are more nutty, earthy, and have more nicotine.

Teasing flavors will take time and practice. Your first few bowls may not be too great. When you finally get up and running post up a thread for advice.

Cigarettes are like Carts, Cigars are like DE’s, Pipes are like Straights.
I’m lucky- the wife loves the smell of Latakia, though I don’t often smoke a pipe indoors.

Top Bottom