What's new

Tobacco suggestions please

So with mclelland out, i caNt get 5125, and hal o wynd seems sold out everywhere.
I need to get a few pipes but also dont want to blow thru my 15 yr old stuff of aged tobacco
What are good virginias nowdays, in relation to the 2 above.

Also i have a pipes and cigars magazine, anything in there worth ordering since it seems to be on sale. I havnt looked at tobacco yet much as all i did was pull out the box of stuff i had.
Suggestions welcomed on anything, starting over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think I've smoked a bunch of straight virginias. Samuel gawith full virginia flake and best brown flake are good. Most everything else I've had has had other stuff in it too. Escudo is a popular va/per. Peter stockabye luxury navy flake and bullseye flake are good. Orlick golden sliced in a good one as well. I really have liked Peterson irish oak as well. :thumbup:

My short list for Virginias that I enjoy and you can still get are MacBaren Pure Virginia, GL Pease Union Square, Capstan Blue, Dunhill Ye Olde Signe, Dunhill Flake, Peter Stokkebye Luxury twist flake Samuel Gawith Best Brown and FVF. Many others out there but these I have ample experience with and to my taste satisfy the Virginia crave.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My short list for Virginias that I enjoy and you can still get are MacBaren Pure Virginia, GL Pease Union Square, Capstan Blue, Dunhill Ye Olde Signe, Dunhill Flake, Peter Stokkebye Luxury twist flake Samuel Gawith Best Brown and FVF. Many others out there but these I have ample experience with and to my taste satisfy the Virginia crave.
I like MacB HH Pure Virginia over SG FVF.

I’ve never tried 5125 so I may not be much help, but I do love straight VA for something different than oriental and balkan blends I usually smoke.

Capstain Blue Navy Flake and ready rub are great
Dunhill Flake after aging
MacBaren No. 1 Virginia is similar to dunhill

Those are about all I’ve tried. I still need to find a replacement stoved VA once my stock of Black Shag goes up in smoke.

Is pure virginia a grassy Virginia? Or a darker fruity Virginia?
personally I think its right down the middle with noticeable dark fruity notes as well as grassy notes. The use of both reds and lemons are melded in my opinion just right for me. I also don't get any harsh or bitey character in this tobacco and most VA's as much as I love them can bite me if i go hard on them. YMMV as always.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is pure virginia a grassy Virginia? Or a darker fruity Virginia?
There is some grass, but not at fresh FVF level. I get more dark fruit. I have a feeling that they age it before selling, but more experienced VA smokers more input. Have you not had any PV yet?

personally I think its right down the middle with noticeable dark fruity notes as well as grassy notes. The use of both reds and lemons are melded in my opinion just right for me. I also don't get any harsh or bitey character in this tobacco and most VA's as much as I love them can bite me if i go hard on them. YMMV as always.

Nice gonna have to try it.

There is some grass, but not at fresh FVF level. I get more dark fruit. I have a feeling that they age it before selling, but more experienced VA smokers more input. Have you not had any PV yet?

I have not sadly. Lots of macbaren blends are on my want list.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are really familiar with HOTW it’s difficult to find an equal IMO. It has a unique flavor with the Va, fired cured and Perique.

If you like HOTW I think any of the more popular VaPers will be good. Night Train is a different blend than HOTW but you might like that as well.

Another vote for Orlik Golden Sliced. Hal o’ the Wynd is my favorite Virginia, but since I haven’t been able to find it for ~6 months, I’ve discovered that GS scratches the itch pretty well.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Just for the record, McClelland 5125 is an Oriental blend. I haven't tried it, but it's components are drastically different than what would be considered a VA blend.

HOTW is pretty unique. I've been smoking cigars more than pipes this past year, so I'm a bit hazy on what's what. I'll try to smoke some in the next week or two to refresh the memory.

Not a Virginia Guy at all, but when I smoke one those are the ones I like (I prefer more bold, less sweet VAs)
- Mac Baren HH Virginia Flake (earthy, vinegar-ish, tart, very(!) mild sweetness)
- Motzek / TAK Virginia Cake (more of a citrusy-sweet VA) or Sunny Virgi (has both citrusy-sweet and tart-earthy notes)
- HU Tobacco Red Fox (very malty, nice!)

Maybe one of those is for you, good luck on your journey ! ;-)

Top Bottom