What's new

Tobacco scents

Real tobacco has a wonderful aroma, in my opinion. But it has to be real tobacco and the most aromatic varieties.

Unfortunately cigarettes do not smell of tobacco at all - at least modern cigarettes don’t. I dread to think what kind of stuff we are burning and inhaling when we smoke a Marlboro, but whatever tobacco is in there is utterly overwhelmed by the noxious additives. I dislike the smell of cigars too - they have a muddy, sickly, too rich aroma to me, and are not a pleasant smelling tobacco.

But when I took up pipe smoking it was a revelation, and I immediately understood why tobacco has captivated mankind for centuries and how it came to dominate the global economy. The delicate, slightly sweet fragrance of virginia tobacco, or the heartier, nutty aroma of burley are delightful. I get many compliments when I smoke these - people who are reminded of a loved grandfather and the soft, homely smell of his pipes. The heavily smoke-cured oriental tobaccos like latakia are a favourite of mine too, but the strong bonfire smell isn’t always a crowd pleaser.

Beyond that I can’t contribute much to the subject of this thread. I don’t use tobacco perfumes other than Tom Ford Tobacco Oud and House of Mammoth Tobacconist - which are both pretty nice but are only tobacco scents in the sense that they have possibly a tobacco-esque note in the mixture to give the perfume some backbone and a dark, smoky quality. I wouldn’t really be able to tell much difference between this smoky ‘tobacco’ note and another smoky whisky or smoky leather kind of note. I think in fragrances these are all in the same wheelhouse and they are really just a smoky note.

But wanted to post this just to point out that tobacco doesn’t and shouldn’t mean cigarette or cigar. Fragrant, real tobaccos and the smoke they produce can be a lovely aroma. Unfortunately what people smoke now is smouldering garbage, and it smells like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom