What's new

Tobacco scents

Thanks for the additional suggestions guys. I'll need to do some ordering. I'm going to have to have these shipped to work so my wife doesn't ask why I'm ordering even more shave soap. Jeez, I'm going to need another shelf in the bathroom too. :a52:

Thanks for the additional suggestions guys. I'll need to do some ordering. I'm going to have to have these shipped to work so my wife doesn't ask why I'm ordering even more shave soap. Jeez, I'm going to need another shelf in the bathroom too. :a52:
That’s nothing, I’d start to worry when you need another bathroom not just a shelf!😀

That’s nothing, I’d start to worry when you need another bathroom not just a shelf!😀
Ha ha! I lived in an RV for 5 years; my storage of soaps, aftershave and other paraphernalia was taking over our 40' RV. We just bought a house with a huge Master Bathroom with dual sinks. My shaving collection took over 3 large cabinets on my side. I stand in awe of my own overindulgence.

I noticed that Joserra's Rodrigo de Jerez is back in stock at The Razor Company listed under Los Jabones de Joserra. This is a truly excellent soap, IMHO. If you are looking for a high end tobacco scented soap, this is it and the price reflects that status.

I placed an order for MacDuff's Trail Tobacco soap. If it is anywhere near as good as their Backcountry Bourbon soap, I will be very pleased as the Backcountry Bourbon is excellent as well.

Last edited:
Ha ha! I lived in an RV for 5 years; my storage of soaps, aftershave and other paraphernalia was taking over our 40' RV. We just bought a house with a huge Master Bathroom with dual sinks. My shaving collection took over 3 large cabinets on my side. I stand in awe of my own overindulgence.

I noticed that Joserra's Rodrigo de Jerez is back in stock at The Razor Company listed under Los Jabones de Joserra. This is a truly excellent soap, IMHO. If you are looking for a high end tobacco scented soap, this is it and the price reflects that status.

I placed an order for MacDuff's Trail Tobacco soap. If it is anywhere near as good as their Backcountry Bourbon soap, I will be very pleased as the Backcountry Bourbon is excellent as well.
Excellent! Looking forward to your thoughts on the Trail Tobacco. I ended up getting PAA Cavendish as my first PAA soap but was eyeing the Trail Tobacco there as well.

Excellent! Looking forward to your thoughts on the Trail Tobacco. I ended up getting PAA Cavendish as my first PAA soap but was eyeing the Trail Tobacco there as well.
Two days ago was my first use of Trail Tobacco. This is a very soft soap which I happen to like. It makes whipping up lather from soap smeared on the bottom of my copper lathering bowl as easy as pie. I don't stint on the amount of soap I use these days and the soap spread easily on the bowl. As I worked in drops of lather, the soap went through various consistencies from ropey to Elmer glue to a nice voluminous lather. When I mistakenly tipped the side of the bowl into water in the sink and putting in a little too much water before the third pass, I simply worked the lather a bit more to incorporate the water. It never lost its slickness. Performance was top notch.

The scent is an interesting take on a tobacco leaf scent. The listed scent notes include tobacco leaf, plum and spice. I enjoyed it but will have to see how it appeals to me in the fullness of time. Of some interest was the fact that the scent notes differ in the matching aftershave: tobacco leaf, lemon zest and spice. I actually prefer the aftershave version. My wife commented that it is manly scent, reminding her, in a good way, of her father who smoked cigars regularly.

Last edited:
Two days ago was my first use of Trail Tobacco. This is a very soft soap which I happen to like. It makes whipping up lather from soap smeared on the bottom of my copper lathering bowl as easy as pie. I don't stint on the amount of soap I use these days and the soap spread easily on the bowl. As I worked in drops of lather, the soap went through various consistencies from ropey to Elmer glue to a nice voluminous lather. When I mistakenly tipped the side of the bowl into water in the sink and putting in a little too much water before the third pass, I simply worked the lather a bit more to incorporate the water. It never lost its slickness. Performance was top notch.

The scent is an interesting take on a tobacco leaf scent. The listed scent notes include tobacco leaf, plum and spice. I enjoyed it but will have to see how it appeals to me in the fullness of time. Of some interest was the fact that the scent notes differ in the matching aftershave: tobacco leaf, lemon zest and spice. I actually prefer the aftershave version. My wife commented that it is manly scent, reminding her, in a good way, of her father who smoked cigars regularly.
Nice review. Do you pick up the plum and spice in the scent? The plum sounded intriguing though I don't know how that would actually smell like. And the spice - is more more of a peppery spice than a sweet spice? Sounds like it's more in cigar territory than pipe though?

Nice review. Do you pick up the plum and spice in the scent? The plum sounded intriguing though I don't know how that would actually smell like. And the spice - is more more of a peppery spice than a sweet spice? Sounds like it's more in cigar territory than pipe though?
MacDuffs has deemphasized the plum from a prior iteration of the soap. Here is how MacDuffs responded to my comments: "The full scent notes on Trail Tobacco are as follows: Lemon Zest, Butterscotch, Spiced Plum, Cured Tobacco Leaf, Vetiver, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Roasted Coffee, Amber. The plum note on the tub is from prior versions where I emphasized that note in the scent blend--I just missed changing that and will make sure I don't miss that for future labels!"

My limited scent palate did not readily pick up on the spice notes nor, for that matter, on the plum note. That suits me fine as I was not looking forward to the plum in this scent blend. I think the plum and spice must be pretty well blended in. I will pay closer attention the next time I use this soap.

BTW, the label features a pipe.

MacDuffs has deemphasized the plum from a prior iteration of the soap. Here is how MacDuffs responded to my comments: "The full scent notes on Trail Tobacco are as follows: Lemon Zest, Butterscotch, Spiced Plum, Cured Tobacco Leaf, Vetiver, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Roasted Coffee, Amber. The plum note on the tub is from prior versions where I emphasized that note in the scent blend--I just missed changing that and will make sure I don't miss that for future labels!"

My limited scent palate did not readily pick up on the spice notes nor, for that matter, on the plum note. That suits me fine as I was not looking forward to the plum in this scent blend. I think the plum and spice must be pretty well blended in. I will pay closer attention the next time I use this soap.

BTW, the label features a pipe.
Good point about the pipe being on the label. Overall, sounds like a deviation from the classic sweeter-smelling pipe scent, which sounds nice. Always good to get feedback on what folks think of the various tobacco scents 👍

I recently tried Pre de Provence 63 and found it to have a tobacco scented dry down. When I first opened the tin, there was a string hit of flowers and spices, but sometime after I set the puck to dry post-shaving, when I returned to the washroom, there was a slightly sweet tobacco scent.

Top Bottom