What's new

Tobacco dried out

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I went to have a pipe today and my tobacco is dried out bad. Is there a technique to rehydrate without wrecking it?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I tried a new method this morning and I am sold!
The SG tins I bought were dry as a bone. Virtually no moisture content at ALL.
I took a 1 gallon ziploc bag and put the 100 grams of tobacco in.
I then added 0.4 ounces of distilled water directly into the bag, that's about 12% moisture by weight.
Using a pipe stem, and with the ziploc almost completely closed except for where the stem went in, I blew up the ziploc bag, and closed it the rest of the way as I pulled the stem out.
This gave me an inflated ziploc bag pillow.
I shook the bag up, and set it aside.
Every half hour or so, I shook the bag to mix things up.
After 3 hours, the 'baccy was like it just came out of a tin!
With one done, back in the original bag, and in the tin, I put the tin inside a mylar bag and heat sealed it.
I have two of the remaining 4 tins rehydrating now.
This method works a treat!

ylekot

I tried a new method this morning and I am sold!
The SG tins I bought were dry as a bone. Virtually no moisture content at ALL.
I took a 1 gallon ziploc bag and put the 100 grams of tobacco in.
I then added 0.4 ounces of distilled water directly into the bag, that's about 12% moisture by weight.
Using a pipe stem, and with the ziploc almost completely closed except for where the stem went in, I blew up the ziploc bag, and closed it the rest of the way as I pulled the stem out.
This gave me an inflated ziploc bag pillow.
I shook the bag up, and set it aside.
Every half hour or so, I shook the bag to mix things up.
After 3 hours, the 'baccy was like it just came out of a tin!
With one done, back in the original bag, and in the tin, I put the tin inside a mylar bag and heat sealed it.
I have two of the remaining 4 tins rehydrating now.
This method works a treat!
That's like maths and stuff......ugh
Glad it works!!

Since every thread needs a contrary opinion, here's mine: nothing you can do to fully dried-out tobacco will restore it to anything I can tolerate. The flavor never comes back properly, and it will always smoke harsh. I've tried many, many different restoration techniques.

This opinion is based on non-aromatic tobacco, though. I'd bet that the results would be much better on anything with casings, and, especially, propylene glycol mixed in.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's like maths and stuff......ugh
Glad it works!!
You can do weight of tobacco in ounces multiplied by .12 to get ounces of water needed.
or
Take the number of grams of tobacco and multiply by 0.0043, and you'll have the amount in ounces of water you need.
Quick calculator function.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Since every thread needs a contrary opinion, here's mine: nothing you can do to fully dried-out tobacco will restore it to anything I can tolerate. The flavor never comes back properly, and it will always smoke harsh. I've tried many, many different restoration techniques.

This opinion is based on non-aromatic tobacco, though. I'd bet that the results would be much better on anything with casings, and, especially, propylene glycol mixed in.
Rehydrated dried tobacco certainly isn't going to be as good as tobacco that didn't dry out, but it's a good way to save what otherwise may go in the dumpster.
Everyone has to make their own call if it is worth it or not.
A pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh or Captain Black? Probably not.
If it's an expensive brand or something that is out of production... maybe it is worth it.

ylekot

Rehydrated dried tobacco certainly isn't going to be as good as tobacco that didn't dry out, but it's a good way to save what otherwise may go in the dumpster.
Everyone has to make their own call if it is worth it or not.
A pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh or Captain Black? Probably not.
If it's an expensive brand or something that is out of production... maybe it is worth it.
Hey!!! Some of us is poor right now!

Can't you, in the future, keep it in a small cooler with some sort of humidifier? I've got 10-15 year old cigars in my "coolerdor" that I use cigar humidifying beads in and they're fine after all these years.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Can't you, in the future, keep it in a small cooler with some sort of humidifier? I've got 10-15 year old cigars in my "coolerdor" that I use cigar humidifying beads in and they're fine after all these years.
Stuff I buy and have control over stay in sealed tins, or in mason jars. Tins that may be suspect in the future go in mylar bags.
Accidents happen though, and I have purchased 'baccy that is already dry/neglected before I got it.
If I can save that, it's a plus.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Everyone on this thread is right on dried out tobacco.

Once it's dried out, you'll never get it all back again by rehydrating. Some of the oils evaporate off with that moisture. You can't put that back. But there's still a lot of flavor left in most instances. So it's worth a little distilled water to make it smoke a little better. My experience is that rehydrating slowly gives a better result than doing it more quickly. But both can be effective.

The old apple trick is a tried and true method for short duration pouch keeping. I would personally shy away from it for long term storage or rehydration, because of the deleterious effects of packing away that much raw sugar for so long.

I personally won't rehydrate most dried samples, unless it is past a point where it can't smolder adequately. I think most tobaccos are packed too wet to begin with.

For less complex blends that have dried out, you can also get creative, and experiment with 're-casing' the blend a little. Adding a judicious amount brandy or bourbon to the water mix can sometimes present some interesting flavor outcomes.

Unlike cigars, you can actually smoke pipe tobacco even if it's bone dry. It won't be optimal, certainly, but it's alright. Alternatively, Multum in parvo's method works well, or you can very lightly mist it with some brandy.

Why all the sugers? Brandy, apple, ...?
Just go with a small humifier (coinshaped or terracota ones) and keep up to it (i never do, i smoke my tabacco dry)

Top Bottom