What's new

Tobacco Acquirements for May 2020

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Tis true. Everyone has a different experience. Air temp, humidity when you jar it, all plays a role in sure.

I hear you. I just think that if Shane Ireland, Charles Rattray, Greg Pease, & Russ Ouellette (just to name a few) suggest to leave some space or to pack it loose, then I'll take their word for it.

If I still bought bulk tobacco, then I'd be inclined to test the amount of difference between the two methods. @radrick96 , that might be a fun experiment to do. Jam pack one jar, then leave another of the same blend and batch with a little breathing room. In two years, let us know. :)

I hear you. I just think that if Shane Ireland, Charles Rattray, Greg Pease, & Russ Ouellette (just to name a few) suggest to leave some space or to pack it loose, then I'll take their word for it.

If I still bought bulk tobacco, then I'd be inclined to test the amount of difference between the two methods. @radrick96 , that might be a fun experiment to do. Jam pack one jar, then leave another of the same blend and batch with a little breathing room. In two years, let us know. :)
I’ll do that this week. I know Virginia’s age well so I will pick one of those. Any recommendations? I like both my CD Carolina red flake and my amphora Virginia tobaccos so far...

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I’ll do that this week. I know Virginia’s age well so I will pick one of those. Any recommendations? I like both my CD Carolina red flake and my amphora Virginia tobaccos so far...

Maybe pick up some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (if you can find the latter). Really, any VA forward blend will lend itself to developing with age. Your Carolina Red Flake is a great candidate, but it might be best to just age it in the tin it's in (which has quite a lot of breathing room).

Maybe pick up some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (if you can find the latter). Really, any VA forward blend will lend itself to developing with age. Your Carolina Red Flake is a great candidate, but it might be best to just age it in the tin it's in (which has quite a lot of breathing room).
Yes, the Carolina red flake I plan on keeping in the sealed tin. I might go with the navy flake Just because I’ve been curious about it! Thanks for the help :)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You don't leave a bit of space at the top of the jar?

I don’t cram ribbon in to pack it hard, but I do fill it full and press it down as I’m going. There’s still air in there. And I do leave a slight gap at the top, but not for the purpose of leaving an air gap; I do it to help ensure I’m not catching any tobacco under the rubber gasket which will interfere with the seal.

I know there’s different schools of thought on this. I’ve talked to a lot of guys who have been doing this a longtime and feel comfortable with the techniques I’ve arrived at. And remember, the round screw down tins are jammed full and everybody thinks those are fine for aging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to support the local B&Ms as much as possible right now. Local shop opened this box up just a little while ago and scavengers picked off a few before I decided to pull the trigger. Oh well, at least there’s 15 left.
6B1B411C-A311-40D2-A237-271D7E278E7E.jpeg

EF9343D1-13A5-424F-ABF3-98F97EA99B06.jpeg

8D54DBA5-B293-411E-81DA-35C0AD991BDB.jpeg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Does the wife complain about it taking up space in the fridge? Or do you have a dedicated one?

It competes for beer space in the mini fridge, so she doesn’t mind. I just have to stock the fridge more often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom