What's new

To wax suede boots or not?

Recently picked up suede chukkas (picture attached). I'm debating waxing them with Obenauf
(similar to what was done in this post, ). Obviously you lose the nap suede has (no longer suede anymore) and it's pretty much permanent. But on the other hand it's easier to take care of and more weatherproof (?). Thoughts?

boots.jpg

I wouldn't do it. I think the Snoseal-treated shoes look terrible, and desert boots are simply not made for that kind of wear. There are purpose made cleaners and conditioner/protectors that you can get for your shoes. Even then, those kinds of treatments are not the first place I'd go. The best thing that you can do is to keep them clean and dry them gently--a good, careful brushing after wearing is helpful in preserving the life of your boot. At the same time, you have to accept that a rough leather desert boot is just not going to have the same life as a comparable shoe made out of finished leather. I once ended up with two pair of identical Clarks boots--one in suede, and one in a finished "beeswax" leather. The suede uppers wore through, were patched, wore through again, and I recently threw them away.The beeswax leather ones are still going strong. But the rough leather ones were my favorite!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have a pair of suede monk straps that, new, had waxed toes and heel counters. Once the novelty of such nonsense passed, I was able to brush out the wax and restore the suede to its natural look. I now much prefer them unwaxed.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Good choice. I've decided in the long run it makes more sense to have a couple pair of "snow" shoes - waterproof. I generally put them away when spring arrives and they last a good long time.

Nano Protector is what you want. I hit all my suede products with it. It’s magical.
Good choice. I've decided in the long run it makes more sense to have a couple pair of "snow" shoes - waterproof. I generally put them away when spring arrives and they last a good long time.

What I realized is I'll never wear these in bad weather, even little rain. Crepe soles in rain is dangerous enough.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thank you everyone, I've decided not to wax them.
What I realized is I'll never wear these in bad weather, even little rain. Crepe soles in rain is dangerous enough.

You made the right call.

There are plenty of purpose-built shoes and boots out there that will thrive in the rain and snow ... but these are called DESERT boots for a reason.

Just to revisit the wax/not wax debate: I picked up a pair of Wolverine 1000-Mile boots in tobacco suede on sale a while back. I didn't like the leather sole, so my local cobbler replaced it with a full Vibram 430. After that, they've been essentially sitting in my closet for a couple of years. I realized that they look kind of orange-y to me, and I just haven't been reaching for them. So, the other day I dug out the Sno-Seal. I rubbed in a coat of wax by hand, then hit it with a heat gun. Did one more coat the same way. After they cooled, I gave them a light brushing and now they're good to go. Essentially, they look like the cinnamon waxed flesh that companies like White's uses. Pretty happy with the results and I'm sure that I'll be wearing them a lot more once it starts to cool off. And I don't have to worry about the suede getting messed up.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Just to revisit the wax/not wax debate: I picked up a pair of Wolverine 1000-Mile boots in tobacco suede on sale a while back. I didn't like the leather sole, so my local cobbler replaced it with a full Vibram 430. After that, they've been essentially sitting in my closet for a couple of years. I realized that they look kind of orange-y to me, and I just haven't been reaching for them. So, the other day I dug out the Sno-Seal. I rubbed in a coat of wax by hand, then hit it with a heat gun. Did one more coat the same way. After they cooled, I gave them a light brushing and now they're good to go. Essentially, they look like the cinnamon waxed flesh that companies like White's uses. Pretty happy with the results and I'm sure that I'll be wearing them a lot more once it starts to cool off. And I don't have to worry about the suede getting messed up.
Cool. Glad it worked out for you.

In general, I think suede is a lot tougher than people think. Not super water resistant, but it won't get irreparably wrecked either. Just stuff in some newspaper and let dry at room temp, just like normal leather boots, and brush afterwards. Frankly, suede boots looks great with a little wabi-sabi anyway.

Top Bottom