What's new

To vest or not to vest?

Fellow Sartorialists,

I have been graciously invited to the wedding of two good friends of mine who have been dating since high school (who does that anymore?!).

Between studying for the GRE and working non-stop, I have been contemplating what I was going to wear for this wedding.

I was wondering if it's taboo or in bad form to wear a vest/waistcoat under a suit jacket to someone else's wedding? The wedding will be Dec. 26, so it's still holiday time and festive.

Details on the suit:
Midnight navy color (almost looks black) with a two button jacket. I plan on wearing a light blue shirt with a light and dark blue, paisley tie.

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

I love the vest, i find that once everyone sits down at the reception with jackets removed it seems too casual. Also my finance loves the vest so that helps too.

If you are weariing the paisely print tie, I would think a solid colour waistcoat would be the preferred choice though I am not sure if there is a particular etiquette for that. If you want some very striking waistcoats, look at Wah Maker brand. They are very Victorian in style and fairly well made. One company, The Gentleman's Emporium, has very good selection. The waistcoat page is here. Whatever you choose, please post up a photo. I too like waistcoats.

Regards, Todd

I'd ask the bride and/or groom, as some have serious expectations as to what they want are their wedding and it's never a good thing to upstage either of them.

I would only wear the vest/waist coat if its part of the suit...otherwise you'll look like your living in the 80s.

I also think you are wearing too much blue...the suit color that you describe is a formal color so I would wear a white shirt and silver tie.

Last edited:
Gersh darn't.

I forgot to mention that the vest is part of the suit. I got them tailor made in India.

WhosYerBob: Good idea about asking the bride and groom. I'll check with them to make sure.

Cuttingboard: White shirt and silver tie. Something to consider.

Thank you all! Keep the suggestions coming.

I would say no to the vest. it seems suitable if you're the groom but if it were anyone else it would seem like you're trying too hard and you would stick out like a sore thumb. don't get me wrong, I like 3-piece suits but it seems like there are very few occasions these days to need to wear one

Remember. Once the recepetion starts and everyone goes "jackets-off" the only people wearing vests will be the Groom's party. And you.

Guess it depends on how you feel about being forced to dance with the hugest brides-maid.

Remember. Once the recepetion starts and everyone goes "jackets-off" the only people wearing vests will be the Groom's party. And you.

Guess it depends on how you feel about being forced to dance with the hugest brides-maid.

:lol::lol::lol: I will yield to that comment. No vest. Thanks for the erudite advice everyone!

I would only wear the vest/waist coat if its part of the suit...otherwise you'll look like your living in the 80s.

I also think you are wearing too much blue...the suit color that you describe is a formal color so I would wear a white shirt and silver tie.

+1 - add some other colors to break up the blue.

I think you have to wear your day suit to the wedding and then change into your evening suit for the reception...sorry!! Kidding!! You'll look fine, after a few drinks, no one will know what your wearing!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The wedding is in the afternoon and the reception is in the evening. I think a tuxedo might be over kill.

Technically, you shouldn't wear evening dress (ie a Tuxedo) in the afternoon anyhow.

Wearing all three pieces of a three-piece suit is just fine, provided you are not upstaging the bride and groom. Ditto for showing up to a casual-dress wedding in a Tux &c.

Top Bottom