What's new

To use or not?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
A razor that is not used by anyone will cry alone.
After many years of waiting. This razor must be so happy that someone finally uses it.
Congratulations on becoming its destined owner. :D

View attachment 1335403

I have a variety of DE razors. New and vintage. Probably my favorite is the humble nickel plated brass ball end tech. I have several I bought for $10 to $20. Just great razors. They are all user grade with some brassing and other signs of hard use but of course they shave perfectly.

Last week a supposedly unused ball end tech came up on eBay. Seller said came from an estate sale. Couldn't resist and bid on it. Ended up getting it for my opening bid of about $32 including shipping. It really does look new and unused. Beautiful razor.

Now my dilemma is do I use it or not? I'm not a collector. And it's just a tech not anything rare so I'm inclined to just use and enjoy it?
No matter how rare a razor I own, I always use it at least once. To properly appreciate the physical connection to the past you must shave with it. Add to the mojo.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The one picture 2nd one) shows a blade in it — did it come with the blade, or did you put a blade in it? If it’s the former — it was likely used. Either way, it’s a beauty! I say ‘use it’.

The razor was created many years ago for use. Now, after many decades, she has finally finished her wanderings in search of a master. The choice is yours, but if not for you, then someone else after you would have appreciated it as a working tool.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Nice razor! You could box it up and store it, then in years to come, after you have passed away, and your descendants have donated the razor to a thrift store without a second thought, someone else can buy it, use it, and enjoy it. Or you could use it yourself, that would be my choice 🤣

Exactly!

I'm not a collector.
That answers your question right there. I’m the same way, not a collector, everything I buy I intend to use.

Especially considering razors were meant to be used. It’s like the news shoes dilemma - you want to wear the shoes but at the same time you want them to stay perfect and brand new. But the shoes have to get worn, otherwise they aren’t even shoes at all!

Top Bottom