What's new

To use or not to use vintage razor blades?

These are the stainless. I have two shaves on the first blade so far. I find it compatible with my personna reds, shaves just as good as them. With my whiskers I usually get three to four shaves with the personna's on a good week. Will see what these will do.
One thing I noticed right away is these are thinner than the personna blades. And on a good clean pass they seem to make a sound, like rubbing sandpaper? if that makes sense?

View attachment 1540689
Military issue, 70s I have similar blades from Perma Sharp New York, same era same plain outer box that are Super+ Platinum. Not the best vintage blades but as good as any modern blade that's for sure.

Military issue, 70s I have similar blades from Perma Sharp New York, same era same plain outer box that are Super+ Platinum. Not the best vintage blades but as good as any modern blade that's for sure.
Got two great shaves, third shave was a bit of a struggle. Lots of touch up on the third. Think I'll run with them for a while till I can get my personna stash built up again.

I find some vintage Stainless Blades (Plus Platinums, Personna 74's, Gillette Spoilers) to be way better than any presently produced blades, in both DE and Injector (no Spoilers though in Injector). But old carbon blades haven't worked, though I tried a couple that looked fine ..

Actually, in the early 70's, there were also injector Spoilers
70gilletterazorblades.jpeg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow I'd never come across those back when or floating in the bay ... I stand corrected

I tried an NOS Gillette Blue carbon steel blade. I unwrapped it and it looked brand new.

The shave?

Terrible.

I feel sorry for the guys that had to use them, lacking any other option. We're spoiled.

I tried an NOS Gillette Blue carbon steel blade. I unwrapped it and it looked brand new.

The shave?

Terrible.

I feel sorry for the guys that had to use them, lacking any other option. We're spoiled.
I've stated in previous posts that when I started shaving Gillette Blue blades was about the only blades available where I lived at the time. And believe me, they don't compare to modern stainless blades. :frown2:

As long as they aren't rusted, give the carbon blades a try, you might be surprised. I've used several Gillette Thins in vintage razors that clamp the blade tightly (OTs, NIs and NEWs) and they shave well -- I haven't had as much luck with TTOs that don't hold the blade as tightly. If you have any Wilkinson Sword blades, I can dispose of them properly...

Top Bottom