What's new

To use or not to use: unused Irisch Moos shave stick I didn't know I had

So I was rooting through my giant box o' shave stuff I've accumulated over the years, and towards the bottom I discover a boxed Irisch Moos shave stick that looks to be completely unused. (For those who don't know, Irisch Moos was a shave soap from the same company as Tabac that was discontinued in 2012. Smells a bit like a grown-up version of Irish Spring.) Now, I'm a big fan of Tabac, so I probably got the Irisch Moos in the first place because of that connection and then just never got around to trying it. It's a pleasant scent, and if it's anything like Tabac it'll be a fine soap, but part of me thinks I ought to put it on the B/S/T so someone who really misses Irisch Moos can have it, since I probably won't end up using it that much.

What would y'all do if you discovered you had a rare, out of production soap? Use it, or let it go to someone who'd properly appreciate it?

If a sniff makes you think you won’t give it the consistent use it deserves let it go. I personally have never smelled it and won’t buy discontinued items for fear of liking them too much. That said, I am sure a fan of it would relish the chance to get their hands on it.

Used it NOW!! Dammit!! I love my vintage Sir Irisch Moos shaving stick, I’m glad I’ve got two sticks in my den and the other still going in rotation.

Why? Why? Why? They’ve stopped making the Sir Irisch Moos on market, I love the scent and the soap is made by the same company that makes Tabac shaving soaps

Agreed that it is kinda grown up and matured scent you should use it if you are a tabac fan. There is nothing in market today that smell like Irisch Moose and I read that stick performs as good if not better than Tabac stick. I have a deo stick, EDT and aftershave so you can tell I am a huge fan but never got around to having a shave soap or stick.
If you decide to BST it, I will be interested for sure.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You may regret selling it.
You will never regret using it, it's a great soap.
Use it, enjoy life!

full

If I had never tried it, I would try it. If I have tried it(including just tried it) and think it is unique and enjoyable, I would use. If I think "meh" or worse, I would sell it on B/S/T.

I was PIF'd a stick by a great member and friend, @Parallax. It's a tremendous product with a glorious scent. I would start using it. If you don't like it, the BST is always available. Fans of Irisch Moos won't care if it's NIB.

Since the same company makes Tabac, when it comes to SIR the decision to use or not comes down to scent. If you really like the scent then go for it, performance should be similar if not identical to Tabac.

Or as others have stated, cut off a slice and try it. This way it would be easier to sell it if you decide it is not for you. Plenty of people would be willing to trade if you are looking for something particular.

The decision is completely yours to make. Soap is made to be used and most soaps do not increse enough in value over time for that to be a concern.

Top Bottom