What's new

To upgrade or not

I've been using the tweezerman brush for about a year now, and frankly I'm long overdue for a new brush (IMO). I have a nice boar brush OTW thanks to a very generous PIF (thanks fellow Maynard fan! hah). I had a wally world boar brush for about a day, but it was just too stiff and instead I decided to introduce it to my lady friend, and she used it for a long while. (on her legs :001_rolle)

Face lathering will ensue. And I'm sure it will be great.

So, here's my question. Do you think that I could upgrade from the tweezerman for $34.90 or less (exact amount I have in my account minus rent and college funds!) even for a used brush, or should I just save my money and wait until I have enough to buy a good brush?

If the brush you have (or will soon have from the PIF) is giving you decent lather and you are having good shaves, use your money for more important things. A good shave is great, but there are more important things!

You can upgrade for that price -- check the shopping forum, edwin jagger / the english shaving company currently have a sale and best badger brushes should run just about that much shipped.

Regards.

J

You can upgrade for that price -- check the shopping forum, edwin jagger / the english shaving company currently have a sale and best badger brushes should run just about that much shipped.

Regards.

J

Exactly.

Honestly, be smart: make sure your other bases are covered. But, if you truly have $35 relatively disposable dollars, then you can get the very, very good EJ Best Brush (aka, the C&E BBB that we all rave about--EJ is the manufacturer). This is a brush you don't ever need (note that word: need, not want) to outgrow.

Save up for a rooney :001_smile
your going to want another brush if you buy something now. So I say save your money and spend less in the long run buying a good rooney in super.

style 1/1 or 3/1

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=152

+1, but he did say he HAS to stick with this budget, and if that's the case I say go for the EJ.

But if I could choose in your position, I would save up for the Rooney as well.

Cheers.

J
+1

I'd urge you to save. While the EJ can be your last brush, a Rooney 1/1 or 3/1 is much more likely to be your last brush.

I honestly don't think that there's a huge difference between the Tweezerman and the EJ BBB;
I do think that there's a world of difference between the Tweezerman and the Rooney.

The Tweezerman remains a good brush, and one that I still use to face lather.

Last edited:
If the brush you have (or will soon have from the PIF) is giving you decent lather and you are having good shaves, use your money for more important things. A good shave is great, but there are more important things!

more important things :confused:

more important things :confused:

Yeah, like college. Or food.

Thanks for all the great responses. I think that I'm going to wait and just deal with it. It's not like I get BAD shaves, it would just be nice to have great shaves.

I think when I get back into Chicago I'll stop by Crabtree and Evelyn.

Last edited:
If you are looking to upgrade I would save up for something that you will be happy with for 10-20 years.

Clint

And that will be a Rooney...Wait, Save and you' ll have that shave!

Point, match, win.

So thanks for the advice guys now I just have to keep my AD under control at least until the summer when my college will pay me! (I work there over the summer.)

Save up for a rooney :001_smile
your going to want another brush if you buy something now. So I say save your money and spend less in the long run buying a good rooney in super.

style 1/1 or 3/1

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=152

I have no experience with the EJ Bests, though certainly many swear by it as an excellent, higher end entry level brush. But, I tend to agree with Ambrose. This hobby is addictive, as you know. You're going to want something special and luxurious very soon. Save up another $35 (forgo 4 movies, or one dinner at a restaurant and you're there) and go for the Rooneys that Ambrose describes. They are extraordinary at the going price or for that matter, at any price. P.S. I love the Tweezerman. In my book, its got to be the best value on the market.

Top Bottom