What's new

To the Gem Experts...

I picked up this Gem on the Bay for 5 bucks plus shipping. Nobody else bid on it so I got it for the opening price. The pictures I'm going to share are after a little dish soap and tooth brushing. This thing turned out in great shape with just a couple of scratches. without polish, it gleams like a mirror.

Anyway, My question is... Would you call this a Closed Comb Damaskeene?
It has a curved top cap.
The Handle is what I've seen on other Damaskeene.
Patn 1912 like all others and not a Junior.

It seems like it will hold a standard SE Blade as I use in all my other Gems.

So what is the verdict? Just another Standard Gem with a different handle from 1919 or not?
My main reason for asking is I don't have a Damaskeene in my collection of 11 gems. 12 as of now.

Sorry for the lint and dust in the pics.

IMG_20220806_133043636.jpg
IMG_20220806_133126978.jpg
IMG_20220806_133008768.jpg
IMG_20220806_133326517.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I picked up this Gem on the Bay for 5 bucks plus shipping. Nobody else bid on it so I got it for the opening price. The pictures I'm going to share are after a little dish soap and tooth brushing. This thing turned out in great shape with just a couple of scratches. without polish, it gleams like a mirror.

Anyway, My question is... Would you call this a Closed Comb Damaskeene?
It has a curved top cap.
The Handle is what I've seen on other Damaskeene.
Patn 1912 like all others and not a Junior.

It seems like it will hold a standard SE Blade as I use in all my other Gems.

So what is the verdict? Just another Standard Gem with a different handle from 1919 or not?
My main reason for asking is I don't have a Damaskeene in my collection of 11 gems. 12 as of now.

Sorry for the lint and dust in the pics.

View attachment 1500375View attachment 1500376View attachment 1500377View attachment 1500378
Nice looking razor for $5.00 after cleaning it up. I have the original 1912 I will show & it is a open comb model and was Mfg from 1912-15 and then Gem came out with the new closed comb model 1915-19 that sold with the Damaskeene blades.
The later models after the Damaskeene closed comb models had slight changes to base plate or slight improvements and just called the 1912 model which you own. So all improvements to the 1912 stamped where the handle inserts have most of all improvements incorporated in your razor, basically as good as it gets.
The l912 model has drain ports in base plate with the closed comb which is superior to any open comb for strength & longevity.
Also they changed the base plate with small changes with larger Radis corners on closed comb on some models like the Gem Junior 1912 with slightly deeper blade pocket seat but very minor changes there.
ASR also changed handle designs on some models (tapered baton, straight vertical knurl, plastic .............) for the different brands that where made for the 1912 Everready, 1912 Star + 1912 Radio brands.
ASR also changed top cap designs to increase efficentcy or smoothness and there are some fellows who have collections of changes that are numerous for me to keep track of.
The Gem 1912 with all its models sold millions of razors that is how popular it was to men & some women.
(Gem original 1912 open comb Damaskeene with no drain ports with stropping attachment in the bottom of handle used for carbon steel blades for that era of time.) Very nice tame mid range razor that I still use to this day.
GEM Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom