What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

So I have 2 shaves in with a new-to-me post-war fat handle Tech. I have had a pre-war Tech for some time now. Right now I prefer the pre-war Tech. To me it shaves closer with less effort. The post-war is probably smoother, but I am struggling to find the angle for BBS on it. It seems to have a very narrow window of effective cutting angle. Granted I'm only 2 shaves in. I'll hold onto it a little longer, but if I don't get the angle after awhile I'll BST it.

I love my new Tech SOTD
SOTD-BRG-K_2022-05-31.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: olive wood Shavemac 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Canada
Razor: BRG palladium plated Gillette Fat Handled Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: King C. Gillette (9)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A superb shave. :biggrin:
I'm in love with my shiny new 1940s Tech. :001_wub:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

So I caved and ended up buying a ball end Tech thanks to this thread. Now I've got two razors in the armory, the ball end and the Super Blue.

What's the recommendation on pairing blades with these razors? Should the sharper blades be paired with the lighter razor or the heavier one? The head geometry is essentially the same so the differentiators would be the weight and the feedback from the razor. Feedback from the ball end Tech is more muted due to its greater mass vs the Super Blue.

So I caved and ended up buying a ball end Tech thanks to this thread. Now I've got two razors in the armory, the ball end and the Super Blue.

What's the recommendation on pairing blades with these razors? Should the sharper blades be paired with the lighter razor or the heavier one? The head geometry is essentially the same so the differentiators would be the weight and the feedback from the razor. Feedback from the ball end Tech is more muted due to its greater mass vs the Super Blue.
I really like GSBs and Gillette platinum blades with the ball end tech

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I use Feather, Kai and Perma-Sharp blades in all of my Techs. :)

I am a modern razor guy. I love to look at vintage but I prefer to shave with something new.

It’s David’s love for and raving about Techs that took me to the vintage side finally! I am in the process of acquiring a gold prewar with black plastic handle and a post war fat handle in gold.

I cannot wait to seal the deal and have them in my hands. Too curious to finally know what a Tech shaves like.

Best,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am a modern razor guy. I love to look at vintage but I prefer to shave with something new.

It’s David’s love for and raving about Techs that took me to the vintage side finally! I am in the process of acquiring a gold prewar with black plastic handle and a post war fat handle in gold.

I cannot wait to seal the deal and have them in my hands. Too curious to finally know what a Tech shaves like.

Best,

Guido
The Pre-War Tech is a very special razor. I love shaving with mine. :)

You'll skin question why you've wasted so much money on modern razors... and realize you can spend more on unobtainium vintage!
Tell me about it. The vendor has sooo many shiny objects - I wanted to buy them all!! Luckily for me I have a better part of me (aka the mrs) that keepa me firmly in check. When announcing I bought two razors, she simply quoted me “no dear, this R41 is the last one. I have all I need.” I just did this: 😇😊 and repeated my statement 😅.

Hugh (Heffner) was so right when he said that “the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys” 😋

Best,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just found this thread but thanks to Cal, I have a British Flat Bottom Tech on the way. It appears to be in good condition but I'll probably send it to Back Roads Gold when they get back up and running.

A question, if you don't mind.... My only other DE shave since I was a teen was back in February with a Lupo Aluminum. Does anyone on this thread have experience with both? I realize, I'll know for myself in a week or two but I'm curious. The Lupo shave was less that stellar but I was brand new to wet shaving and was using an Astra Platinum green. Perhaps not the best combination.

I have some Personna Lab blues here, will have some King C Gillette blades by Tuesday and some Wizamet Iridium blades by Tuesday as well. The razor itself isn't due here until August 10th.

What can I expect, do you think. As some of you know, I've using an AC single edge razor exclusively since Feb. 18th, so the Tech is going to be a new adventure for me. My beard is rough enough so I can only get 6 shaves out of any AC blade... and that's with just two blade types. The others were toast in three. I'm trying to quantify my whiskers and how the FB Tech will handle them.

I know it's speculation but I'd like to hear your best guesses. I won't hold anyone to their guess.

In my Tech I like: Feather, Gillette Super Nacet, Gillette Nacet, Shark, in that order. There are some others that I like okay, but these are my favorites. Try these in your FB Tech.

Tell me about it. The vendor has sooo many shiny objects - I wanted to buy them all!! Luckily for me I have a better part of me (aka the mrs) that keepa me firmly in check. When announcing I bought two razors, she simply quoted me “no dear, this R41 is the last one. I have all I need.” I just did this: 😇😊 and repeated my statement 😅.

Hugh (Heffner) was so right when he said that “the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys” 😋

Best,

Guido
And today I finalised my journey. I found an English Flat Bottom with case very close by, so got in the car and immediately got the razor. All cleaned and sanitised she is ready for tomorrow’s shave. I am using the Shark blade I have used this last week - see where it will take me, but KCG and Titan are on standby.

Best,

Guido

I have tried the Canada Pre-War, US Pre-War, US Post War, NDC English Ball Handle (Heavy), English Flat-Bottomed Tech and the current production super blue Tech.

I like them all, but I prefer the Canada Pre-War, English Flat-Bottomed Tech and Ye Olde Englishe Balle Handle.

I flip/flop amongst those 3 as a favorite, they each are awesome in their own way.

The current production super blue is good, I use it for travel/backpacking. At $5 delivered and super light, it is perfect in that role.
Wait, there's a Tech in production? I thought they quit making them years ago.

Wait, there's a Tech in production? I thought they quit making them years ago.
Yep, there is the Chinese Super Blue Tech, and the Indian Sterling.

Both are very similar, the blades supplied being different. Aluminium heads I believe, the classic Tech style baseplate and end cap 4 corner tabs, and long plastic black handle.

Here is the current Indian Tech
proxy.php

I don't have the Shangai version pic, but doubtless someone will drop an image here.

There are also many, many clones, 'homages' and inspirations from the original design. The AS-D2 Feather being an obvious example of a -------- (fill word in here)

The Tech lives! :letterk1:

Last edited:
Oh, that! Got one in the drawer, unopened. You know how it is...
I do indeed Mike. I really see it.

You are showing the sublime indifference of a man still living in the age of the Tech (1938-Present)

Me too.

See how fluid the boundaries of 'vintage' and current can be, and how we are kinda indifferent until something is definitively gone?

I will be very sad to see the end of production of these last Indian and Chinese holdout Techs' with the Gillette name on them, or their blades, or the cheap card back. Just like the cheap Gillette shipping boxes from the 10's-50's that no one cared about at the time but that go for a fortune now.

Sort of bitter-sweet, the end of a 80-90 year era. I wonder if anyone mourned the end of the Super Speed, or the brass adjustables made by Gillette?

Last edited:
I guess I'm an analog man (thanks, Joe Walsh). I think my first safety razor was a flare tip Super Speed. I know there was a Schick Injector in there a little later but my favorite vintage razor to date has been the ball end Tech. I have a '61 as well as a NDC gold 40's era (?). I also have a war era Flat Bottom Tech but don't like it as well. I think that's mostly to do with the lighter weight and fatter handle. I prefer mild razors and my two favorites are the Ball End Tech and the Feather AS-D2. I find Feathers work well in both razors (along with a variety of other blades).

Top Bottom