What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

I think what he was saying is that if you got all cut up from a Tech, that’s a problem. They are usually quite mild relatively. But the Tech can, and will bite if you have poor technique, an incompatible blade, or a bent baseplate. I personally can’t stand Bic blades, and have had some uncomfortable shaves with them. Make sure your angle is right, and you are using very minimal pressure. The Tech can deliver a superb shave when wielded correctly. Underestimating that the Tech won’t shave you close could have led you to shave too quickly with a new-to-you razor, and that lack of attention to technique could have caused the poor shave results. Don’t give up on the Tech yet. It has lots to offer.
Thank you; that's why I'm here. I think I earned some respect, or possibly fear, for the Tech. I treated it like my Red Tip--a mild shaver that won't bite no matter how much pressure I apply--and just breezed through. Being able to cut me is actually a good sign, as it means there's room for me to grow.

I'm looking forward to subsequent shaves from the Tech!

With tech razors I usually shave with quick short strokes almost like I'm buffing opposed to shaving with longer strokes trying not to keep the razor on my face for too long, also if the tech variant is really mild & light in weight I tend to apply pressure without realising & i can get nicked, so my faster short stroke method helps in my case. I have a thick coarse beard at first I didn't like the milder techs but over time as my Tech technique developed I've learnt to appreciate them. The only ones I say are too mild even for me is the later models with the faceted top as shown in the picture below. All the other tech variants I can get decent shaves from.

vintage-nos-gillette-tech-safety_360_956f958013bfb5dc0e0ad79a68272a24.jpg

If I have very little beard growth the shave I get from certain tech razors isn't good & I can nick myself equally if I haven't shaved for a few days the milder techs can be hard-work mowing down the growth, slow beard reduction with patience is the best way in that case for me personally.

My 2 favourites are the Tri slot (pre war) Canadian tech & the English FB tech they hit the middle ground (Goldilocks zone) well for me, the other Tri slot techs (pre war) USA made & other ones are very good too. All the others- post war (oval slot) ones are good but I only use them when I know it's the right time right day for me.

Also some great advice regarding blades from the gentlemen commenting above. Happy shaves everyone :)

I felt I owed it to the Tech to try again, so today I used the same setup, the later-model gold ball-end Tech (mixed/mystery metals) with a Bic. This time, I treated the razor as if it were aggressive and was rewarded with good results. I backed off the mustache and didn't go ATG and also minimized passes on the lower neck, where it's still irritated from the previous shave. But DFS everywhere else, with only the tiniest nick and no additional irritation.

Still learning! I have a feeling there are better shaves to be had from this razor (and, as this thread suggests, better Techs to be had than this one).

This month I filtered down my razor collection I sold a quite a few different razors modern & vintage that rarely got any use, in return I bought a few Techs as I found some really good bargains all in a short span, it was a good Tech month for me.

First off I got a British Fat Handle Tech in superb condition, though I have the Fat Handle with my Canadian Tech all my English Flat bottom Techs are the one's with the thin handle so it's a great addition to the collection.
20220505_220922_032235.jpg

20220505_213138_032241.jpg

NOS Tech in a blister pack with some amazing blades included. Nickel plated top cap.
20220505_223458_032227.jpg

20220507_014042_032202.jpg

A Ball End Tech similar to my English all brass variant I have that weighs 63g but the difference being this one has an lightweight aluminium baseplate & an aluminium handle too, the head is brass I believe, same etched Gillette logo as it's brass brother. I already have one of these but I wanted one I can use regularly so the other one stays put away & remains in good condition. Not my favourite Tech but very capable. These were usually included in the vintage British grooming kits although they were sold separately too.
20220507_010055_032216.jpg

20220507_005842_032222.jpg

1956 German Tech No5.jpg

This next razor I'm showing isn't a recent purchase I'm showing the razor so it gives context to the next post I make. This is one of the later Techs made, it has the same head as my NOS Tech the one in the blister pack, the only difference these had a embossed Gillette logo & a different colour finish, Same pot metal (zamak) head but these came with an aluminium handle, this is the mildest one from all the Techs in my experience also my least favourite if we're talking Techs.
IMG_20220511_042706.jpg

20220506_232420_032935.jpg

20220506_232259_032930.jpg

Now this one was a surprise I got 2 of them one in a grooming kit the other a day later on it's own once I knew what to look for, this one has the same aluminium spiral handle as the razor I showed above but with a twist, it has a etched Gillette logo on the top cap same how the Ball End Techs have. I've never seen this combination/variant before. Parts used from different times & different razors.
20220510_144950_032956.jpg

20220507_011826_032156.jpg

There's more, the underside of the top cap it hasn't got the long blade bar like all the British Ball End Techs have & like most other Ball Ends too, instead it has the twin tabs like the Flat Bottom Techs & the older Pre War Techs, also the whole head, the top cap & baseplate is all brass nickel plated too. Never seen this combination before, if I have I probably thought it was a mix matched razor, I'm not going to say the difference in the top cap makes it too different to the Ball End Tech but it certainly shaves much better for me, this version has become one of my favourite Tech variants overnight. The plating used on this one is different, quality stunning finish.
20220507_011528_032209.jpg

20220506_231159_032858.jpg

20220506_225111_032843.jpg

SHA_20220506_225929995_8.4.400_032850.jpg

20220511_014442_032212.jpg

The one in the grooming kit is of higher quality, doesn't really show in pictures, the handle is a little longer & has a better/different finish too. Different razors must of been used for different kits depending on the price & so on. Never seen anything like this before.
20220509_232107_032132.jpg

The (regular) shorter handle version, this one is in worse condition compared to the unused one in the grooming kit, well just the top cap, so I will be using this one regularly.
20220509_231358-01_031911.jpeg

20220509_220758_032150.jpg

Last edited:
This thread nudged me to give my grandfather’s tech another try. It is one of those Canadian prewar fat handled techs that get so much appreciation here.

I had been enjoying my Canadian ball end post-war tech (X-2) for several days with a Lord Super Stainless. I am relatively new to that blade, and this was my first try in a tech. It’s a great combination.

I have generally preferred the postwar tech over the prewar one, finding it smoother and also liking the heavier and thinner ball end handle better. This preference was based on how each razor performed with Feather and Bic blades, mostly.

Since I had a Lord SS in the postwar tech, I tried the same in my grandfather’s prewar tech also, for fair comparison.

And... heck yeah. My grandfather’s prewar tech is indeed a step above, at least with this blade. Top tier for smoothness and efficiency.

So thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

BCFA790E-4A23-420F-A206-037571520BB9.jpeg

I received a Gillette Super Blue last week as a way to cheaply try a modern incarnation of the Gillette Tech. I've had 2 shaves with it so far using Personna lab blues and I love it. It's mild, efficient, easy to use and provides great feedback when shaving. No wonder this design has been in production since 1939. The only problem now is that I'm tempted to buy a vintage copy. That brass construction is tempting :001_tt1:

I received a Gillette Super Blue last week as a way to cheaply try a modern incarnation of the Gillette Tech. I've had 2 shaves with it so far using Personna lab blues and I love it. It's mild, efficient, easy to use and provides great feedback when shaving. No wonder this design has been in production since 1939. The only problem now is that I'm tempted to buy a vintage copy. That brass construction is tempting :001_tt1:
Definitely get some vintage techs. They’re so worth it

It's another early Christmas for me today, yippee! :punk:

I purchased yet another Gillette Flat Bottom Tech and sent it off to Chris at Back Roads Gold for palladium plating, along with an antique Gillette blade bank. I also sent him three NEW/Tech caps for replating. One (also in palladium) for my 1939 RFB (whose original cap aligns blades skew), and two in mirror nickel (one for another FBT and one for my 7 0'clock FBOC).

Chris said palladium was just a tad lighter/brighter than mirror nickel. I thought my eyesight was pretty good... but they look exactly the same to me.

There's no way I can compete with Chris's pics, so here they are:
BRG-1of3_2022-05-25.jpg

BRG-2of3_2022-05-25.jpg

BRG-3of3_2022-05-25.jpg

I can only say that I'm MORE THAN PLEASED. :001_wub:

USPS First Class International normally takes a week (give or take a couple of days) to get from the US to me in the UK. This time it was 14 very long days.

Naturally, I planned to shave with my new palladium plated Fat Handled Flat Bottom Tech on its day of arrival. So, after admiring all of Chris's work and playing around with my new toys... off for a shave!

SOTD
SOTD-BRG-Y_2022-05-25.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Canada
Razor: BRG Gillette Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: King C. Gillette (5)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A superb shave. :biggrin:
Back Roads Gold magic: :sorcerer: My newly palladium plated Flat Bottom Tech (yes, another FBT) performs even better than all the others.

I'm really loving the Canada soap now (fourth shave on the books) and am down to three seconds loading time. :w00t:

The rest of the team performed admirably too (of course). :001_smile

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

I purchased yet another Gillette Flat Bottom Tech and sent it off to Chris at Back Roads Gold for palladium plating, along with an antique Gillette blade bank. I also sent him three NEW/Tech caps for replating. One (also in palladium) for my 1939 RFB (whose original cap aligns blades skew), and two in mirror nickel (one for another FBT and one for my 7 0'clock FBOC).

Chris said palladium was just a tad lighter/brighter than mirror nickel. I thought my eyesight was pretty good... but they look exactly the same to me.

There's no way I can compete with Chris's pics, so here they are:
BRG-1of3_2022-05-25.jpg

BRG-2of3_2022-05-25.jpg

BRG-3of3_2022-05-25.jpg

I can only say that I'm MORE THAN PLEASED. :001_wub:

USPS First Class International normally takes a week (give or take a couple of days) to get from the US to me in the UK. This time it was 14 very long days.

Naturally, I planned to shave with my new palladium plated Fat Handled Flat Bottom Tech on its day of arrival. So, after admiring all of Chris's work and playing around with my new toys... off for a shave!

SOTD
SOTD-BRG-Y_2022-05-25.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Canada
Razor: BRG Gillette Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: King C. Gillette (5)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A superb shave. :biggrin:
Back Roads Gold magic: :sorcerer: My newly palladium plated Flat Bottom Tech (yes, another FBT) performs even better than all the others.

I'm really loving the Canada soap now (fourth shave on the books) and am down to three seconds loading time. :w00t:

The rest of the team performed admirably too (of course). :001_smile

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Back Roads Gold, uh, prices? I have a few razors that need some touching up.

~doug~

(...)

A very nice choice, Cal ! 😎 Palladium is a metal of the Platinum family, including Rhodium as well, if i'm not mistaken. It also looks almost the same as Rhodium while being much less expensive...🤓

Another awesome work from Chris, as usual !

Now this one was a surprise I got 2 of them one in a grooming kit the other a day later on it's own once I knew what to look for, this one has the same aluminium spiral handle as the razor I showed above but with a twist, it has a etched Gillette logo on the top cap same how the Ball End Techs have. I've never seen this combination/variant before. Parts used from different times & different razors.
View attachment 1453791

View attachment 1453788

There's more, the underside of the top cap it hasn't got the long blade bar like all the British Ball End Techs have & like most other Ball Ends too, instead it has the twin tabs like the Flat Bottom Techs & the older Pre War Techs, also the whole head, the top cap & baseplate is all brass nickel plated too. Never seen this combination before, if I have I probably thought it was a mix matched razor, I'm not going to say the difference in the top cap makes it too different to the Ball End Tech but it certainly shaves much better for me, this version has become one of my favourite Tech variants overnight. The plating used on this one is different, quality stunning finish.
View attachment 1453787

View attachment 1453794
View attachment 1453789
View attachment 1453790
View attachment 1453798

The one in the grooming kit is of higher quality, doesn't really show in pictures, the handle is a little longer & has a better/different finish too. Different razors must of been used for different kits depending on the price & so on. Never seen anything like this before.
View attachment 1453795

The (regular) shorter handle version, this one is in worse condition compared to the unused one in the grooming kit, well just the top cap, so I will be using this one regularly.
View attachment 1453796
View attachment 1453797

Nice Tech but even more so the zippered case! Looks like a generic (not Gillette) case? Would love to find one of those for my travel set!

Any pics of the exterior? Is it leather, leatherette or?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Looking at all these fabulous razors I can‘t remember if I posted this before. But this one is one of my absolute favorites - the French market 1950 hollow fat handle. This handle is just real nice and the razor is the one I use the most of all in my den - love that thing!

View attachment 1462084
I tried getting one of those from Asia, but Covid shipping restrictions prevented me ftom the sale. Congrats on the score.

Well, you should get some vintage Techs. :D They're really not expensive at all if you're patient. Check out the BST forum here. You can find some user grade examples in good shape.

I'd suggest getting both an early 1950s model and an early 1940s model. Both should be all-brass. Get one fat handle and one ball end handle and see what you like. There's also some English models like @Cal showed above, those usually cost quite a bit more, though.

Looking at all these fabulous razors I can‘t remember if I posted this before. But this one is one of my absolute favorites - the French market 1950 hollow fat handle. This handle is just real nice and the razor is the one I use the most of all in my den - love that thing!
Interesting razor. I think all fat handles are hollow, does that one feel very different?

Nice Tech but even more so the zippered case! Looks like a generic (not Gillette) case? Would love to find one of those for my travel set!

Any pics of the exterior? Is it leather, leatherette or?
Sorry about the late reply, the case is generic like most of the British grooming sets had, it's black smooth leather with a brush at the bottom (nylon hair) it's one of them brush-cases I'm sure you must have seen them around, this one is nice, most of the ones I've seen are brown in colour and they usually have one of them Ball-end techs that come with a aluminium baseplate & handle, I never one like this in black before, glad it was unused the case & razor are both in superb condition. I now know what case to look out for if I wanted to find that particular tech razor for friends.
20220528_002930.jpg

20220528_003001.jpg

20220528_003048.jpg

I put a lighter on top so you can get an idea of the size, it's tiny but very neat looking.

Last edited:
Sorry about the late reply, the case is generic like most of the British grooming sets had, it's black smooth leather with a brush at the bottom (nylon hair) it's one of them brush-cases I'm sure you must have seen them around, this one is nice, most of the ones I've seen are brown in colour and they usually have one of them Ball-end techs that come with a aluminium baseplate & handle, I never one like this in black before, glad it was unused the case & razor are both in superb condition. I now know what case to look out for if I wanted to find that particular tech razor for friends.
View attachment 1462910
View attachment 1462911
View attachment 1462912
I put a lighter on top so you can get an idea of the size, it's tiny but very neat looking.
Thanks! Yes I know these ones. I wonder if it would be possible to remove the brush part? :confused1

Top Bottom