What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

Zamak?

KIMG0156_01_BURST1000156_COVER.JPG

I'm not too sure as there was some confusion over the materials used at that time these razors where produced. Here's thread you might find helpful.

Sorry I missed this one, looks like there was 3 different Contract tech sets in total, not 2, here's the gold one, the materials on each might differ. I'm sure one of my friends has this set i remember seeing this box before & him showing me a gold tech razor inside, looks beautiful in gold.
1946 (R1 on blade) Contract Tech.jpeg

I picked a used Tech up, over the weekend, in an antique store. I don't think it's rare or special, but can anyone hazard a guess on the age?:

View attachment 1446817

View attachment 1446818

No idea what happened to the plating (I keep a thin coating of Ballistol on it), but it's an enjoyable shaver.

Looks like a Contract Tech:
View attachment 1446824
Should be a great razor! :)
I think it’s probably a surplus military version. Then as mentioned above there’s a gold plated version with the postwar base plate which I think was only sold in 1946
I think during the war years various metals were used including zamak.

Edit: I have a postwar version which is probably my favorite version of tech

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning I know you can make out differences (in how the razors shave) between the various generations of Techs. Have you noticed differences between Canadian vs US Pre-War, and Canadian vs US Post-War?
From an earlier post: There are many experienced shavers who state that there is no difference between the Canadian made vs USA made Pre-War and Post-War Techs. My experiences with these Canadian and USA Techs has convinced me that there is a slight difference - primarily in efficiency - in favor of the Canadian made Techs. Whether you detect a difference, or not, the Pre-War and Post-War Techs that were made in both Canada and the USA are outstanding shaving tools.

After reading through this thread, it's inevitably made me want to buy and try a Tech for myself. Ordered one made in England with a Ball End handle from eBay last night. Looks to be in good condition and for not too much coin, so we'll see when it arrives. I'm afraid I'll probably be too late for Vintage April though! :crying:

After reading through this thread, it's inevitably made me want to buy and try a Tech for myself.

That's a good point !

Ordered one made in England with a Ball End handle from eBay last night.

Nice ! The british ball end Tech #24 (full brass version) is my absolute favourite razor. I hope you will appreciate yours as much as i do with mine !

About the FB Tech, here's another version, which is probably the least common. The picture isn't mine and I found it on another shaving forum.
I know someone who has that version they sent it to me to try a couple of years ago, unfortunately they only have the head I wonder what handle it came with it, I assume it must of been the classic fat handle. I love all the different Tech razors a lot of them do shave similarly but it's the small things the different traits/oddities of them all that I love & appreciate. I'm pretty well versed on all the British Tech razors but I'm still learning everyday about those that were made elsewhere as there were so many of them made.

So my ball-end tech arrived today. Extremely quick delivery, maybe I will make Vintage April after all!

1651239966439.jpg

It looks to be in very good condition. The only thing which is slightly disappointing is that it seems to be an aluminium handle and baseplate, similar to the one below. It wasn't advertised on the listing so I took a bit of a punt. I'm just happy to have my first Tech (and vintage razor) and it will make an ideal travel razor at only 30g. Swings and roundabouts!

Will report back after the first shave, any recommended blade pairings are welcome!

proxy.php

I bought a golden Tech to use its ball-end handle on an Old Type and never planned to use the Tech head, which felt flimsy and cheap. Today, I had a little stubble on a day I don’t usually shave and decided to do a quick beard reduction.

Aiming for a two-pass CCS, I reached for the Tech. I wanted to leave a little stubble for tomorrow and figured that the Tech couldn’t shave me that close but at least it wouldn’t cut me. I loaded up a Bic and went for it.

We’ll, the Tech surprised me. I actually got my first cut with the grain, which is pretty rare. Figuring it was a fluke, I kept going. The second pass, across the grain, gave me many more cuts, all over my face. Definitely the worst second pass I’ve had since my early days of traditional shaving.

Really not sure what I did wrong. My go-to razors are NEW SC and Old Types, sometimes a Slim. None of them cut me until the ATG pass, and usually only if I push too hard for BBS or use an unsuitable blade.

(...) We’ll, the Tech surprised me. I actually got my first cut with the grain, which is pretty rare. Figuring it was a fluke, I kept going. The second pass, across the grain, gave me many more cuts, all over my face. Definitely the worst second pass I’ve had since my early days of traditional shaving.

Really not sure what I did wrong. My go-to razors are NEW SC and Old Types, sometimes a Slim. None of them cut me until the ATG pass, and usually only if I push too hard for BBS or use an unsuitable blade.

It's surprising because i have made many super close shaves (clean look = 14 h) with my UK Tech #24 & many times without getting any red point, even after 2 ATG passes... (i always do 4 passes)

So we have a problem here. But i know that not any model can win unanimous support.

For instance, i tried the 3 pieces Old Type genuine several weeks ago, this one :

1920s Genuine.jpg

To me, this is by far the worst Gillette model i've tried so far : completely ineffective on my tough italian beard ! So we can see that Old Type can't win unanimous support either...

It's surprising because i have made many super close shaves (clean look = 14 h) with my UK Tech #24 & many times without getting any red point, even after 2 ATG passes... (i always do 4 passes)

So we have a problem here. But i know that not any model can win unanimous support.

For instance, i tried the 3 pieces Old Type genuine several weeks ago, this one :

To me, this is by far the worst Gillette model i've tried so far : completely ineffective on my tough italian beard ! So we can see that Old Type can't win unanimous support either...
There’s not a problem. I’m sharing a bad first-shave experience with people who understand and appreciate Techs.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
There’s not a problem. I’m sharing a bad first-shave experience with people who understand and appreciate Techs.
I think what he was saying is that if you got all cut up from a Tech, that’s a problem. They are usually quite mild relatively. But the Tech can, and will bite if you have poor technique, an incompatible blade, or a bent baseplate. I personally can’t stand Bic blades, and have had some uncomfortable shaves with them. Make sure your angle is right, and you are using very minimal pressure. The Tech can deliver a superb shave when wielded correctly. Underestimating that the Tech won’t shave you close could have led you to shave too quickly with a new-to-you razor, and that lack of attention to technique could have caused the poor shave results. Don’t give up on the Tech yet. It has lots to offer.

Top Bottom