What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
No offense sir, but i half disagree. (not sure it is the right English term)

Gillette said that the guard is a fulcrum & it smooths skin ahead... I do agree with that, it is written on the box.

But they never said : you must apply a particular steep angle with the Tech model to get the optimal result.

--> I can assure you that the Tech safety bar is also a fulcrum when you apply the regular neutral angle. I checked it again this morning, just to be sure. 🧐

So people can apply a steep angle if they prefere to use it, no problem with that, of course. But i don't think it's true to say that the correct angle of the Tech is a steep angle... 🤔

We take a different meaning from the instructions on the Tech box. As with most things in our hobby, what works for one shaver may not work for another.

As long as the technique you use gives you excellent results, that's great. :)

We take a different meaning from the instructions on the Tech box.
And don't forget the old advertisement too (same as the 4 WAYS on the box):

Tech-4-Features-Ad.2022-04-05.jpg

FEATURE 3
Non-skid tread prevents razor from side-slipping

FEATURE 4
Solid guard bar smooths skin ahead of shaving edge

Both features tell you that the guard will be on the skin at all times. Obviously the cap may, or may not, touch the skin depending on your chosen angle.

To get my best shave I put the cap slightly on my skin and lower the handle until I get the optimum angle. I make a stroke and adjust if needed. I don't worry about steep angles or anything, just the right angle for the best shave ~ 30 degrees

D8FEB64E-64D2-437A-9FDF-310A39F4F58B.jpeg

It finally crossed the Pacific. I had no idea that ball end handles had some weight to them. A little skinny but if generations of men made it work, I guess I should be ok.

I also noticed that the blade bars on the top cap are longer than a Pre-War's. Looks to be almost one continuous bar, interrupted only by the threaded post. Will use it for the rest of April and report back at month’s end.

Last edited:
You wouldn't know it from the photos. The ball end handles do weight a bit more than the fat handles, since the fat handles are hollow. I like both of them pretty well.
This is good to hear. I just bought a cheap ball-end Tech for its handle, as my Old Type doesn't have a handle of its own (I share a common bar handle with the NEW). I'm hoping it gets me close enough to the look of the Old Type ball-end handle but without being a piece of junk like the Old Type ball-end handle.

This is good to hear. I just bought a cheap ball-end Tech for its handle, as my Old Type doesn't have a handle of its own (I share a common bar handle with the NEW). I'm hoping it gets me close enough to the look of the Old Type ball-end handle but without being a piece of junk like the Old Type ball-end handle.
There's a replica handle offered by Razor Emporium in Arizona for around $25. Not sure if you have seen that one.

1649768776544.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tech Tuesday
Razor: Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech (Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Prometheus Churning Candy Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WCS Duck Fat Fougère
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Classic Match Oud EdT Spray
20220412_133405~2.jpg

Superb Razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11727473

I've used the Post-War Ball End for ten or eleven shaves now and can attempt a comparison with the Pre-War Fat Handle I've had for years.

Between the two, I think the Post-War is more efficient for me. Both shave well but in terms of ease of removing whiskers, the Post-War has a slight edge (no pun intended.) I'm not sure if this is due to better blade support (slightly domed base plate, longer blade bars on the top cap) but that's what I've experienced thus far.

In terms of handling, I like the heavier weight of the Ball End but miss the larger diameter of the Fat Handle. The skinny profile isn't that troublesome for me, but I do have to be a little more careful when rotating the handle during passes.

I don't think someone new to DE shaving (or even Techs) will immediately pick up such differences so if I a friend asked me "Which Tech should I get for a first vintage razor?", I'd say "Get the cleanest one you can, at the lowest price you can, and enjoy."

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In terms of handling, I like the heavier weight of the Ball End but miss the larger diameter of the Fat Handle.
This is the reason I will often use a modern handle with a Tech. I can get heavier and fatter, which both make the Tech shave better. I like to use the smaller Charcoal Goods handles like the Maze and Hammered. Makes a perfect match with a Tech. Less expensive handles like the Razorock Barber Pole also go great with a Tech too.

This is the reason I will often use a modern handle with a Tech. I can get heavier and fatter, which both make the Tech shave better. I like to use the smaller Charcoal Goods handles like the Maze and Hammered. Makes a perfect match with a Tech. Less expensive handles like the Razorock Barber Pole also go great with a Tech too.

I have an old Bob Quinn handle that I bought from a friend a few years ago. I'm still on the road but once I get home, I plan on trying it with the Tech. :)

I picked up another British Thin Handle Flat Bottom Tech I already have 2 of them but this one looked like it was in excellent condition also it was cheaper than a tuck of blades so i thought why not. It was left in a loft for many many years according to the seller so it had some black spots on it which I knew wasn't anything major. Not much difference in the before & after pictures as it already looked good, but it did shine, glisten & gleam more after i gave it a scrub with some hot water & dish soap, nothing more. Pretty sure it was unused or barely used. Nowadays I only try to buy vintage razors which are in good condition which are difficult to find now in 2022.

Before
20220427_152948_085900.jpg

After
20220427_195925_085936.jpg

20220427_200537_085925.jpg

SHA_20220427_201331109_8.4.400_085918.jpg

The British thin handle techs that are seen on eBay & other places are usually always from this set below (mr-razors picture used) it was the only thin handle set I could find on mr-razors site i went through all the sets one by one
1940s thin handle Tech in Bakelite England.jpeg

So it got me thinking I have another tech razor which also has the same handle design like the fat handle techs do & like this thin handle tech above does but the difference being it's a little shorter & ever so slightly thicker, also the knurling it has is slightly different compared to the thin handle set above. The thin handle techs with this particular handle design were only made in England.

Here's a picture of the 2 different thin handles, the shorter one is the one in question, it's ever so slightly thicker but the weight feels similar to to me. It also has a duller finish (even when polished, no matter what it stays the same, looks new & nice but it has a matte like finish)
IMG_20200225_181140_2.jpg

After a good while going through mr-razors site I think I found it, on the picture it deceivingly looks like a fat handle tech but if you look at the baseplate & compare the size with the handle then it makes sense, also the tiny box gives the illusion & makes the razor appear to look bigger than it is, also the knurling is exactly the same (Tech Set Argentina, Made in England)
Screenshot_20220427-185616.jpg

1940s Tech Set Argentina.jpg

I know many people like longer/bigger handles but specifically when using tech razors I usually stick with the stock handles, on a smaller low profile narrow razor head I like to use a small short handle because I usually hold the razor near the very top so the handle doesn't matter much to me, the short handle just needs to have a little weight to it & I'm good. Also I'm one of few who prefers the smaller thinner solid piccolo handle when it comes to the Fatip razors but other then that when using my other razors which have heavier heads i prefer to use bigger handles.

I also was curious to know which set my hollow handle razor tech belonged to because I threw out the case when I received it as it was in bad condition, the razor inside was unused & still in the cellophane wrap.

This beauty here
IMG_20200225_180232_2-01.jpeg

As shown below there were only 2 sets with this particular handle on mr-razors website
1940s Tech Zip England.jpeg

1943 (N2 on Blade) Service Set No11 England.jpeg

By looking at the difference in the font style used on the stamp on the baseplate I managed to figure it out it's the first set above. I love this razor it's finish is stunning, my bad pictures don't do it justice
IMG_20200225_182144_2-01.jpeg

L- Thin Handle Tech R- Hollow Handle Tech

Also just to mention something unnecessary & random that Argentina Set (made in England) short thin handle tech I talked about above has the same font style as all the regular thin handle tech & all the other flat bottom techs, it's only this hollow handle tech from my tech collection that has this different font style used on the stamp.

Happy shaves gentlemen :smile1:

I picked a used Tech up, over the weekend, in an antique store. I don't think it's rare or special, but can anyone hazard a guess on the age?:

KIMG0155.JPG

KIMG0154.JPG

No idea what happened to the plating (I keep a thin coating of Ballistol on it), but it's an enjoyable shaver.

I picked a used Tech up, over the weekend, in an antique store
Nice score, as @never-stop-learning mentioned above that's a Contract Tech it's a wonderful shaver, there is one more contract tech set, which has a silver baseplate but the same black top cap & handle as the one you have. That's the one I have, both of them are similar but the one you have is built ever so slightly better, a little more sturdier, also the one you have has a thicker top cap, the one you have has a prewar baseplate unlike the silver which has the oval shape postwar baseplate. Hope you have many great shaves from it :adoration:
1945 Contract Tech beschriftet Logo.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom