What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The humble Gillette Tech. Many shavers, at some point, end up shaving with the humble Gillette Tech. According to the B&B WIKI (Tech - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Tech), Techs were manufactured from ~1939 to ~1979. From examples pictured in the B&B 'The Tech Clone Wars' thread (The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/), Tech style clones are still being made to this day.

In my Den, I have Techs of many styles & vintages, and have shaved with a bunch of them. Don't remember ever getting a truly 'bad' shave from a Tech. Having said that, there are several Techs that (in my opinion) are very capable of providing true, top tier results - especially when paired with larger diameter handles (big hands), really sharp blades and when used at a steep angle.

Preferred handles: Timeless Titanium, TiBam Titanium, Evgeny Koshelev Titanium, Charcoal Goods Copper, Charcoal Goods Brass.

Preferred blades: Feather, Perma-Sharp, Kai, Personna Israeli Platinum Red, Personna Med Prep, Wizamet Super Iridium.

So, which Techs can hold their own with the best in current and vintage razors? 🤔

Here are my personal Top Tier Techs:

1. Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England): Firmly positioned in my 'Big Dogs' Category and my #1 Vintage DE. To quote @Hannah's Dad, the Tech/NEW Hybrid shaves "Just Like Buttah".
20220313_100345~2.jpg

2. Gillette Pre-War (Canada*): The Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech is an outstanding vintage razor. Wonderful in use and performance! Yes, it really is that good and is positioned in my 'Big Dogs' Category, albeit below the Tech/NEW Hybrid.
20220313_100404~2.jpg

3. (Tie) Gillette #34 (Germany): Mild, smooth and effective. Provides great results. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs', Borderline 'Big Dog'.
20220313_100422~2.jpg

3. (Tie) Gillette Flat Bottom (England) Medium, smooth and effective. Provides great results. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs', Borderline 'Big Dog'.
20220313_100438~2.jpg

3. (Tie) Gillette Post-War (Canada*): Really great blade support. Offers a solid and controlled shave. Mild, smooth and effective. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs'.
20220313_100500~2.jpg

*Please note: There are many experienced shavers who state that there is no difference between the Canadian made vs USA made Pre-War and Post-War Techs. My experiences with these Canadian and USA Techs has convinced me that there is a slight difference - primarily in efficiency - in favor of the Canadian made Techs. Whether you detect a difference, or not, the Pre-War and Post-War Techs that were made in both Canada and the USA are outstanding shaving tools.

Left to right:
20220313_100642~2.jpg

English Flat Bottom, German 34, Tech/NEW Hybrid, Canadian Pre-War, Canadian Post-War.
20220313_100253~2.jpg

There are tons more Techs to discuss, like the mid-1950s English #24 (my #6 ranked Tech), the Open Comb Techs, Contract Techs, mid-1960s Techs, Ball End Handle Techs, Aluminum Techs, Bakelite Handle Techs, Travel Techs and many more. I figured I'd stick to my personal Top 5 Techs and elaborate a bit on why I like them.

So, do you even like Techs? What are your favored Techs? Do you agree, or disagree, with my choices?

I look forward to our conversations. :cool:

I like the Gillette Tech. However, it's too mild for my tough old whiskers, unless I make 4 passes. Even then, it's marginal. My fav is the (nickel?) pre-war Tech with triangular holes and thick handle. It's a bit more aggressive than the thin ball-end handle of later years.

The aggression can be pumped up with a shim or two, a Feather or a Kai blade, and loosening the head maybe 1/8 of a turn.

I like the simplicity and the agility of the Gillette Tech.

Does anyone know the origin and meaning of the name, Tech? Does it stand for technology, or technical? If so, I would have thought the name Tech would be better applied to the mechanical sophistication of the slightly later TTO Gillette.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like the Gillette Tech. However, it's too mild for my tough old whiskers, unless I make 4 passes. Even then, it's marginal. My fav is the (nickel?) pre-war Tech with triangular holes and thick handle. It's a bit more aggressive than the thin ball-end handle of later years.

The aggression can be pumped up with a shim or two, a Feather or a Kai blade, and loosening the head maybe 1/8 of a turn.

Does anyone know the origin and meaning of the name, Tech? Does it stand for technology, or technical? If so, I would have thought the name Tech would be better applied to the mechanical sophistication of the slightly later TTO Gillette.
With my barbed wire, chaotic whiskers, I only shoot for DFS. A four pass steep angle shave using my Pre-War Tech, equipped with a Feather or Kai blade, gets me there every time without blood or irritation. :)

I have tried the Canada Pre-War, US Pre-War, US Post War, NDC English Ball Handle (Heavy), English Flat-Bottomed Tech and the current production super blue Tech.

I like them all, but I prefer the Canada Pre-War, English Flat-Bottomed Tech and Ye Olde Englishe Balle Handle.

I flip/flop amongst those 3 as a favorite, they each are awesome in their own way.

The current production super blue is good, I use it for travel/backpacking. At $5 delivered and super light, it is perfect in that role.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have and have had many dozens of Techs. I love them. Something about them that really makes me enjoy the shave... regardless of the shave results.

As much as I LOVE the Hybrid Tech, I sold both of mine not too long ago. I wasnt using them enough, and felt the need to pass them on to fellow gentlemen. And I glad I did. Found excellent homes for both of them. Top tier razor.

I still have quite a few English Flat Bottoms. I really like those too. Fun to shave with. A tad more efficient than the regular models.

i like all Techs really. Never shaved with one that I didnt like. At least not a Gillette anyway. :) There are some hideous clones out there. Good ones too! But I prefer the real deal.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have and have had many dozens of Techs. I love them. Something about them that really makes me enjoy the shave... regardless of the shave results.

As much as I LOVE the Hybrid Tech, I sold both of mine not too long ago. I wasnt using them enough, and felt the need to pass them on to fellow gentlemen. And I glad I did. Found excellent homes for both of them. Top tier razor.

I still have quite a few English Flat Bottoms. I really like those too. Fun to shave with. A tad more efficient than the regular models.

i like all Techs really. Never shaved with one that I didnt like. At least not a Gillette anyway. :) There are some hideous clones out there. Good ones too! But I prefer the real deal.
I am eternally grateful to you, Brad, for selling one of your Hybrids to me.

Thank you, David, for your excellent summation of the various Techs. I don't have the pleasure of having a Hybrid in my den, YET, but concur with the rest of your findings. Isn't it wonderful that a razor so plentiful provides superb shaving results? There are many Techs in my possession, & there always will be.

I think the first Gillette TTO came out in 1934 which would pre date the Tech by about 4 years but I could be wrong.
I like the Gillette Tech. However, it's too mild for my tough old whiskers, unless I make 4 passes. Even then, it's marginal. My fav is the (nickel?) pre-war Tech with

triangular holes and thick handle. It's a bit more aggressive than the thin ball-end handle of later years.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Something about them that really makes me enjoy the shave... regardless of the shave results.
Absolutely! 😍

What's interesting to me is that, even with the barbed wire my beard has evolved into as I've aged, I get great results with my Techs. The English Tech/NEW Hybrid and German 34 aside due to availability, my humble Pre-War Tech with the Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle, a Feather blade and used steep is absolutely capable of Top Tier results. It may take an extra pass (or not - depends on the results I'm chasing for that shave), but the result is a nice DFS to DFS++ without blood or irritation. A nice relaxed shave and result with a very relaxed and comfortable post shave face feel. :001_wub:

This is why all five of these humble Gillette Techs remain in my regular shaving rotation. :cool:

100% agree that English Hybrid Tech's are the best but I've never had a bad shave from anything 1960s and older. I'll always have a soft spot for the etched one with ball handle as it was my very first razor. They're absolutely the best bang for the buck, if you get the angle right.

It does help when most vintage dealers in the wild don't know a Hybrid Tech from any fat-handled one :)

The humble Tech. The fat handled version is the best, particularly the hybrid. I have an aluminium handled one from the '40s or '50s that is quite nice. Really, though, they are too mild for me.

Top Bottom